Zurichman Show full post »
BrazAd

I just bought a Soma Double Cross that has WTB Riddler 37 tires on it. I'm a roadie who is looking to ride the dirt and gravel roads that are all around me down here in southwest Georgia.

I set the bike up last night and did my first ride on it today. I weigh 240 and pumped the back tire up to 55 psi (max recommended). On asphalt the tire looks like it's low to my eyes, but it rides fine.

Should I bump it to 60? Or??

Thanks,

Gary

Quote 0 0
Koyote
BrazAd wrote:

I just bought a Soma Double Cross that has WTB Riddler 37 tires on it. I'm a roadie who is looking to ride the dirt and gravel roads that are all around me down here in southwest Georgia.

I set the bike up last night and did my first ride on it today. I weigh 240 and pumped the back tire up to 55 psi (max recommended). On asphalt the tire looks like it's low to my eyes, but it rides fine.

Should I bump it to 60? Or??

Thanks,

Gary

Are you using tubes, or tubeless?
Quote 0 0
BrazAd
Tubeless with Mavic Ksyrium rims.

Gary
Quote 0 0
Koyote
Your psi is too high for tubeless, even if you weight 240 lbs. Remember that the main benefit of tubeless is the ability to run lower psi and not suffer pinch flats. Yeah, the tire will look lower, might even look underinflated. Just go with it. 

Heavier riders may need to weigh in (ha ha!), but if I were you, I'd probably start at about 40f/45r psi and see how it feels. Definitely don't pump them past 55 psi.
Quote 0 0
BrazAd
Koyote wrote:
Your psi is too high for tubeless, even if you weight 240 lbs. Remember that the main benefit of tubeless is the ability to run lower psi and not suffer pinch flats. Yeah, the tire will look lower, might even look underinflated. Just go with it. 

Heavier riders may need to weigh in (ha ha!), but if I were you, I'd probably start at about 40f/45r psi and see how it feels. Definitely don't pump them past 55 psi.

Thanks - that's exactly the kind of information I'm needing! I run Continental Grand Prix 4000 on my road bike so sidewall flex is barely noticeable when I glance down. Seeing a fair amount of sidewall flex on these tires had me concerned yesterday! But I'm starting to realize that it's a different tire altogether...

Gary
Quote 0 0
Zurichman
I weigh 205-206 I run 40 rear 35 front. If I know the course is more roadie I run 45 rear 40 front. Like others have said the benefit of running tubeless is to lower the tire pressure to take the rough stuff out of your hands. Good luck

Zman
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
Quote 0 0
JHand
Yes, I ran the 37's all of last year. Love them.  Fast rolling on pavement and gravel.  Excellent traction in the gravel, without being overkill.  I recently switched to Compass tires, because everyone locally raves about them, and I hate them. Pain in the arse to get to seal up.  Never had any issues with the Riddlers, other than that the sidewalls weep a little (with Stans) if you leave the bike hanging for a long time. I will likely be going back to them, over giving the Schwalbe G Ones a try at 35mm. 
Quote 0 0
fenderperry
I love these tires, it will be my second year rolling with them.
Quote 1 0
Fattirejohn
I've put around 600 miles on these 45 riddlers with no flats, black top gravel and some pretty gnarly north Idaho single track. As you can see the rear tire is almost worn through and still didn't crap out.I love them!! I will be switching to black walls though, mainly because my SL 6 Carbon is all black 
Quote 1 0
Zurichman
Fattirejohn wrote:
I've put around 600 miles on these 45 riddlers with no flats, black top gravel and some pretty gnarly north Idaho single track. As you can see the rear tire is almost worn through and still didn't crap out.I love them!! I will be switching to black walls though, mainly because my SL 6 Carbon is all black 

Fattirejohn that seems like a lot of wear for only 600 miles but then if you are doing all that gnarly North Idaho single track I guess not eh?

Zman
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
Quote 0 0
Fattirejohn
May have a lot to do with the fact that I'm 6'3" and 228lbs and a 20 year veteran mountain biker so I push it to it's limits! 
Quote 0 0
Zurichman
Fattirejohn wrote:
May have a lot to do with the fact that I'm 6'3" and 228lbs and a 20 year veteran mountain biker so I push it to it's limits! 

I only wish I had a tad bit of your veteran mountain biker experience Fattirejohn. When it comes to the techy stuff or single track I am a wuss and although I am somewhat getting there probably will never be my strong suit.

Zman
Quote 0 0
DrBagg
Zurichman wrote:
Curious if anybody has ever ridden the WTB Riddler 700 X 37 TCS Fast Rolling Light?

Because of this review https://granfondo-cycling.com/the-best-gravel-tire/

I decided to give them a try. They are still brand new in the package and if anybody has used them and have negative issues with them I would love to hear about that.

This is for a all purpose race day tire for the new wheels oleritter is building for me.

Many thanks
Zman
  I ran them, might run them again, but this happened to my front tire,vthis past saturday. Up until then, they were flawless, fast, no flats. Had some miles on them, but just not sure there was enough to do delaminate....could have been a bad batch.IMG_20190622_160515.jpg 
Quote 0 0
DrBagg
Zurichman wrote:
Curious if anybody has ever ridden the WTB Riddler 700 X 37 TCS Fast Rolling Light?

Because of this review https://granfondo-cycling.com/the-best-gravel-tire/

I decided to give them a try. They are still brand new in the package and if anybody has used them and have negative issues with them I would love to hear about that.

This is for a all purpose race day tire for the new wheels oleritter is building for me.

Many thanks
Zman
  I ran them, might run them again, but this happened to my front tire,vthis past saturday. Up until then, they were flawless, fast, no flats. Had some miles on them, but just not sure there was enough to do delaminate....could have been a bad batch.IMG_20190622_160515.jpg 
Quote 0 0
Koyote
@DrBagg , that almost looks like the tread was sliced by something. Did anything precipitate this, or did it just come apart, as far as you know?
Quote 0 0
DrBagg
Koyote wrote:
@DrBagg , that almost looks like the tread was sliced by something. Did anything precipitate this, or did it just come apart, as far as you know?

Didn't run over anything, as far as I know, unless I was looking at something other than the road. We had stopped for a minute,cand I noticed it low, and only had 4 miles left. Shot a c02 in it, thought I could make it back (shitty inflator head out 1/2 of ctrge in the air), got two miles out and stopped again. Used a buddy's inflator, got the cartridge about 3/4 into tire and it popped...we all thought it was the bead, till we saw a puff of air coming out of tires center. It sealed, but not good. Wrapped gorilla tape around it like a bandage, but was flat in a mile.  Who knows 🤷‍♂️
Quote 0 0