The_Mickstar
I'm building up a new bike and would like some help deciding on tires.  I have experience with the following tires...

Clement MSO 700x40 (both 60tpi & 120tpi versions).  These are great tires for me.  I've had multiple sets, mostly the 60tpi version since I don't notice much difference (besides price).  They roll fast, have good puncture resistance, and are pretty light.  I even ran the 60tpi version tubeless for over a year with no major issues.  The sidewall can get a little squirmy when cornering hard tubeless, though.  (No surprise since the sidewalls aren't very well supported since they are designed for tubes.)  Not the best in slimy conditions, but not bad either.

Panaracer GravelKing SK 700x40.  These are great in dry conditions, but terrible in the mud.  Very sketchy.  They roll surprisingly fast for such a big tire (actual 43mm), have decent puncture resistance, and are decently light.  More stable tubeless than the MSOs.  (Again, no surprise with the stiffer, tubeless-rated sidewalls.)

What I'd like for the new bike is a tire similar in speed/weight/puncture resistance to the GravelKing SK, but better in slimy conditions and a bit smaller.  Any recommendations?
Quote 0 0
bobknh
Panaracer came out with knobby version of the GK TR , the GK Mud. If you like the GK, you might like the GK Mud for those days you need it. Thinking of mounting a pair myself. Returning to southern NH this week to MUD SEASON! My nest door neighbor texted me that there was still 6" of snow on my gravel driveway. Compass also sells a 38 MM Panaracer  manufactured mud tire called the Stiela that might work for us in the mud. The Stiela is the only knobby tire that Compass  sells. They claim that the wider spacing on the knobs of the Stiela  lessons the chance for mud to cake up between the knobs. Dunno? But, so far all the advice and products I've purchased have lived up to their claims.
Quote 0 0
The_Mickstar
Thanks. 

I'm not really looking for a mud tire.  I'm looking for something I can leave on all the time.  If I can find something that's decent in the mud (like the MSO), but has better cornering stability than the MSO 40s when running tubeless, I'd be happy.  The obvious choice is the MSO 700x36 tubeless tire.  I'm hoping to find something less expensive though.
Quote 0 0
big_shmoop
Kinda of a long shot, but what pressure are you running on the GK's when in the mud? I've noticed when things get a little slick that if I drop a few PSI they ride much better. 

Before the the GK's I ran a set of 40c Maxxis Ramblers (they measure a bit smaller than 40) and they took everything I ran them in with little to no problems. If the mud was really sticky they could get clumped up a bit but never enough to cause me issues. 

That being said, a few people I ride with are raving about the Specialized Sawtooths. I've ridden with them on wet dirt/gravel roads and they didn't mention any issues. 
Giant ToughRoad SLR 1 (drop bar)
Giant Trance 27.5
Giant Defy Composite
Quote 0 0
wyhaines
You might check out the Compass Steilacoom (https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/components/tires/700c/compass-700c-x-38-steilacoom/) tire. It sounds like it could a strong contender for a mud tire that can be mounted all the time.

I don't have it, though, so I can't vouch for it firsthand. Mud in this part of the world (SE Wyoming) is just a very occasional, transitory thing, so I optimize for dry conditions.
Quote 0 0
bobknh
wyhaines wrote:
You might check out the Compass Steilacoom (https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/components/tires/700c/compass-700c-x-38-steilacoom/) tire. It sounds like it could a strong contender for a mud tire that can be mounted all the time.

I don't have it, though, so I can't vouch for it firsthand. Mud in this part of the world (SE Wyoming) is just a very occasional, transitory thing, so I optimize for dry conditions.

Good suggestion. Compass claims that the Steila runs OK on hard surfaces, and corners well. None the less, they don't really recommend it for every day riding in dry conditions. My guess, is that you would wear out the knobs pretty fast if you ride mostly on dry hard surfaces. Also, they admit that they will be noisy in these conditions. My feeling is that it pays to have 2 wheel sets - one for dry conditions, the other for mud. That's what the pro CX racers do. 
Quote 0 0
bobknh
The_Mickstar wrote:
Thanks. 

I'm not really looking for a mud tire.  I'm looking for something I can leave on all the time.  If I can find something that's decent in the mud (like the MSO), but has better cornering stability than the MSO 40s when running tubeless, I'd be happy.  The obvious choice is the MSO 700x36 tubeless tire.  I'm hoping to find something less expensive though.

My $.02: The GK may be best choice for an all around every day tire. I've been using the the 35mm tubeless on my "gravel" wheels. Great tires for most situations except deep soft, and mud. But, the range of conditions the GK's can handle at low tubeless pressure comes close to what you are looking for. I'll be giving my 35mm GK's a good test in southern NH during mud season when I return home tomorrow.
Quote 0 0
fbhidy
I've been running the Kenda Flintridge this spring and like it so far. I was looking for a tubeless MSO alternative in the size range you are looking for.
Quote 0 0
Cmtgravel
My fave tires are the continental travel contact. Super puncture-resistant, slick middle so they run fast on road and hardback,knobs on side for looser stuff. Don't do really well in slick stuff,sloppy mud,slush etc, cuz of the slick middle. Great all-around gravel or touring tire tho. Have ridden them over a year on my gravel bike,shows little to no wear, and no punctures. I run them with tubes, but have read in other forums about people running tubeless with success. Very tight beads on mine. Like all conti's, they run narrow. My 700x37's are more like 35's. I beat the hell out of them,and they haven't let me down.
Quote 0 0