GravelMN
I have wide feet, especially across the ball/toe area. In regular hiking or trail shoes (like KEEN Trail Runners) I wear a 10 EE. The only "wide" walkable MTB shoes I've found in the low to mid price bracket were the Shimano SH-M087 and 088. I have the 088s and they fit fine but I'm not fond of the lack of padding around the ankle and get raw spots under the malleolus (ankle bone protrusion) on each side on long hot rides.

The Lake M100s look like a possible option as they come in a true wide but I can't seem to find a place to order them in a size 10w (45w eu) online and the only Lake dealer in my area only carries their winter boots and didn't seem too keen on ordering. The Lake website wasn't much help as I contacted two of the dealers listed in the Twin Cities area and neither said they were currently selling Lake.

Anybody know of a US Lake dealer that has or can get the M100s in wide or know of other walkable MTB shoes that come in wide? The "high volume" toe boxes on D widths on a couple of brands I have tried didn't hack it. The slight amount of extra room just isn't enough, I need a true wide width.

Shoes that look like regular athletic or hiking shoes would be a plus as I like to do my recreational riding in MTB shorts and shirts that don't immediately scream "cyclist" when I'm off the bike.
"Those who say it can't be done should stand aside for those who are doing it."
Quote 0 0
jimmydot
GravelMN, check out Northwave shoes, I had talked to a rep in Colorado a few weeks back and he mentioned that their shoes typically have a wider toe box. the LBS in my area will be getting them in next few months, i wanted to look at their Enduro line, which are in the 120-190$ range.  as an example http://www.northwave.com/en/product/_spider_plus 
Fast as a Turtle in Colorado
2012 Carver Ti | 2014 9:zero:7
http://www.dailymile.com/people/jimmydot
“Be like water… adjust… put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Be water, my friend.” ― Bruce Lee
Quote 0 0
Highlander
I go barefoot most of the time and so my foot is a 12 or 13 EEEE. I have found two shoes that fit: ZEMTerra series and Skora Core model. Have you considered going with a platform pedal and using one of these shoes or your own?

With abandon,
Patrick 
Quote 0 0
jimmydot
Only if these really were coming out http://gearjunkie.com/shimano-vibram-bike-shoe.  Today when ride with platform pedals I wear Vibram SportTrek, great to wear, i can curl my toes to grip the pedals.  
Fast as a Turtle in Colorado
2012 Carver Ti | 2014 9:zero:7
http://www.dailymile.com/people/jimmydot
“Be like water… adjust… put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Be water, my friend.” ― Bruce Lee
Quote 0 0
kennyd

I also have a problem with finding wide shoes, as I wear a 9-9 1/2 EE.  Good thing that Sidi started making their Mega width shoes.  The Sidi Dominator 5's come in a Mega width for wide feet, but they'll set you back $190-$230.  I bought a pair in Fall 2011 to use with Look Quartz cleats on my gravel bike and I really like them, but I don't have to do a lot of walking in them on the Colorado gravel/dirt roads.  With shoes (both on and off the bike) I've found that "you get what you pay for" as far as durability and comfort, but completely understand budget constraints.

Quote 0 0
GravelMN
Thanks for the info, everyone.

Jimmydot, I like the looks of some of the Northwave shoes. I looked online and ran into the same problem as I did with Lake, only a few suppliers and usually a very limited range of sizes. I'll keep looking. Do you know just how wide these are? I wear a US EE width in most shoes and even the high volume toe boxes usually aren't enough. Even with the Shimano 088 Wides were tight enough I had to go up a half size and modify the slots for the cleats so I could move them back another 5mm to get them in the right place. Those Vibram toe shoes look cool, but I've tired on their regular trail runners and due to my atypical foot width (short and wide) I can't wear them comfortably. Still very cool.

