Snowcol
Folks, I have a gravel bike with SRAM Rival 1 system, 11 speed. 40T chainring up front and 11-36 rear. I'm setting up for some bike packing trips in hilly Scotland and want to get lower gearing. SRAM say their 11-42 is the biggest cassette my long cage DR will work with. Has anybody gone bigger? Im planning on trying the Sunrace 11-46 cassette. Has anybody experimented beyond the SRAM recommendations?
I'd be interested in your results/thoughts/advice. Cheers
Quote 0 0
Ferrous
I currently run a Garbaruk 10-46 and a 38T up front, using a stand Rival 1 long cage derailleur. Shifting is pretty well 98% compared to the 42... and that could just be in my head :-) Overall I am very happy with the performance. The only issue I've had is a few more chain drops which kind of makes sense.... Just today I received a package with the Garbaruk long(er) cage with their oversized jockey wheels. I am hoping this eliminates the issue. I can let you know when I'm allowed to ride again.

So, the short answer is yes. You just need to fiddle around with your B-screw a bit. Depending on how low you want to go, a 11-42 with a 38T front might end up being 'safer' than a 40/46 but I 'needed' even lower. You may want the higher gear of course too. Well for me it was either that or train harder and get stronger... but where's the fun in that? :-)
Quote 0 0
Snowcol
Ferrous, thanks for your reply which is reassuring. Dont want to train, just have fun cycling!😆.
All the best
Quote 0 0
Cody
I currently run a Sunrace 11-46 with a Shimano GRX 40T up front and Rival 1. I recently installed it on a Carbonda CFR696 and it seems to work great.  I had a little trouble getting the adjustment right but after I figured it out it seems to shift very well.
Quote 0 0
Ferrous
Just a quick update on the longer Garbaruk cage. I think I'm just going to go back to the original SRAM long cage instead... I just can't get the Garbaruk extended cage and jockey wheels to work properly. Sorry for hijacking the thread, but a quick question for @Cody please: do you have any issues with dropped chains? I get everything shifting well, but downhill in a high gear (where there is less tension on the chain) I have issues. It's almost like the clutch / spring is not quite strong enough. I can't shorten the chain because I need it for the 46. Thanks.
Quote 0 0
Snowcol
Folks, thanks for the responses. Looks like this mod should work on my gravel bike which is great news for my legs! 
Ferrous a pro bike rider friend of mine who suggested this mod to me said he uses a K-Edge chain catcher on his Canyon Aeroad.

No worries re using this thread, please discuss anything related to such modifications. Every day is a school day!
Quote 0 0
Cody
I have no issues with dropped chains so far.  I've had the set up for two weeks now and have been on about 10 rides with no problem.  I'm using a shimano dura ace 11 speed chain and the configuration seems to be very quiet.

Ferrous wrote:
Just a quick update on the longer Garbaruk cage. I think I'm just going to go back to the original SRAM long cage instead... I just can't get the Garbaruk extended cage and jockey wheels to work properly. Sorry for hijacking the thread, but a quick question for @Cody please: do you have any issues with dropped chains? I get everything shifting well, but downhill in a high gear (where there is less tension on the chain) I have issues. It's almost like the clutch / spring is not quite strong enough. I can't shorten the chain because I need it for the 46. Thanks.
 
Quote 0 0
smoothmoose
Any of you guys run 2 wheelsets and cassette setups?

I have the 11-36 on my 700c/road/flat gravel setup.  I also have 11-42, but want to upgrade to 11-50.  I've been have some issues now with shifting when swapping wheelsets - so I fear going to 11-50 will make it worse - even if I upgrade.  It used to work fine.  Is it possible to run both 11-36 and 11-50 without mucking with B-limit screw much?
Quote 0 0
Toadmeister
smoothmoose wrote:
Any of you guys run 2 wheelsets and cassette setups?

I have the 11-36 on my 700c/road/flat gravel setup.  I also have 11-42, but want to upgrade to 11-50.  I've been have some issues now with shifting when swapping wheelsets - so I fear going to 11-50 will make it worse - even if I upgrade.  It used to work fine.  Is it possible to run both 11-36 and 11-50 without mucking with B-limit screw much?


Ive considered doing the same but am thinking adjusting the derailuer each time is too much work.
Quote 0 0
Ferrous
Thanks Cody. I might try a new chainring... it's not that old though. Never had dropped chains before, but it could also be that this more 'extreme' config does require a chain device. 

Cody wrote:
I have no issues with dropped chains so far.  I've had the set up for two weeks now and have been on about 10 rides with no problem.  I'm using a shimano dura ace 11 speed chain and the configuration seems to be very quiet.

Quote 0 0
Lefty52
My understanding is 46 is the largest.
Quote 0 0
Carverbiker
I do not swap wheels but do swap cassettes, usually 11-46 XT and 14-32 both 11 spd. I typically need to adjust the b screw, cable tension and limit screws when I swap. I think it is because of the large difference between the biggest cogs. I do not think you could go larger than 46t in the back.
Quote 0 0
pete kumble
For the OP, you will need a 42 or 50 on the back if you are going bike packing in a hilly area.
Quote 0 0