simplemind
I’m looking for a tight fitting tire.  I’m running a non-tubeless rim (Mavic Ksyrium) and have trouble with similar Clement tires blowing off.  Yeah, they are easy to mount in the field, but I want a tire to stay on.  What do you suggest?
Quote 0 0
TheRo0sTer
Vittoria Torreno Dry I needed the tire jack. Byway 44s I needed the tire jack.
Quote 0 0
shiggy
TheRo0sTer wrote:
Vittoria Torreno Dry I needed the tire jack. Byway 44s I needed the tire jack.

with what rims.
Quote 0 0
TheRo0sTer
The Torrenos were tight going onto all three wheelsets I have, Rovals, Reynolds ATR and Carbon Speed hoops (least tight, but the jack was needed). Byways were super tight going on my 29er Rovals and stock Bontrager wheels from the Checkpoint.
Quote 0 0
knl2stl
The Goodyear Connector Ultimate is the tightest fitting tire I have ever mounted on my American Classic Hurricanes.  It was silly hard and then a total pain to get the bead to sit.  It is a little more egg shaped than the MSO bit I actually like it a bit more.  
Quote 0 0
chas
Not to sounds snarky, but in 50 years of doing this I have never had a tire blow off unless I mounted it wrong.  The bead has to seat evenly.  I tend to mount the tire, inflate to max PSI, and carefully inspect the rim to see the tire is hooked onto the bead properly.  Usually there is a little line near the bead of the tire - and I check to see that is evenly spaced from the rim along the circumference.  Otherwise, I haven't seated the bead properly.

To answer your question - tubeless tires are very tight in general (some more than others) - my Schwalbe's are so tight and stiff that I can't get them on some of my non tubeless rims at all.   My Conti GP5000 are exponentially tighter than anything I've ever had in my life (32mm road tubeless).  All traditional tires are floppy and loose compared to these two brands.
Quote 0 0
clarksonxc
chas wrote:
Not to sounds snarky, but in 50 years of doing this I have never had a tire blow off unless I mounted it wrong.  The bead has to seat evenly.  I tend to mount the tire, inflate to max PSI, and carefully inspect the rim to see the tire is hooked onto the bead properly.  Usually there is a little line near the bead of the tire - and I check to see that is evenly spaced from the rim along the circumference.  Otherwise, I haven't seated the bead properly.

To answer your question - tubeless tires are very tight in general (some more than others) - my Schwalbe's are so tight and stiff that I can't get them on some of my non tubeless rims at all.   My Conti GP5000 are exponentially tighter than anything I've ever had in my life (32mm road tubeless).  All traditional tires are floppy and loose compared to these two brands.

Yeah but he's doing an old-school ghetto tubeless conversion; back then tires were notorious for blowing off rims.  But it begs the question to the OP - why not just save yourself the trouble and get a true tubeless rim/tire combo?  Stuff is DIALED these days!
Quote 0 0
ljsmith
Honestly, what you are trying to do is just a bad idea.  The older non tubeless Ksyriums probably have an inner width of 15mm which is too narrow for gravel size tires.  Add in to the fact that they are not tubeless rims and you are just asking for trouble.  Just buy new wheels, they will cost a lot less than an ambulance to the emergency room when your tires blow off at high speed.
Quote 0 0
knl2stl
The OP does not state that he is trying to set up anything tubeless, only that he is looking for a tight fitting tire.

So, Simplemind, are you looking to run tubes with your set up?
Quote 0 0
ljsmith
knl2stl wrote:
The OP does not state that he is trying to set up anything tubeless, only that he is looking for a tight fitting tire.

So, Simplemind, are you looking to run tubes with your set up?

Do you know a lot of people that have problems with tubed tires blowing off?  Unless you mount it incorrectly this is close to impossible.  
Quote 0 0
knl2stl
Not a lot, but I have seen it.  And I don’t know if their tires were mounted correctly or not.  But I will leave it up to the OP to say whether or not he plans to run tubeless.  
Quote 0 0
TheRo0sTer
I have seen tires with bad beads blow off the wheel no matter what you do. This has happened with a some FAT tires I mounted and it recently happened with a GK SKs that had a messed up case, sidewall and bead. It's not always a persons fault the tire won't seat.
Quote 0 0