langdalek
I am looking to improve the braking with my Raleigh Roker Comp. I am currently running SRAM Rival 1 brakes and rotors. Can I run any other types of rotor (shimano ice tech, hope, etc.) and will any of these improve both heat dissipation and brake power?  
Quote 0 0
Slim
langdalek wrote:
I am looking to improve the braking with my Raleigh Roker Comp. I am currently running SRAM Rival 1 brakes and rotors. Can I run any other types of rotor (shimano ice tech, hope, etc.) and will any of these improve both heat dissipation and brake power?  

Yes, despite what manufacturers will tell you, you can use any brand rotor(barring exotic ones made of different materials or extremely cut out.).
Pretty much all normal rotors are made of stainless steel so I wouldn’t  expect to see an increase in braking power.

Going up in rotor size(regardless of brand)  will improve both heat dissipation and power.

Changing brake pads can increase power(but is not guaranteed). I have seen tests of sram mtb brakes that measured 25% more brake force with Trickstuff Power pads. Not sure if they are available for Sram road brakes.

The various brake pads with cooling fins on top might help a bit but independent testing I have seen is inconclusive.

Definitely stay away from the pads with alloy backing instead of steel, as they conduct a fair bit more heat to the pistons.

Some of the rotors with cooling alloy sections might help with heat dissipation. The Shimano ones though, have a bad history of warping for even softening the alloy center layer.

In short, bigger rotors (SrAM made some 170mm ones for a while, if you don’t want to go to 180), is the only guaranteed way to achieve all your goals, especially in the rear where the brake is more shielded from the wind and so tends to stay hotter than the front one.

Many Road forks might be maxed out at 160mm though.

As far as heat goes, remember to bleed your brakes regularly. Sram brakes used DOT fluid, which absorbs water from the air, lowering it’s boiling point.

And of course, if you do switch  pads, make sure you either get fresh rotors, or sand them clean, then bed them in very well.
Quote 0 0