curvenut
Hi,

I just saw Masi CX Comp 2016 bike on sale in a bikeshop for 700$
The bike is made of steel, mounted on Tiagra and weighted 13kg.

Here the specs I found of the bike (this is no the shop where I found it) below 

What is your general opinion of this bike as a Gravel / Cyclocross ?
Is it too heavy at 13kg ? bad look ? nice look ? steel not good for gravel ?

I will use is for commuting as well as gravel bike (50% / 50%)

Thanks !

[masi-cx-comp-56cm-2016-cyclocross_1_3d68a169a668bb2508f586f7de02ee79] 
[masi-cxr-comp-copy-239198-1] 

Specs

FrameMasi CX disc frame, double butted chromoly w/ rack & fender mounts
ForkMasi segmented CX chromoly fork w/ disc mounts, lowrider rack & fender mounts
Rims/WheelsWeinmann XC-180
HubsAluminum
SpokesStainless
TiresKenda Small Block, 700x 35c
CranksetFSA Vero Cross
Chainrings46/36
Front DerailleurShimano Tiagra
Rear DerailleurShimano Tiagra
Rear CogsShimano CS-4600, 10-speed: 12-30
ShiftersShimano Tiagra
HandlebarsBrev. M, aluminum
Tape/GripsMasi cork
StemBrev. M, aluminum
Brake LeversShimano Tiagra
BrakesPromax, mechanical disc, 160/140mm rotors
SaddleBrev. M Classic
Seat PostBrev. M
Quote 0 0
Cmtgravel
I have a 2016 Masi CXGR and i love it. Yes, its heavy. But there are a lot of bikes twice the price that weigh the same. I recently weighed mine, and with pedals,bottle cages,and frame pump in place it was 25.2lbs. Mine has 105, which shifts nearly as well as my road bike Ultegra. Ive upgraded in places (wheels and tires, cockpit,etc) and tweaked the gearing to my personal tastes. I feel Masi makes a great bike at a reasonable price, and somehow they seem to get overlooked. Mine came in black and red color scheme that looks really sharp. 
Quote 0 0
tclong03
I have a 2015 masi cx comp steel bike which is also heavy but rides like a dream.  Also have a 2017 raleigh willard Aluminum bike.  Only problem is I am a bigger guy and part of me wants the ride of the aluminum to achieve any advantage that I can.  But riding that Masi is a little slower but is so cool and more comfortable.   Masi also makes some very unique looking paint schemes to throw in that retro look also....   Love the Masi...
Quote 0 0
chas
In my experience, steel looses nothing in a long ride - probably gains in comfort.  For short hard rides, sprinting, hard climbing - I'd choose something different from my quiver.  
Quote 0 0
Cmtgravel
I have the Masi CXGR 2016 with 105 group and i love it! When i last weighed it, it came in at 25.2 lbs with pedals, cages, and pump. Pretty respectable, esp compared to other steel options that cost more. It rides great, is super stable, and I know that with proper care will prob outlast me. I can't say that about aluminum or carbon frames. Brand new was  $1500, which was one of the best deals i could find at the time, and i did a lot of research. The paint schemes are super classy ( i've gotten compliments on this bike from people on bikes costing 5x as much), and they have old school Masi logo metal head tube badges! How cool is that?  I feel this brand is often overlooked, perhaps cuz a few years ago they were bought by BMX brand Haro. But i love mine!
Quote 0 0
Cmtgravel
I should add that the Weinmann wheels it came with lasted me about a year. I crashed it hard at the end of season, perhaps that weakened them, but after the 1st year spokes kept breaking, and i bent a rim. Replaced with a set of Vuelta wheels i got on sale from Bike Nashbar for $250, and things have been great ever since.
Quote 0 0
chas
Ah, I miss nashbar - reasonably priced components when I needed to replace something on an older bike...
Quote 0 0
Cmtgravel
They still exist online. Not with the obscure parts inventory they once had when they were a catalog store, but you can still find some treasures at decent prices.
Quote 0 0