Pattersnap
In case you missed it, Salsa rolled out a redesigned Warbird in carbon and aluminum over the weekend at Frostbike.

Warbird Carbon.jpg  Warbird Carbon
Warbird 105.jpg  Warbird 105 (aluminum)

Warbird Tiagra.jpg  Warbird Tiagra (aluminum) 

Quote 2 0
AlanEsh
The stripes on the black carbon version are a bit too reminiscent of a pack of lifesavers, but otherwise looking very sharp!
Quote 0 0
kriskexplorer
Why did they remove the TI bike???

Quote 0 0
mtb123
kriskexplorer wrote:
Why did they remove the TI bike???

checkout the video posted on the Salsa site. They don't explicitly address the removal of the Ti bike but they mention that in testing the new frame design both the carbon and AL models were more compliant than the Ti model. That's sorta three strikes against the Ti warbird. More expensive, heavier, and less compliant than the AL model.

Sucks for Ti Warbird owners as many people who purchase Ti bikes view them as "lifetime" bikes that they plan to own forever. Now Salsa is claiming their new AL bike outperforms the old Ti bike on several key metrics.
Quote 1 0
Pattersnap
AlanEsh wrote:
The stripes on the black carbon version are a bit too reminiscent of a pack of lifesavers, but otherwise looking very sharp!

You see Life Savers; I see Bob Marley's gravel bike.

Ride jah bike, mon. 
Quote 6 0
BluesDawg
So close! Another 5mm BB drop and I'd have a hard time talking myself out of buying the carbon frame.
Quote 1 0
ayjaydee
lol
Quote 0 0
AlanEsh
BluesDawg wrote:
So close! Another 5mm BB drop and I'd have a hard time talking myself out of buying the carbon frame.

Stack height has been lowered too, which is a small minus for me.
Quote 0 0
GuitarTed
Anybody have any info on this commenters question? I haven't heard a new ETA as of yet on the carbon Warbirds:

Quote:
Hey do you know the ETA for the Salsa carbon warbird? Originally I was told June but now I'm hearing it is pushed back to the fall. Boo.
Quote 0 0
Heffe
AlanEsh wrote:

Can't wait to check out the black model, love it! Salsa has a long association w the rasta color scheme and this is the first time I've seen it used in a while. The others are OK I guess but this one is the BOMB. I have a vintage "If It Ain't Moto It's Worthless" sticker waiting to go on the right frame!
Quote 0 0
Ytterbium
Salsa said to me on the 20th May, they would ship to shops at the end of July
Quote 1 0
Ytterbium
I put my order in for the white carbon one, they said they'll let me know as things progress.
Quote 0 0
FlashBazbo
This week, I was told delivery for current orders will be late August, if then, on the Carbon.  With the date moving back at a rapid pace, do they have supplier issues?  That's never good.
Quote 0 0
DrSpoke
That is my understanding as well.  When I called Salsa last week they are expecting deliveries in August to the factory after which they will build up the bikes there and ship to dealers.  So it will probably be September to the dealers depending where you are in the build queue.  When I called, I got the dock strike as the reason that everything is backed up.  But I expect there could be other issues.  Regardless, Salsa is missing out on a lot of sales opportunities as they will miss the whole Spring & Summer riding season.

I was looking for a plan B but couldn't come up with one so mine is on order.  That is, I looked at a Diverge but wanted room for wider tires.  And not much else out there even comes close.
Quote 0 0
FlashBazbo
I decided to change the bar and drivetrain on my Niner RLT9 instead of ordering the Warbird Carbon.  The two bikes weigh almost exactly the same.  I won't have the cushiness of carbon, but I'm not sure carbon on a heavy bike is all that cushy.  Besides that, I won't have to worry about first-year teething pains.  Maybe I'll spring for the Warbird in year 2. 
Quote 0 0
sgtrobo
FlashBazbo wrote:
I decided to change the bar and drivetrain on my Niner RLT9 instead of ordering the Warbird Carbon.  The two bikes weigh almost exactly the same.  I won't have the cushiness of carbon, but I'm not sure carbon on a heavy bike is all that cushy.  

interesting perspective.  the Carbon Warbird is listed as being under 20 lbs.  That doesn't seem all that heavy, does it?
Quote 0 0
FlashBazbo
Yes, it does.  For perspective, that's a carbon road bike, plus five pounds of additional carbon -- IF they somehow meet their claims in the future.  The reports I've read have the Warbird Carbon actually weighing in at 22.5 pounds (a road bike plus 7 or 8 pounds).  That's a pound or two more than my Niner RLT9 actually weighs, with pedals, cages, etc. 

Contrary to my earlier post, I've decided to beat them both and go with titanium. 
Quote 0 0
EagleGrinder
Also interesting that the tiagra doesn't have the new 4700 tiagra group set.
1,999 for tiagra
2,500 for 105

Out of my price range and for those prices I would expect steel. Overpriced in my opinion, and 5 year warranty on AL
Quote 0 0