Cody

Has anyone had success using a SRAM Rival 1 Derailleur on a cassette larger than 11-42T?

I'm thing about upgrading my cassette to a Shimano XT M8000 11-46T.

Thanks,

Cody

Quote 0 0
RoadHammer
I used an 11-46T sunrace with SRAM Apex 1 on my Salsa Warbird.  That worked fine.  It came stock with an 11-42T and I just switched it out and everything was good.  I don't think I even needed to add links to the chain.  I have since converted to Ultregra Di2 2x system.

Cody wrote:

Has anyone had success using a SRAM Rival 1 Derailleur on a cassette larger than 11-42T?

Thanks,

Cody

Quote 1 0
ljsmith
I’ve used a Force 1 with a 9-46 with no issues.
Quote 1 0
Cody
RoadHammer and Ljsmith,

Thanks for the responses.  I suspected it would work.  When I inquired with SRAM they said that an 11-42T was the largest cassette the Rival 1 derailleur would take.  I realize they don't make a cassette larger than a 42T.
Quote 0 0
RoadHammer
The sunrace cassette i bought on amazon came with a derailleur hangar extender that will give you more clearance for larger tooth sprockets. I didn’t need to use it as there was enough b-screw adjustment available. 
—RH

Cody wrote:
RoadHammer and Ljsmith,

Thanks for the responses.  I suspected it would work.  When I inquired with SRAM they said that an 11-42T was the largest cassette the Rival 1 derailleur would take.  I realize they don't make a cassette larger than a 42T.
Quote 0 0
bluesky6
I'm running a Sunrace 11-46 with the Rival 1 on my RLT 9 RDO. I had to turn in the b-screw a little for the derailleur cog to clear the large gears in the cassette.

I noticed that I had to insert a 1mm spacer behind the Sunrace on an 11-speed hub (DT Swiss in this case). Has anyone else seen that?
Quote 0 0
dangle
bluesky6 wrote:
I'm running a Sunrace 11-46 with the Rival 1 on my RLT 9 RDO. I had to turn in the b-screw a little for the derailleur cog to clear the large gears in the cassette.

I noticed that I had to insert a 1mm spacer behind the Sunrace on an 11-speed hub (DT Swiss in this case). Has anyone else seen that?

It should have been a 1.8 mm spacer. 11 speed mountain for Shimano and Sunrace is the exact same spacing as 10 speed mountain and 10 speed road. 11 speed hubs typically refer to 11 speed road which is 1.8 mm longer than 10 speed.
Quote 0 0
dangle
Cody wrote:

That should work fine. There's even bikes coming stock with that setup now.

Quote 1 0
langdalek
I switched from SRAM 11-42 cassette to a sunrace 11-46 with Rival 1 rear derailleur on my Raleigh Roker Comp and also had no issues other than readjusting the derailleur and adjusting b-screw. Shifts into the 46 no problem. I also switched the 42 front chainring to a 38 so chain did not need size adjustments.
Quote 1 0
Slim
Cody wrote:

Thanks,

Cody

i have run that exact set up for 2 years now on my Warbird.

note that using larger cassettes than specified depends on frame/hanger geometry as well as derailleur. That said, it’s so close to stock I would be surprise if it didn’t work on every bike.
i also run a 46t cassette on both my and my wife’s mtb with Sram 1x derailleur, and they work great too.
Quote 1 0
Nietmann
 I’m using a 36T chainring with 10-42T SRAM cassette on my AWOL (Rival 1 shifters + rear mech). Will there be any issues if I change the cassette to a larger one (46T) with such a small chainring. I’m willing to climb steeper climbs than I’m used to. Thanx
Quote 0 0
BubbaS
Just switch to 2x ðŸ˜
Quote 0 0