thepointchris
I'm an ex-South African, living in Socal, and I'm doing the Gravel Worlds in August. My gravel riding in Socal has been limited to reasonable fire roads and some single track, nothing that compares with what you guys ride for REAL Gravel.
I was pretty set on using Panaracer GK SK 38 - I have used the GK32 SK in the past, liked how it rolled. My Team mate Ben, much more experienced rider than I am, pointed out that Nebraska Gravel is a lot less demanding than Kansas Gravel (DK), and since he knew of several guys getting by with 28's, he was just going to rock with CX 33's. 
So I'm re-thinking that for my 190lbs frame on a Stigmata, a Schwalbe G-One 35 might be more than enough rubber, and still versatile enough for variable conditions on the day?
The last time I asked GT for an opinion, I ended up buying a BMC Road, which now has 10500M on it, so I know I've come to the right place!
Please give me all your opinions - I have read all/most of what's out there on rubber, I just lack the local knowledge to apply what I know.

Cheers,
Chris

Quote 0 0
Zurichman
I am brand new to gravel grinding and my first race will be the Pony Express in Sept. What I do remember reading is that lots of riders had their tires burp on them on the DK 200 downhills because they had too low of pressure in their tires. You might want to consider running 50 lbs. psi in your tires no matter what you are riding. It might be a little bit more rough riding but you shouldn't have to deal with flats.  I also will follow with interest this thread. 

Zman
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
Quote 0 0
nalax
You may want to reconsider running 50 psi in everything. A number of tire and rim combinations max out at a lower psi than 50. Plus you are losing the benefits of tubeless at that pressure. The Iron Cross rim has a recommended max of 45psi with 32mm tires. As you go wider that max is going lower otherwise you risk something worse than a flat.
Quote 0 0
thepointchris
Thanks for both replies on Tire Pressure - I'm mainly searching for advice on the the right tire, since I don't know the conditions at all. I have enough time to play with tire pressure once I have the right rubber.
I'm hoping to get input from the guys who have ridden both DK and Gravel Worlds.
Quote 0 0
Zurichman
Well you said that you were set on the Panaracer GK SK 38.That is what the owner(JOM) over at Gavel cyclist rode at the DK200 and he loved the tire. He was at 165 lbs. I believe. Go over and read his ride report. He said there were lots of other cyclists having flats but not him with that tire. I guess it depends on how much you want to chance on getting a flat. He like the strong sidewalls of those tires.

Zman
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
Quote 0 0
thepointchris
I believe the Kansas Gravel is a lot more demanding than Nebraska - I was set on the GK38's, but it may just be too much tire. That's why I'm considering smaller/thinner/lighter/faster tires, for example Schwalbe G-One, in 35C. Nebraska gravel should be faster, smoother, less stressful on the tires, if what I hear is correct?
Quote 0 0
Zurichman
thepointchris wrote:
I believe the Kansas Gravel is a lot more demanding than Nebraska - I was set on the GK38's, but it may just be too much tire. That's why I'm considering smaller/thinner/lighter/faster tires, for example Schwalbe G-One, in 35C. Nebraska gravel should be faster, smoother, less stressful on the tires, if what I hear is correct?

I understand where you are coming from I live in Pa. and am the newbie to gravel grinding. My first ride/race will be the Pony Express 120 in Kansas in Sept. On the roadie end I would never start a 1200k 300k 400k or 600k without starting on a good set of tires. I don't want to spending time for a flat. Yeah the GK38's might be too much tire for the Nebraska ride. If I was doing it I would rather have peace of mind instead of trying a faster tire but that is just how I think. Why not go to the GK 35 SK then. It and the Clement Xplor MSO keeps coming up as the tire that I see most people riding. Good luck

Zman
Quote 0 0
thepointchris
Zurichman thanks for the input - the GK35 is now called GK38. I also think "safety/comfort/reliability first", but 150M is a long way to lug the "wrong" tire around. If I  flat, once or twice, on a nice fast tire, I won't bitch.
Quote 0 0
Zurichman
thepointchris wrote:
Zurichman thanks for the input - the GK35 is now called GK38. I also think "safety/comfort/reliability first", but 150M is a long way to lug the "wrong" tire around. If I  flat, once or twice, on a nice fast tire, I won't bitch.

You might want to go to the Schwalbe G-one post and do some reading before you decide on this tire. Looks like lots of folks had trouble getting the tire off the rim. Looks like it seals too well. [biggrin]
Quote 0 0
kriskexplorer
Im from Kansas and I have been running Gravelkings SK's 38 tubeless with no problems.  Before that I ran the Gravelkings SK 35's tubeless.  Both work well.  Before that was Teravails Canonball 38 tubed as I was unable to get them to work tubeless but also no issues.
Quote 0 0
MHoffman
Zurichman wrote:
I am brand new to gravel grinding and my first race will be the Pony Express in Sept. What I do remember reading is that lots of riders had their tires burp on them on the DK 200 downhills because they had too low of pressure in their tires. You might want to consider running 50 lbs. psi in your tires no matter what you are riding. It might be a little bit more rough riding but you shouldn't have to deal with flats.  I also will follow with interest this thread. 

Zman

Hey Zman glad to hear the Pony Express Gravel Dash will be your first race in Kansas. I'm from Marysville, KS home of the PX Gravel Dash and have ridden it every year. You will see a variety of gravel in our area, from average quarry gravel on improved roads to sharp Flint Hills rock on jeep roads. There could even be a little bit of single track dirt and grass like last year. Any of the quality gravel tires will do great but I would recommend 38's or bigger. Most locals run 38 Specialized Triggers, some with tube & some tubeless. Having also done DK, Gravelleurs Raid and other Kansas events, we see mostly Triggers, Clement XLOR MSO's and Gravel Kings but nothing smaller than 38.
MHoffman
Quote 0 0
Zurichman
kriskexplorer wrote:
Im from Kansas and I have been running Gravelkings SK's 38 tubeless with no problems.  Before that I ran the Gravelkings SK 35's tubeless.  Both work well.  Before that was Teravails Canonball 38 tubed as I was unable to get them to work tubeless but also no issues.

I read over on another thread that Gravelking sizing has been changed. The 35 that you ran before is the same as the 38 you are riding now.

Zman
Quote 0 0