Erik_A
I have a steel Singular Swift MTB that I am trying to set up with 3x10 speed Ultegra STI shifters (actually the left front is a 105 triple shifter).

The Singular has a 28.6 seat tube and I was using a direct-mount XT FD (down-pull) before I decided to switch to the drop bars.

What down-pull MTB front derailleur can I use that will work with Shimano road FD cable pull? Or maybe there is an alternate cable mounting work around. I tried using a road triple FD, but it wouldn't engage the big ring on the crank, because it didn't have enough reach.
Quote 0 0
PMC
I ran into the same issue on a Fargo years ago.  I never got a triple front to work with the STI lever (also a 105 triple from a 9 speed group).  Ended up going to bar ends which work great.
Quote 0 0
Barrettscv
A Shimano Deore M591, Down Swing, Dual Pull, 31.8mm Clamp Diameter with a 28.6mm shim should work, but I've never used this combination.

fyi, I was able to get a 9 speed Tiagra 4503 triple derailleur to reach the big ring on a Deore crankset, see below. At first it would not reach the big ring withould careful adjustment. After a few dozen shifts across the the three chainrings, the reach improved. It now shifts a 48, 36 & 22 chainring set perfectly without any special effort or adjustment.

Quote 0 0
Erik_A
Thanks!  I will try.
Quote 0 0
Erik_A

Thanks, this blog and the comments are a great resource!

Quote:
You may glean some additional information here, noting especially the comments section:

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2013/03/25/trouble-with-sti-triples/

Quote 0 0
trippertim
I have not tried with a "10 speed" front derailleur and shifters, and not 100% sure what the pull ratios are for 10, but I had the same issue with my wife's 9 spd drop bar build. She has 9 sped 105 brifters and a Deore triple front crank. The pull ratio of the road and MTB are different so I drilled a new hole in the swing arm of a Deore triple derailleur to get the pull ratio matched up. No good pics of it right now, but here is where I got the idea. Only issue so far has been with adjusting it. After the cable stretches, it is hard to pull the cable more to take up more slack, so make sure to have a good inline barrel adjuster and do the initial setup with it all the way in.

http://forums.mtbr.com/shimano/successful-front-der-mod-mtb-front-der-w-sti-road-levers-933644.html
Quote 0 0
barturtle
You can use any Shimano 10sp MTB front derailleur, if you pair it with e Jtek Engineering Shiftmate Model 7m, which adjusts the cable pull to match.

For reference I used the Shiftmate Model 7 to pair a Shimano 105 triple (5703) brifter to a Shimano Deore LX FD-T671 front derailleur and matching crankset on my Van Dessel Whisky Tango Foxtrot.
Quote 0 0
Erik_A

Well, after trying 3 or 4 front derailleurs, I finally found one that works like it was made for this application. A trusty 1989 Shimano FD-M732. Only modification is that I am running the cable on the outside of the bolt rather than on the inside and over that little ramp thingy as originally intended.

More info can be found her describing this feat of engineering genius:
http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=857c95e7-3c2a-4fd8-b5f8-6faaf1ae84bf&Enum=113

image-1.JPG 
image-2.JPG 

image-4.JPG 

Quote 0 0