manuelw

I've ordered some Teravail Rampart tires, 700x32 in the "Durable Sidewall" option.
I have two wheelsets for my Norco gravel bike - one with 17mm internal width, and one with 24mm internal width.
Which wheelset should I mount the tires on? Is 17mm internal too narrow for a 32?
Both wheelsets are tubeless-ready, and I would prefer to run this tire tubeless.

The 17mm internal wheelset is Fulcrum Racing 5 DB Wheelset (2018). I use these for road rides and currently they have 28mm Continental tires mounted with tubes.

The 24mm internal wheel set is Easton EA70 AX Disc. I use these for gravel rides and currently have Donnelly EMP 700x38 mounted as tubeless.

The use case for the Teravail Rampart is for longer rides where the pavement-to-gravel ratio is 75/25 -- mostly road with a bit of smoother gravel.

Quote 0 0
Zircon
Be careful! I tried to mount 32mm Gravelking tires on 19mm rims. I couldn’t find stems that were narrow enough to allow the tire bead to seat in between the rim and the stem. The clearance between those two was too tight. I tried carefully removing some of the rubber that seals the stem but to no avail, by the time I had enough of the rubber shaved off the stems leaked. 
Quote 1 1
bluesky6
You may also check what's marked on the tires.

I just got in a set of WTB Exposure 32. On the sidewall, it is clearly marked that the maximum rim internal width is 20mm. 

In other words, WTB appears to not recommend using this "gravel-lite" tire with typical gravel rims which may have 21mm or wider internal widths.

Very strange.

I don't know what may happen if you disregard the recommentation and use a wider rim.
Quote 0 0
HollyBoni
Zircon wrote:
Be careful! I tried to mount 32mm Gravelking tires on 19mm rims. I couldn’t find stems that were narrow enough to allow the tire bead to seat in between the rim and the stem. The clearance between those two was too tight. I tried carefully removing some of the rubber that seals the stem but to no avail, by the time I had enough of the rubber shaved off the stems leaked. 

Zero issues with 20mm inner width rims + 32mm (and 38 and 43mm) GK SKs running tubeless with the stock valves that came with my wheels. Tons of space. 

Simple user error. The tire width doesn't matter here. Just because a tyre is wider that doesn't mean the bead itself is wider too... If you have the wrong valve stem you won't be able to fit anything on there. If you didn't have enough clearance with a 19mm rim, then why do 17mm tubeless road rims exist? 🙂 Just look for valves like this, i'd say these give you the most clearance: 

[_SX425_] 
To the OP: In the past I would have said 24mm is pushing it, but ENVE sells road wheels with 25mm inner width rims, so who knows anymore. I don't think 17mm is too narrow. I probably wouldn't go above a 32 on a 17, but 32 is still fine IMO.
Quote 1 0
Volsung
Some of us used to run mtb tires on 17mm rims.  It might not be ideal but it works.
Quote 0 0
Zircon
HollyBoni wrote:

Zero issues with 20mm inner width rims + 32mm (and 38 and 43mm) GK SKs running tubeless with the stock valves that came with my wheels. Tons of space. 

Simple user error. The tire width doesn't matter here. Just because a tyre is wider that doesn't mean the bead itself is wider too... If you have the wrong valve stem you won't be able to fit anything on there. If you didn't have enough clearance with a 19mm rim, then why do 17mm tubeless road rims exist? ðŸÃ¢â€žÂ¢ÃƒÃ‚¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡ Just look for valves like this, i'd say these give you the most clearance: 

[_SX425_] 

No user error.  That’s precisely the stem configuration that would not fit. The same as what I bought, even down to the little plastic presta valve core remover. But, thanks for the thought. Running tubes isn’t such a bad idea. By the time you load up with 2oz of sealant that weighs as much if not more than the tube. And, for field repairs you pretty much have to carry a tube along anyhow. 
Quote 0 0
caneye
i just mounted 35mm and 40mm tyres (Michelin Power Gravel) on 17mm wide Bontrager CX rims. i did not have any issues. Prior to this, i was using 28 and 32mm tyres on the same rims. mind you, i am running with tubes so no need for replacement valves.

if i understand your issue correctly - it is the tapered rubber base of the replacement valve that is too wide? Too tight between the replacement valve and rim edge? is your rim tubeless-ready?
Quote 0 0
Zircon
caneye wrote:
i just mounted 35mm and 40mm tyres (Michelin Power Gravel) on 17mm wide Bontrager CX rims. i did not have any issues. Prior to this, i was using 28 and 32mm tyres on the same rims. mind you, i am running with tubes so no need for replacement valves.

if i understand your issue correctly - it is the tapered rubber base of the replacement valve that is too wide? Too tight between the replacement valve and rim edge? is your rim tubeless-ready?

Yes to all of those. But my solution is the same as yours, put tubes in there. It’s just not worth the extra hassle to me to try and go tubeless. One solution that worked part of the time was to push the valve stem up into the wide part of the tire, get the bead hand seated around the area of the stem, then carefully pull the stem down into place and seat it. That allowed enough clearance between the conical rubber seat and the bead of the tire. But I concluded the overall process was so unwieldy that the only solution to a flat in the boonies would be to carry a tube along and use that for the repair. 
Quote 0 0
manuelw

Hi all,

I just got a reply from Teravail tires customer service. The tires arrive tomorrow and I'll try mounting them this weekend or early next week and report back here. Thanks everyone for the input so far!

Quote:

Hey Manuel,

Thanks for reaching out to us, sorry for the delayed response! Sounds like you ordered the right tires for the kind of riding you do! As far as which of your wheelsets to mount the Ramparts on, the optimal rim width for the 700x32 model is 19mm. I don’t believe 17mm would be too narrow, so I would try mounting them on the Fulcrum’s to begin with. You should be able to run them on either or, but with the 24mm Easton’s you could experience some flattening out of the tire.

Hopefully this answers your question, please feel free to let me know if you need anything else.

Quote 0 0
manuelw

Hey folks! Just successfully mounted the tires on my 17mm internal width rims. Taped the rims up with DT Swiss 19mm tape. The Teravails' bead popped right on with the help of an air compressor. Added some sealant and they're holding solid so far.

I had no issues with interference between the valve butt and the bead like someone else mentioned.

Thanks everyone! Woo hoo! IMG_7975.jpg  IMG_2123.jpg  IMG_4521.jpg 

Quote 1 0