Highlander, I have dual sided pedals so I often wear trail runners or athletic shoes, sometimes even KEEN sandals (Why are regular Keen sandals so much wider than their cycling sandals that look exactly the same except for the sole?). I do like to clip in for group rides and when doing a lot of climbing, especially in gravel. The Shimano 088s work but they are only a mediocrity at best. I'll look into the shoes you mentioned.

Kenny, I've looked at the Dominators and that may be where I'll have to go. The Lake MX100 has a good reputation at about half the price, but I just can't find them in the US.

Has anyone dealt with Wiggle UK or AU? They claim to offer free overseas shipping in 7-10 days and have a wider (no pun intended, OK . . . maybe) range of sizes. Why are there so many more wide and casual looking shoes on the EU market than there are in the US?

"Those who say it can't be done should stand aside for those who are doing it."
Quote 0 0
Nubster
Old thread but a common problem...thought I'd chime in. I have not super wide feet but wide enough that a standard width cycling shoe is quite uncomfortable for me. I found that Giro HV was just passable but still not the most comfortable. I have a pair of Lakes in wide and they are WIDE. Too wide for my feet. I don't have an actual measurement of my feet as far as EE or EEE or whatever but they are about 110mm wide and size 11. The Lake wide is a bit too wide but rideable. They are my road shoes. I did just get a pair of Lake mountain bike shoes...the MX237 and I cannot say enough how awesome these shoes are. Super nice full leather uppers, great subdued classic look, double BOA ratchet system which I love because it allows more custom fit, ultra stiff carbon sole, grippy easy to walk on rubber outsole...but as for the fit...since I'm really close to the standard and a bit further from a wide...I chanced it and ordered the standard and they are perfect. More rounded toebox, not elf like pointy toe killing toe boxes like so many other shoe brands insist on forcing on out feet. Mid sole is nice and narrow enough to hug the foot and the heel has a nice deep cup for a great no slip fit. 

So in short, anyone that has a wider but not super wide foot...the Lake shoes are great. At least the MX237 is. And if you have a wide foot...seriously consider the Lake wide shoes.
Quote 0 0
bnystrom
I've got three pairs of Lake shoes in wide (2 road, one MTB) and they fit wide feet well, especially if you have a medium-to-wide heel. Specialized also makes shoes in wide sizes and I've got Bontrager road and MTB shoes that fit well.
Quote 0 0
shoota
Nubster wrote:
Old thread but a common problem...thought I'd chime in. I have not super wide feet but wide enough that a standard width cycling shoe is quite uncomfortable for me. I found that Giro HV was just passable but still not the most comfortable. I have a pair of Lakes in wide and they are WIDE. Too wide for my feet. I don't have an actual measurement of my feet as far as EE or EEE or whatever but they are about 110mm wide and size 11. The Lake wide is a bit too wide but rideable. They are my road shoes. I did just get a pair of Lake mountain bike shoes...the MX237 and I cannot say enough how awesome these shoes are. Super nice full leather uppers, great subdued classic look, double BOA ratchet system which I love because it allows more custom fit, ultra stiff carbon sole, grippy easy to walk on rubber outsole...but as for the fit...since I'm really close to the standard and a bit further from a wide...I chanced it and ordered the standard and they are perfect. More rounded toebox, not elf like pointy toe killing toe boxes like so many other shoe brands insist on forcing on out feet. Mid sole is nice and narrow enough to hug the foot and the heel has a nice deep cup for a great no slip fit. 

So in short, anyone that has a wider but not super wide foot...the Lake shoes are great. At least the MX237 is. And if you have a wide foot...seriously consider the Lake wide shoes.

I'm a Lake evangelist too! I've been eyeing the MX237 for a while now, trying to find a good deal. I have a pair of CX237 Wides for the road and love them. Where did you buy your MX237s?
Quote 0 0
owly
There's a pair of secondhand 43 (normal width) MX237 on the US bay for $70. Scuff mark, but look in pretty good nick.

