Andysstrongale
Been new to cycling for the past two years and trying to figure out when I should replace my tires.

My first set (Clements USH Explorer) I replaced after I saw the yellow casing. Current set has about 1,200 miles on them (Donnelly USH Explorer). Do I replace when I start to see the casing or is that a bit too late?

Really trying to gauge if I should replace the tires before my race in two weeks or should I hold out till the end of the season and just get some new ones in the spring.
Quote 0 0
chas
Oh replace long before you see the casing.

How to measure depends a bit on the tire.
Conti has little reverse dimples that tell you when to replace.
Some tires have soft rubber on top of a hard casing.  when you get down to the hard casing, traction goes out the window.   So, when the tread gets smooth - think about replacing the tire.
Quote 0 0
bnystrom
When the tread gets worn to the point that you lose traction under the conditions you normally ride in, it's time to replace the tire. Since rear tires wear at a higher rate than fronts, I typically rotate the front tire to the rear, then install a new tire on the front. That way I always have the best tread on the front, where it's most critical. Yes, this can be a bit messy with tubeless, but to me, it's worth the effort. 
Quote 0 0
kyle ray
tires will cost less this year, then next after the usual increase of 3-4%
Quote 0 0
Andysstrongale
kyle ray wrote:
tires will cost less this year, then next after the usual increase of 3-4%

That is what I'm going to tell my wife. Its savings!!

I actually ended up replacing my tires. Got some gravel king slicks and barely squeezed them on my bike.

Thanks all!
Quote 1 0