balles88 Show full post »
jfranci3
Buying the exact same rotors helps too.
Quote 0 0
balles88
Slim wrote:

The aero rule of thumb is outer rim width 105% times tire width.
Keep in mind that older tires on wide rims will come up wider than their listed size.

And then think of the fact that the possible gains for the rear wheel are far smaller, since it’s shielded by the seat tube, and hit by dirty air from legs and frame.

At the same time, the rear wheel has more weight on it. So I agree that going to a narrower front tire, on a wide and deep rim, combined with a wider rear tire, on a rim that is not as wide relatively, nor as deep, is probably an optimum solution.

Personally, I never want to ride 25mm tires again, but maybe your roads are better than ours, haha!

Hi! Thanks for your advice! I was thinking about front wheel (AR46 46 deep and 28 outer width) together with 25mm tire and rear wheel (AR56 56 deep and 30 outer width). You are saying that it would be better to get a wider rear tire, yes, but on a rim not as wide nor deep. I thought it was the opposite! 
However, as I said before, considering many posts I have read about tires as well, general recommendation is to go with 28mm tires. Therefore, I think that AR56 front and rear with that tire will be great. My doubts are about deepness of the wheel. I hope I don't suffer it a lot!! 🙂
Quote 0 0
Slim

@balles88 , what I meant about the rear tire and rim was:

A wider tire in the rear helps prevent pinchflats, while still offering a comfortable ride. It also is less susceptible to increase in rolling resistance due to non optimal inflation pressure.

For maximum aero benefit, that wider tire would also need a wider rim. However, super wide rims are hard to find, and heavy. In the rear, aerodynamics of the wheel/tire combo matters less, so sacrificing maximum aerodynamics in order to get the benefits of a wider tire is probably a good trade off.

Quote 0 0
chas
balles88 wrote:

Apologies for the confusion, my decision is between AR46 and AR56. The AR46 are lighter and a little bit cheaper... but a 28mm tire would be too wide for that rim?

I have basically the same DT swiss rims you have (CR1600 with 22inner 28outer).  I ran them with 28mm tires and they were super aero.  However on very hard sharp low speed turns I would end up on the sidewall too much - and there isn't much rubber to wear away there.  Food for though.  

I do like that wheel size though.  I have a carbon set that matches the DT Swiss size, and run anything from 28mm to 54mm on both sets them.  Mostly these days I'm on the GP5000 32mm.  Amazing tire.  I wouldn't go any smaller - our asphalt just isn't that smooth.  I love that size.  I have some 28mm ones on my road bike, but would rather be on the 32mm tires.  If it's rough and dirty, I'm on my wheelset with the 40mm tires.  
Quote 0 0
balles88
Slim wrote:

@balles88 , what I meant about the rear tire and rim was:

A wider tire in the rear helps prevent pinchflats, while still offering a comfortable ride. It also is less susceptible to increase in rolling resistance due to non optimal inflation pressure.

For maximum aero benefit, that wider tire would also need a wider rim. However, super wide rims are hard to find, and heavy. In the rear, aerodynamics of the wheel/tire combo matters less, so sacrificing maximum aerodynamics in order to get the benefits of a wider tire is probably a good trade off.

chas wrote:

I have basically the same DT swiss rims you have (CR1600 with 22inner 28outer).  I ran them with 28mm tires and they were super aero.  However on very hard sharp low speed turns I would end up on the sidewall too much - and there isn't much rubber to wear away there.  Food for though.  

I do like that wheel size though.  I have a carbon set that matches the DT Swiss size, and run anything from 28mm to 54mm on both sets them.  Mostly these days I'm on the GP5000 32mm.  Amazing tire.  I wouldn't go any smaller - our asphalt just isn't that smooth.  I love that size.  I have some 28mm ones on my road bike, but would rather be on the 32mm tires.  If it's rough and dirty, I'm on my wheelset with the 40mm tires.  

Thank you so much for all the advises! I finally to buy the AR56 Wheelset from LB (23mm inner - 30 outer and 56 deep). I will mount Conti GP5x 28mm with tubes. I will have as well the possibility to go narrower with 25mm and wider to 30mm.

I will get as well a new cassete, probably Shimano 11-28. Is this a good option? 

Do I need to get anything else to mount the wheelset? Rotors?

Thanks!!
Quote 0 0
balles88

jfranci3 wrote:
You want to be able to just toss the second set of wheels on the bike and ride. You've got what looks to be a Shimano 11-34 cassette https://amzn.to/3a408GM, so buy either that or an 11-32 (note you need to run the 1.8mm spacer with the 11-34 cassette).  You've probably got 2x 160mm centerlock discs https://amzn.to/2Rz9FPG and you probably need 2x lockrings https://amzn.to/2yeTmAV

Hi! I continue learning by doing and I learnt about the rotor disk brakes, the different types etc.. 

My new wheel set is coming with DT350 which is directly Center Lock system. I don’t want to use any adapter to change to 6bolt. 

What I want is to avoid (as much as possible) any adjustment in calipers and RD. 

Currently I have a Shimano 105 (11-32) 11s.

I am thinking about getting a Shimano Ultegra (11-28) for my road wheel set. Would be better to make my life easier one cassete with 11s instead of 10s?

About rotor disk brake, is the best idea to get just the same than the one used in my other wheel set to avoid any adjustments?

About tooling, do I need any special tooling?

by the way, I was thinking about the satin finish for my LB wheels but I am not still convinced... matte looks great also. 

thanks a lot! 

Quote 0 0
jfranci3
No get an 11-28 11sp Shimano cassette. It’ll work fine. You might still need to adj it with the knob where the cable hits the rear derailleur, but it’s super simple. 

Disc, you probably have a Shimano Centerlock disc on the current wheelset.  Just buy a similar looking one from Shimano. You probably need to buy a disc lock ring too. 

Tool -use the cassette lock ring tool or buy one.  You may also need a chain whip. Park tools website explains it all. 
Quote 0 0
balles88

jfranci3 wrote:
No get an 11-28 11sp Shimano cassette. It’ll work fine. You might still need to adj it with the knob where the cable hits the rear derailleur, but it’s super simple. 

Disc, you probably have a Shimano Centerlock disc on the current wheelset.  Just buy a similar looking one from Shimano. You probably need to buy a disc lock ring too. 

Tool -use the cassette lock ring tool or buy one.  You may also need a chain whip. Park tools website explains it all. 

I will get then the 11s cassette. I think there is no big difference with the 10s.

Yes I have been a few videos to adjust the RD and it seems quite simple. 

Exactly, I have currently a Shimano Center Lock disc so I will get one similar (RT800 or RT70)

A couple of Disc lock rings as well yes. 

I will get in Amazon some simple but complete tool set definitely! 

Thanks!!

Quote 0 0