jedocherty

Hi,

I'm having all sorts of problems sorting out the gearing on my Diverge.

Currrently she's 50:34 11-32  but i want to go steeper.  BB30 FSA gossamer chainset, 105 derailleurs and a kmc chain. 

Simplest solution would be to bang on a road link but specialized tell me the slightly odd chain line would mean this wouldn't work apparently. Also shimano don't make an 11 speed 11-36 and the local bike shop tell me they have "issues" with the larger sram cassettes 

Does anyone know if 105 11 speed sti shifters pull enough/not too much cable for an XT mech so i can put an 11-40 on her and just swap the 5800 for an M8000

Otherwise if any of you have a Diverge and any other solution i'd appreciate suggestions.   

Thanks in advance

John

Quote 0 0
deepakvrao
Not used it myself but you get this

http://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/derailleur-optimization/products/tanpan

which allows you to use a MTB RD with road shifters.

Another alternative, though more expensive would be a crankset change to 30/46.
Quote 0 0
jedocherty
Thanks for that.  I think i'll give it a shot. I can't find a 46/30 to fit the diverge's BB30 bottom bracket.
Quote 0 0
deepakvrao
Velo Orange sells one for about 200, but you need a new BB, which is also available with them.
Quote 0 0
DrSpoke
I have 2 buddies both of whom are running SRAM 11-36 on their Diverges.  Neither are having any issues and neither are using the RoadLink.  I did the tuning on one of them and just ran the B-Screw in almost all the way but didn't have to resort to any more drastic solutions such as reversing the B-Screw or installing a longer one.  I'm also running an 11-36 on my X-Trail with no issues though I did install a RoadLink rather than adjusting w/the B-Screw.  That said, it's nice to have a RD w/a clutch in which case an XT or XTR RD w/a Tanpan is the way to go.  In fact, I may go that route myself rather than convert to Di2 as I've been bouncing a lot of chains off the front rings.  The other options is to wait for the XT Di2 though that is a pricey option. 

BTW, the RoadLink doesn't change the chain line it merely drops the RD 1" to allow more clearance between the upper pulley and the cassette.  And I'd be curious as to what the "issues" are as well.  My guess is that the SRAM cassette may not be quite as refined as the upper end Shimano but have never heard of any problems either.  Both sound like, at best, opinions and, at worst, bike shop BS. 
Quote 1 0
4george
I'm currently running an 11-36 SRAM cassette with an 46/34 chainring setup on my 105 Warbird, and it works great. Shifting might be just a hair slower than the original 11-32 50/34 setup, but then again, it could be my imagination. My mechanic ended up swapping in an ultegra 46 tooth CX front ring and using the stock 105 small ring. WickWerks also makes a 44/34 CX setup.

I am running 40s and really like the 46 tooth big ring, as I am able to spend much more time in the big ring.
Quote 0 0
jeffvader
My buddy used 11-40 with the road link. Shimano 11 speed with 105 rear.
Right at the bottom of this post. It was flawless over some very serious terrain http://jeffsbike.blogspot.co.nz/2016/02/tour-aotearoa-sports-illustrated-bikini.html?m=1
Quote 0 0