co-dlk
I should first say I am in the market for a gravel specific bike.  I want something with some good tire clearance and a little longer wheelbase etc.  

In my reasearch the Crux Elite EVO came up.  They market this as a gravel bike but it has the same exact geometry as all the specialized cx bikes.  Has anyone ridden this?  Is it worth a look?
Quote 0 0
anthonyeric1357
Looks like a fast graveler.  I am currently riding a Trek Domane with 30mm knobby tires as my gravel bike.  It has similar geometry to the bike in question.  I find it to ride just fine.  The geometry helps keep your speed up.
Quote 0 0
cdkarp
I have been riding an aluminum crux for 3 years.  I have not tried anything wider than a 35c tire but the disc frame should have plenty of clearance.  I only had problems with mud once. The bike has been very comfortable on long 8+ hour rides.
Quote 0 0
docfink
I've ridden my '14 Crux red disc in several CX races with 35c CX tires along with multiple >50 mile rides with 28c road tires. The bike performs well in all situations, only limited by it's rather average rider. I can't think of a better all-arounder.
Quote 0 0
Pattersnap
As a gravel racer the Crux is one of the more suitable cyclocross rigs. It's got good tire clearance and has been pedaled to numerous DK200 victories.

1370544237719-q3rcovsghmaa-800-75.jpg

More here.

Raleigh's Tamland might be more your cup of tea if you want something with a longer wheelbase and more stability

http://ridinggravel.forumchitchat.com/post/raleigh-tamland-6570089
Quote 0 0
BluesDawg
I have a Crux Elite EVO and it is a fine gravel bike. Lighter and faster than my steel monstercross bike, but a little harsher on ruts and rocks with its stiffer carbon fork. The BB drop at 67mm is lower than many CX bike, which I consider a plus. I love the precise steering when avoiding obstacles on fast descents. The cobble gobbler seat post does soak up some bumps.

I swapped the heavy stock wheels for Stans Iron Cross on which I run 40mm Clement MSOs tubeless. They have plenty of clearance for dry conditions, but might be a little tight for sticky mud.

I also upgraded the drivetrain to Red crank and derailleurs. It started as a move to a WiFli RD so I could run a 12-32 cassette and I got carried away. [wink]

The hydro disc brakes are great. Plenty of power, but more importantly, great modulation to slow without skidding on fast, turning descents.

Hattie poses by the creek by BluesDawg, on Flickr

Quote 0 0
Pattersnap
BluesDawg wrote:
I have a Crux Elite EVO and it is a fine gravel bike.

Hattie poses by the creek by BluesDawg, on Flickr

Nice looking bike. I just got confirmation today that Specialized has another gravel bike in the works. Stay tuned...
Quote 0 0
BluesDawg
Pattersnap wrote:

Nice looking bike. I just got confirmation today that Specialized has another gravel bike in the works. Stay tuned...

Do you mean the AWOL?
Quote 0 0
Pattersnap
BluesDawg wrote:

Do you mean the AWOL?

Nope.
Quote 0 0
mtb_frk
That's interesting...
Quote 0 0
ograf
I have owned a Crux Apex and now I have a Salsa Fargo. I have done Dirty Kanza on the Crux and the Fargo. I wouldn't go back to a Crux. Although the Fargo isn't truly a gravel bike it is sooo darn comfortable and stable. It has wheelbase and all the tire clearance you could ask for. It is probably one of the most versatile bikes out there. If your looking for something lighter and racier look at the original gravel bike the Salsa Warbird. The thing to remember about CX bikes are the way they are meant to be used short fast races not all day grinds. Anyway that's my 2 cents. Good luck in your search.
Quote 0 0
BluesDawg
Pattersnap wrote:
BluesDawg wrote:

Do you mean the AWOL?

Nope.

A higher spec Crux or something truly different?
Quote 0 0
Pattersnap
BluesDawg wrote:
Pattersnap wrote:
BluesDawg wrote:

Do you mean the AWOL?

Nope.

It looks to be a higher-end Crux EVO.
Quote 0 0
BluesDawg
Pattersnap wrote:
BluesDawg wrote:
Pattersnap wrote:
BluesDawg wrote:

Do you mean the AWOL?

Nope.

It looks to be a higher-end Crux EVO.

I could see them doing an Expert EVO. The only differences between the standard and EVO model Elites are the frame color, wider tires, chainring size and the CGB-R seatpost. Not a big deal, really.
Quote 0 0
readycpa
The carbon crux evo was on my short list but I ended up finding a great deal on a used 2013 BH RX Team (aka Pivot Vault). Plenty of clearance for 35mm tires. I'm running Bontrager CX0 38's and the rear is close but enough clearance for me.
[0f287672da3ebbe7134d7463346b28b6_08b] 
Quote 0 0
frontrangegravel
The Angry Singlespeeder just did a review of the Crux Elite Evo Rival Disc on MTBR.

Here's the link.

Crux Elite.jpg 
Quote 0 0