jhueber1
Gonna be taking a trip with the family late June to the Pigeon Forge area and then to Ashville.  Looking for any ideas on backroads, gravel, fire roads that I could venture on while I'm in those areas.  Any help would be appreciated.  
Quote 1 0
bcgravel
Check into the Hard Times trailhead in Asheville. Lots of good gravel routes around the mountain bike trail sections. I stopped by there on my way down to Florida a few years back. I do not recommend going down greens lick on a rigid bike. Most of the trails are for MTB but connectors between them could tolerate a gravel bike
Quote 0 0
jhueber1
Thanks for the info, I'll most likely take my Gorilla Monsoon with 2.1 tires.  
Quote 0 0
ChuckC
when in Asheville, NC there are a couple must do gravel rides. One is the Bent Creek area for lots of gravel riding roads through the NC Arboretum at Bent Creek. The second is the Mills River area. Get maps at any bike shop in Asheville. Have fun!!
Quote 1 0
ergo
When you take I40E from PF to Asheville, the last exit on the TN side is Waterville.  Get off at that exit, take a right on Tobes Creek road and continue for less then two miles, and there is a park on your left that you can start riding from.  Get on Mt. Sterling Rd. and you'll have a steady six mile climb to over 4,000 ft elevation.  Lots of options you can go off of Mt Sterling, but it would be mostly out and back.  There are tons of gravel roads back there, but you're in the mountains.  Bring your climbing legs.  I have made a small loop after the top of Mt Sterling where we went into Catalochee Valley, where you view elk at seasonable times.  It's a beautiful place to ride.  There's lots of country back there to explore and get lost, but you can start riding from about two miles after you get off the interstate and make an epic out and back ride.  

In PF, you can go to Walland/Townsend and ride Rich Mtn Rd, but that's only about a 3 mile climb each way that is actual gravel.  But plenty of opportunities to see bear, and that's the only place I've ever seen rattlesnakes in the wilderness.  You can add a loop into Cades Cove if you want, but that's paved and a very popular area, and will be crowded on the weekends.  Let me know if you want more info on that.
Quote 0 0
ergo
I think I gave one bit of bad info for the Mt. Sterling ride.  When you get off the I40 exit, take Waterville Rd less than two miles.  After the park, you'll take a left on Mt Sterling Road, and you'll be on the gravel portion.  If you take a right on Mt Sterling and go back to my original starting point, that section is paved.
Quote 0 0
jhueber1
@Ergo  Thanks for the info.  I might be in touch for some more details as the trip gets closer.  Thanks
Quote 0 0
ergo
I found the ride where I did the loop into the Catalochee Valley in Garmin Connect.  Let me know if you want me to send it to you.  (I don't know how, but I'm sure I could figure it out or share the ride or send a bunch of screen shots)
Quote 0 0
ergo
jhueber1 wrote:
@Ergo  Thanks for the info.  I might be in touch for some more details as the trip gets closer.  Thanks

Yo, jh, I was looking at some old threads and saw this.  Did you ever make a trip to Pigeon Forge/Asheville and get any decent rides out of the trip?
Quote 0 0