faigonzales
Hello,

I have a 2019 Jamis Renegade Expat. I recently crashed and broke my wheels. I am going to buy a new wheelset. I just want to know if these are good? If not... What would be a good pair?

TOKEN : EC24AD

It is around $315.00 SRP. $240 discounted price. 

And what tires would be great for all round riding. 

On Road- 80%
Off Road - 20%

Although roads here are almost close to off road due to the number of potholes.

Thanks
Quote 0 0
Thijsvanderwal
Not sure if you will be able to get anything better for that price... Ideally the internal width is between 20-25mm but 19mm is absolutely fine as well. If 80% of your riding is done on road 700C is a good choice, I wouldn't go for 650B in your case.

There are multiple tire possibilities but a good bet would be to get a 30mm Schwalbe G-ONE or Panaracer Gravelking 32mm. Set them up tubeless and use 40psi offroad and 60-70psi on road. If your off roads are a bit rough you could consider going for their 38mm versions as well, they still roll very well on road in those wider sizes with higer psi.

You could always go for this wheelset with 30mm tires now, and buy another 650B wheelset + 47mm tires for offroad rides at a later stage.
Quote 1 0
chas
Where is here?
What size tire do you want?  
Quote 0 0
faigonzales
Not sure if you will be able to get anything better for that price... Ideally the internal width is between 20-25mm but 19mm is absolutely fine as well. If 80% of your riding is done on road 700C is a good choice, I wouldn't go for 650B in your case.

There are multiple tire possibilities but a good bet would be to get a 30mm Schwalbe G-ONE or Panaracer Gravelking 32mm. Set them up tubeless and use 40psi offroad and 60-70psi on road. If your off roads are a bit rough you could consider going for their 38mm versions as well, they still roll very well on road in those wider sizes with higer psi.

You could always go for this wheelset with 30mm tires now, and buy another 650B wheelset + 47mm tires for offroad rides at a later stage.

Thank you very much for your response. I am going for a 700C. According to the website, I can fit in up too 700Cx42. For the tires, it is within the budget. Would a 30mm give much comfort and roll? I use my bike for everyday commute to work and weekend rides.

I am also looking at the Fulcrum Racing 5. Around $375. But I don't think this is good for a gravel ride.

I don't think I will be able to afford the extra 650BX47 set in the future. ðŸ˜… 

chas wrote:
Where is here?
What size tire do you want?  

Local Bike Shop near me. Preferrably 700Cx??mm. Any size that would be comfortable and have a good roll. 
Quote 0 0
Thijsvanderwal
Going wider will probably slightly increase rolling resistance & weight but the additional comfort & grip gained by being able to run lower PSIs might be able to make up for that. It all depends on your riding style & speed, road quality and if you're doing a lot of group rides where you have to keep up at a certain speed.

If you mostly ride individually then you should definitively go for 38-40mm as that will give you the most flexibility without needing to swap tires, you will then just change PSI.
Quote 1 0
faigonzales
Going wider will probably slightly increase rolling resistance & weight but the additional comfort & grip gained by being able to run lower PSIs might be able to make up for that. It all depends on your riding style & speed, road quality and if you're doing a lot of group rides where you have to keep up at a certain speed.

If you mostly ride individually then you should definitively go for 38-40mm as that will give you the most flexibility without needing to swap tires, you will then just change PSI.

Thank you very much for the response. I think I'll just stick with the 30.

Hope these wheelset are durable enough for everyday usage. Can't find any review online.  Screenshot_20200118_162854.jpg Just saw a picture of them on the same bike I have. 😅
Quote 0 0