If you're that size, could be worth picking them up just to see how wide the normal-width are.
Quote 0 0
shoota
owly wrote:
There's a pair of secondhand 43 (normal width) MX237 on the US bay for $70. Scuff mark, but look in pretty good nick.

If you're that size, could be worth picking them up just to see how wide the normal-width are.

If they were 45.5 they'd be mine.
Quote 0 0
bnystrom
I forgot to mention that Louis Garneau also makes wide shoes that fit nicely. I don't know where you're located, but they have an outlet store in Derby, VT and I've gotten some killer deals there.
Quote 0 0
bobknh
My $02: I too have wide feet. My problem on complicated by a left foot that is 1.5 sizes larger than the right. I've also found that there is no consistency in how manufacturers size shoes. I'm also very active, and need snug, but not tight shoes for activities as varied as ballroom dancing, hiking, skiing, and of course cycling. You can virtually ignore the size label on any mass produced foot wear. Even with the same brand and model, there will be significant variations in the actual size. One solution to the problem, is to have a custom made shoe or boot. While custom made foot wear are expensive, if you ride a lot, it may be the best cycling investment you can make. I have a pair of custom Rocket7 road shoes that are about 12 years old. They are the most comfortable bike shoes I've ever owned. Rocket7 is still in business, and for what you get, miles and miles  and years and years of foot comfort, worth every penny. Another thing I learned along my search for bike shoe Nirvana, is that often shoe fit and pain problems can be cured by a good pair of cycling orthotic's. I'm still using 2 pairs of orthotics made by the legendary Bill Peterson, who unfortunately died a few years ago http://www.wedofeet.com. With a pair of custom Peterson orthotics, I can wear bike shoes that are a bit large, and still have solid contact and connection to my pedals. Rocket7 also makes custom orthotics. They may be a less expensive solution to anyone's cycling shoe issues. Check it out: http://www.rocket7.com
Quote 1 0
bnystrom
When I look at the collection of shoes I've amassed over the years, it probably would have been cheaper for me to get custom shoes, at least for road riding. I haven't seen custom MTB shoes, though I haven't looked, either. I don't know of anyone making custom, insulated winter shoes, but they're somewhat less challenging to fit.
Quote 0 0
Nubster
shoota wrote:

I'm a Lake evangelist too! I've been eyeing the MX237 for a while now, trying to find a good deal. I have a pair of CX237 Wides for the road and love them. Where did you buy your MX237s?

Got mine from Bike Nashbar during one of their sales. I think they were like $200 so quite a discount. I don't even see the listed on their site now which is sad...I wanted to grab another pair to rotate with my current pair to keep the wear down and get them to last as long as possible.
Quote 0 0
shoota
Nubster wrote:

Got mine from Bike Nashbar during one of their sales. I think they were like $200 so quite a discount. I don't even see the listed on their site now which is sad...I wanted to grab another pair to rotate with my current pair to keep the wear down and get them to last as long as possible.

Yeah they're getting harder and harder to find at a discount. Finding them at full retail is no problem but it's hard to spend that when you know how cheap they've gone for before :/
Quote 0 0
Nubster
Yeah...for sure. The orange ones I used to see pretty cheap all the time. But now they seem to always be full price as well. I guess maybe too many people figured out how awesome these shoes are so now there's no problem selling them so the prices went back up.
Quote 0 0
shoota
Nubster wrote:
Yeah...for sure. The orange ones I used to see pretty cheap all the time. But now they seem to always be full price as well. I guess maybe too many people figured out have awesome they are so now there's no problem selling them so the prices went back up.

I guess so yeah. I had a chance to buy an orange pair for like $150 last year and didn't do it. Kicking myself right now for it.

Quote 0 0
shoota
Nubster wrote:
Yeah...for sure. The orange ones I used to see pretty cheap all the time. But now they seem to always be full price as well. I guess maybe too many people figured out how awesome these shoes are so now there's no problem selling them so the prices went back up.

What size are you? 
Quote 0 0