cautiouschris

Hi all-

Thought I’d post here to try and get some advice/ ideas on this project. My vision for this bike has always been to accent the cream color with silver and tan bits. This was originally built up with an old Ulterga groupo from the parts bin, some shinny parts from Velo Orange, Brooks Saddle, Nitto Noodle bars, tan Salsa tape.
IMG_5631.jpg 

My project now is to 1) update shifters to the ‘under the bar tape’ type to smooth out the cockpit look. And 2) go 1X drive train. I’d like to accomplish this with an eye towards keeping the silver/ shinny/ chrome look, rather than the space grey or black components like GRX or recent Ultegra group.

Any thoughts or ideas here? Have ya’ll seen similar styled bike out there on the inter-webs? I don’t mind going a little ‘franken-bike’ to make this happen. I've looked at mixing/ matching XT cassette and derailleur with new Ulterga shifters (I *think* this would work) but that leave me with the front chainring issue. GRX looks nice but don't like the color combo. Older Campy maybe?

Some specs: Hub Spacing: 132.5 mm, Bottom Bracket Type: 68mm English

Appreciate any thoughts or leads on this project!

Quote 0 0
Volsung
Campy Potenza comes in silver.  Campy hoods fit my hands better than Shimano too.  

I'm currently running Campy with an 11-34 Shimano cassette that has mountain spacing.  
Quote 0 0
ljsmith
No one makes a 1x chainring for Potenza cranks.
Quote 0 0
Volsung
Any 11 speed crankset is compatible.  
Quote 0 0
cautiouschris
Thanks for the info on the Potenza + Shimano cassette. May I ask what derailleur you are using?
Quote 0 0
Volsung
Chorus 11.  I think it's a medium cage.  It clears the cassette no problem without a road link or anything.
Quote 1 0
cyclery88
Shimano 105 can be had in a silver colorway.  It's not polished silver, but it would be the newest and closest to silver you could get.  You can run the 7000 series long cage rear derailleur with at least a 40T largest cog - from my experience.  

Otherwise, Campy is always a great idea.  You'd have to get creative with the rear derailleur if you wanted to run 1x and anything larger than a 34T largest cassette cog.  Possibly a Wolftooth Roadlink.
Quote 1 0
cautiouschris
CD70A1DA-78A1-47FB-9D9F-B83A5A303D26.jpeg  8B9C5D90-4ABE-4312-9C12-E127E06CD4B4.jpeg  0E4BDB6F-1FC3-4F9F-AA27-390CAD1CA65D.jpeg  7B2A329B-3C70-496F-97E5-ED60F132FD41.jpeg  499C5CCF-DD09-419B-90FA-0CFFF4032167.jpeg  Shout back to everyone who chimed in on this thread. Great helpful ideas. It’s a bit of a Frankenbike, but given the age of the frame and my particular constraints, I think it turned out well.
The campy shifter/ derailleur combo works smoothly with the XT cassette. Some Wolf Tooth goodies to make everything play nicely together. The cleaner cockpit and drive trail look has really grown on me! Now when I see a classic road bike with the giant crankset up front it just looks a little foreign.🤔
anyway thanks again for the help and the cool forum!
Quote 0 0