GP Show full post »
GP
Thanks for the write up Josh! Very interesting.

I'm surprised by the Slate and the 1x. King seems like a cool guy. He's got a nice recap on his blog now. Good read. Also JOM (gravel cyclist) should have a video up soon of the DK200 on YouTube. I love that guy's videos.

Quote 0 0
Nubster
Yeah...the price is silly. Maybe if it was a carbon frame but $3000 for the lowest level Slate and $4200 for the high-end...both are aluminum, crazy. Granted...Lefty forks are a bit expensive but still...my Cannondale F29 mountain bike is a carbon frame and Lefty fork and it wasn't near those prices.
Quote 0 0
drwelby
So was King running tubes?
Quote 0 0
Nubster
Schwalbe G1, 650b x 38mm tires and had 3 flats...so I'm assuming tubes. But I haven't read one way or the other for sure.
Quote 0 0
RoverAl
Interesting , I am curious how many tubes he carried with him. 
Quote 0 0
sgtrobo
Nubster wrote:
Yeah...the price is silly. Maybe if it was a carbon frame but $3000 for the lowest level Slate and $4200 for the high-end...both are aluminum, crazy. Granted...Lefty forks are a bit expensive but still...my Cannondale F29 mountain bike is a carbon frame and Lefty fork and it wasn't near those prices.

i have a cannondale SuperX Rival CX1 with a Roval carbon wheelset, and it's cheaper than the lowest level Slate.

The Slate is ludicrous, both in pricing and their odd reliance on 650b wheels

Quote 0 0
Pattersnap
drwelby wrote:
So was King running tubes?

Started out tubeless, then had to switch to tubes. 
Quote 0 0
GravelCyclist
AmandaNaumanNiner2016-1.jpg

My article about Amanda Nauman's winning bike - Niner BSB 9 RDO.

http://www.gravelcyclist.com/bicycle-tech/featured-bike-amanda-naumans-niner-bsb-9-rdo-dirty-kanza-200-winning-bike/

Pre-race interview of Amanda:
http://www.gravelcyclist.com/videos/2016-dirty-kanza-video-interview-amanda-panda-nauman-of-sdg-factory-team/
Founder/Editor at GravelCyclist.com
Editor at BikeRumor.com

Web/GravelCyclist.com
Facebook/GravelCyclist
Instagram/GravelCyclist
Twitter/GravelCyclist
YouTube/GravelCyclist
Vimeo/GravelCyclist
Quote 0 0
GravelCyclist
GP wrote:
Thanks for the write up Josh! Very interesting. I'm surprised by the Slate and the 1x. King seems like a cool guy. He's got a nice recap on his blog now. Good read. Also JOM (gravel cyclist) should have a video up soon of the DK200 on YouTube. I love that guy's videos.

Thanks GP! [smile]  Video is underway... the footage leading into the mud sector at Mile 5 is killer. Front and rear GoPro's capture the pandemonium nicely.
Editor at BikeRumor.com

Web/GravelCyclist.com
Facebook/GravelCyclist
Instagram/GravelCyclist
Twitter/GravelCyclist
YouTube/GravelCyclist
Vimeo/GravelCyclist
Quote 1 0
IronmanGravelGrinder
GravelCyclist wrote:

Thanks GP! [smile]  Video is underway... the footage leading into the mud sector at Mile 5 is killer. Front and rear GoPro's capture the pandemonium nicely.

Can't wait to see it.  I was thinking of the Tortoise and the Hare story as I rode through un-harmed. The carnage was unbelievable including traversing through all the standing water.  Didn't train for either scenarios but made it...Thank God!

GravelCyclist...Love y'alls videos - thanks for showing race and ride footage, especially to the areas I can't go to.  Keep up the great work/fun.  Question for you:  How do you maintain battery life so well other than ride unbelievably fast?  Please share your setup if you may.

Thanks.
Quote 0 0
GravelCyclist
IronmanGravelGrinder wrote:

Can't wait to see it.  I was thinking of the Tortoise and the Hare story as I rode through un-harmed. The carnage was unbelievable including traversing through all the standing water.  Didn't train for either scenarios but made it...Thank God!

GravelCyclist...Love y'alls videos - thanks for showing race and ride footage, especially to the areas I can't go to.  Keep up the great work/fun.  Question for you:  How do you maintain battery life so well other than ride unbelievably fast?  Please share your setup if you may.

Thanks.

Haha Tortoise and Hare is a great way of putting it.

Video is live here - http://www.gravelcyclist.com/videos/video-2016-dirty-kanza-200-200-gravel-miles-in-emporia-kansas/

Riding unbelievably fast - no [smile] I'm going to post an article about my camera setups soon, a few people have asked me about that. For now, 1 x GoPro 3+ and GoPro 3 (wouldn't mind a 4!). I utilized a Brunton all day battery n the front camera, and sometimes the rear. I use the GoPro Remotes which makes running the cameras so easy, but at Kanza, both remotes ran out of juice, so I was forced to run the cameras in the usual manner - first world problems!

I generally record footage in short blocks... sometimes I leave the camera on standby, and sometimes I turn it off altogether. The key to good footage is sensing when something interesting is going to happen (as in you get lucky), or turn on the camera before some sweet scenery or an interesting group of riders.

You can check out my bike setup from Kanza here which shows the crazy amount of stuff on my handlebars - http://www.gravelcyclist.com/bicycle-tech/featured-bike-joms-parlee-chebacco-as-used-at-2016-dirty-kanza-200/
Editor at BikeRumor.com

Web/GravelCyclist.com
Facebook/GravelCyclist
Instagram/GravelCyclist
Twitter/GravelCyclist
YouTube/GravelCyclist
Vimeo/GravelCyclist
Quote 0 0