RoverAl
I have a Raleigh Willard with asymmetrical chain stays. I am running wider than normal tires and notice the spacing between the stays is off.  

The last time I touched up the wheels I checked the dish and it was centered.
With the fat tires on here is what I found.

Looking at the seat stays the wheel looks like it is more to the drive side. 

Looking at the chain stays the wheel looks more to the non drive side.

I have 3000 miles on the bike and it rides perfectly.

My question is this. How do you calibrate or know what is in spec or not?
thanks
Quote 0 0
ridemagnetic
Wheel out, tire off, dishing tool. That will show you the truth with what's going on back there. Checking spoke tension at the same time wouldn't hurt either. Factory wheels are usually laced pretty soft and go out of dish easy.   
A great set of wheels will make an average frame ride better. It doesn't work the other way around.  ~ridemagnetic
Quote 0 0
RoverAl
Dish was out about 2mm non drive side. 2mm Gap
After going back and forth for a couple hours I finally got it even and trued. 
Spoke tension is pretty even drive and non drive.
My Park Tool readings are off the chart they give with the tool
Drive side is 31.9375 average
Non Drive 28 avg
2mm round spokes
Need to make another batch of homebrew sealant before I put the tire back on to check it for spacing.

UPDATE:
Installed wheel and checked spacing. Standing behind the bike looking down at the chain stays it is more even but it looks like it could come over another 1 mm.
Looking at the seat stay clearance there is plenty of room on both sides but the spacing is not even.
Looks like I can fit a 45c Riddler back there now. 
No clue why its not even at seat stasys but this is judging by eyeball and not measuring with caliper.

I will pull tire and install rim and check when I get a good set of calipers and see what the measurements are.
Quote 0 0
oleritter
RoverAl wrote:
Non Drive 28 avg
2mm round spokes
Need to make another batch of homebrew sealant before I put the tire back on to check it for spacing.

UPDATE:
Installed wheel and checked spacing. Standing behind the bike looking down at the chain stays it is more even but it looks like it could come over another 1 mm.
Looking at the seat stay clearance there is plenty of room on both sides but the spacing is not even.
No clue why its not even at seat stasys but this is judging by eyeball and not measuring with caliper.

I will pull tire and install rim and check when I get a good set of calipers and see what the measurements are.

I wouldn't agonize too much about this, after the steps you have taken.  It is possible that your frame is off a little.  Also, keep in mind dish can change slightly once tire is mounted.
I Build Wheels @millcitycycle

https://www.facebook.com/millcitycycle/
Quote 0 0
NoCoGreg
oleritter wrote:

I wouldn't agonize too much about this, after the steps you have taken.  It is possible that your frame is off a little.  Also, keep in mind dish can change slightly once tire is mounted.

Agreed. The only way I'd check for dish that accurately is with dish tool.  Few of the truing stands I've used have been calibrated to accurately measure dish to within a mm or two.

Quote 0 0
oleritter
RoverAl wrote:
Non Drive 28 avg
2mm round spokes

UPDATE:

I know you didn't ask, but your tension numbers might be a concern.  They sound very high.
I Build Wheels @millcitycycle

https://www.facebook.com/millcitycycle/
Quote 0 0
RoverAl
oleritter wrote:
your tension numbers might be a concern
I agree but I think they were that high from factory or Jenson mechs. I've only touched up the true a couple three times in a year.  

NoCoGreg wrote:
I'd check for dish that accurately is with dish tool
I use a Park wag5  Nice to have instead of bringing in to shop or using the inaccurate gauge on my cheap spin doctor stand.

I need to order some nipples to replace the 2 that are rounded, when I do that , I will need to re-tape also, then reevaluate. Front wheel tension is similar too. I might bring the tension into specs just to see what it does if anything.  I think the assymetrical stays are a factor in this too. 

Thanks for the comments
Quote 0 0