Pynchonite
Howdy, all!  I want to use my Revelate frame bag to hold a couple of Camelbak reservoirs for a stupid-long ride.  I'm a big guy and the hoses that the bags came with won't reach the bars from all the way at the bottom of the frame bag.  Are there any hoses that'll reach, or do I need to start doing yoga so I can fold over to my water supply?  Thanks!

Edit: I have two Dromlite bags that I could use, but I'm a little gun-shy about them ever since one opened itself in my bag during a White Rim trip.
Quote 1 0
western_rider's_dad
I don't use the full-size frame bag, but I have the Tangle on a couple of my bikes.  I can fit a 2L Camelback bladder in there with no problem, and from that position on the bike the tube can pass through the front of the bag up to a height I can reach comfortably while riding.  I do bend down a bit, but it is no big deal.  Also, to keep the tube from flopping around too much, I do have one of these attached to my stem.  It appears it is no longer available, at least through Amazon, but it is a pretty common type of retractable corded clip.  You could probably find something similar that is marketed as a badge-holder.

https://reviews.mtbr.com/veleau-lapeleau-review

For your full-size frame bag, if the standard tube won't reach up to you, you can always add another length of tube to it, using a connector, or replace it with a longer tube.  I haven't looked recently, but I think there are options for tubing, and as long as it is food quality, it would be acceptable.  Of course the longer the tube, the harder and longer you're having to suck on it to draw the water up.  I guess it'll just add to the workout, right?

Good luck!
Quote 0 0
Pynchonite
Thanks, I hadn't thought to use a connector and two tubes - that's a good idea!  I'll have to see if Camelbak makes something that would work for that.  I need to use the full-size because the ride's 200 miles long and there's no guaranteed water along the route so I'll be carrying two reservoirs in the bag.  Otherwise, I'd much rather just use a Tangle-style bag.  As far as keeping everything in place, I recall seeing some Tour Divide folks zip-tying the Camelbak magnetic clasps onto their stem or whatnot, which seems like an easy fix.
Quote 0 0
GHC
Probably goes without saying.....make sure you test the longer hose well to insure  sucking the increased distance doesn’t mess with your program, and that whatever hose you get doesn’t collapse on itself when doing so (particularly if the one  you find is cheap).

good luck on the ride!!
Quote 1 0
epzamora
What's the length of your hydration tube? Seems most standard lengths are 28 inches. This Camelbak tube is 38.5...  https://www.amazon.com/Camelbak-Pure-Flow-Replacement-Tube/dp/B00437TW6Y
Quote 0 0
tfgosnell
I have put two hoses together with an Osprey quick connect. The hose easily reaches my mouth, and I have no problem drawing water. I put the hose joint inside my frame bag so that there is no need to disturb how the hose is threaded into the bag when you pull the bladder out to refill. Works like a charm. 
Quote 1 0
Pynchonite
tfgosnell wrote:
I have put two hoses together with an Osprey quick connect. The hose easily reaches my mouth, and I have no problem drawing water. I put the hose joint inside my frame bag so that there is no need to disturb how the hose is threaded into the bag when you pull the bladder out to refill. Works like a charm. 

What kind of reservoir are you using?  Or does it really matter with that kit?  That's a great suggestion, btw!
Quote 0 0
Pynchonite
epzamora wrote:
What's the length of your hydration tube? Seems most standard lengths are 28 inches. This Camelbak tube is 38.5...  https://www.amazon.com/Camelbak-Pure-Flow-Replacement-Tube/dp/B00437TW6Y

42 cm is what they quote it at, I think.  Haven't checked in a minute.  I just know that last time I used it, I had to stop whenever I wanted to drink or risk bashing my head on my steerer.
Quote 0 0
tfgosnell
I use a 3 liter Hydrapak Shape Shift bladder. I like how flexible it is. That makes it easier to fit in the frame bag with other stuff.
Quote 0 0
fourfa
Most hardware stores will have large spools of 1/4" PVC food-grade water hose.  That's all Osprey or Camelbak do, buy the same stuff in bulk and cut it.  More likely to find clear than blue, but both easy to find online

For instance: https://www.lowes.com/pd/EASTMAN-1-4-in-x-150-ft-PVC-Clear-Vinyl-Tubing/1000365023

I've been using full frame bags and bladders for years, and given I'm 6'2" on XL frames I've added a lot of length to my hydration setup with stuff like above.
Quote 1 0
Pynchonite
@fourfa Good advice - I'm in the exact position you are.  I'm 6'5" with an XL Surly Ogre that I want to use.  I have both kinds of Camelbak tube (the old style and the newer, wider style they equip with the Crux reservoir) so I'll have to see if that kind of tubing fits one or the other of those.
Quote 0 0