jakedouglas
I used to ride road and used a Fizik Arione which I found to be very comfortable. I am now doing gravel rides of around 3 hours on this saddle and getting brutalized. I figured I would get used to it but I have been riding for several months now and it is not getting better.

What kind of saddle would be better for gravel riding, and why?

Thanks
Quote 0 0
AlanEsh
What kind of pain are you getting... I mean where on your anatomy? It's really hard for other people to diagnose the right saddle solution, but some basic info on where it hurts will help. Also please talk about what bike setup you were running before, and what you are riding now? Did you change bikes and keep the saddle, or maybe kept the same bike and just change out the tires? Details man! [wink]

Quote 0 0
jakedouglas
The discomfort depends on where I sit on the saddle. I'll start to feel sore in the "soft tissue" areas and then slide back to try to get more onto my bones, which then starts to feel like pinching/chafing around the bones area. I wonder if this saddle is just too narrow for me, but never manifested as a problem until I got onto more bumpy terrain?

I'm on a different bike than I used to ride on the road, but the riding position seems very similar or the same. Cannondale SystemSix vs. Cannondale CAADX.
Quote 0 0
AlanEsh
That does sound like a too-narrow saddle issue -- you should google up how to measure the width of your sit bones (there is an easy way to do it with corrugated cardboard) and then talk to your LBS about getting a saddle to match your width. Most shops will let you return a saddle within a set period of time if it isn't working out for you.
Quote 0 0
Drinkslinger
A couple of points here:
The geometry of a CAAD10 vs. a Super Six varies a bit. With a CAAD being a crit bike with steeper and tighter geo, your Super Six dimensions might be a bit off.

Also your saddle position might be different from one bike to the other.

And all things being equal, Ariones don't have much padding. I ride them on my track, road and CX, but for real rough stuff I'll move to a MTB saddle or a Tri saddle. These tend to have a bit more cushion than a typical road saddle.

Quote 0 0