squak Show full post »
zimdba
If you can live with the shifting, I'd put the money towards a new wheelset. 
Quote 0 0
Zurichman
zimdba wrote:
If you can live with the shifting, I'd put the money towards a new wheelset. 

Thanks zimba but I really don't think I can live with the shifting. The kicker is I am trying to save money to retire in 2 years and this is going to be some coin to switch. I did see a member on here that wanted to go 1x so maybe we can work a deal out. If that doesn't work out I think the longer I wait to get it done the more it is going to cost me at the LBS.

Zman
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
Quote 0 0
squak
Zurichman wrote:

Thanks zimba but I really don't think I can live with the shifting. The kicker is I am trying to save money to retire in 2 years and this is going to be some coin to switch. I did see a member on here that wanted to go 1x so maybe we can work a deal out. If that doesn't work out I think the longer I wait to get it done the more it is going to cost me at the LBS.

Zman

Trust me, switching to full-length cable housing will solve your SRAM 1x shifting issues.  The first 2 months I had my Roker I was constantly fiddling with the derailleur, housing, cables, routing, etc. trying to get the shifting right.  I could get it to shift OK for a while, but it would get crappy again after a few rides.  Mainly missed shifts and reluctance to move down the cassette in the smallest 3 cogs.  I'm convinced that the internal routing has too many sharp bends and stuff inside the frame (e.g. water bottle bolts) that cause extra drag/friction on cable.  I switched to full-length housing over 6 months ago and I've had perfect shifting ever since.

Making the conversion is no more difficult than a typical internal cable/housing replacement.  You'll need to drill out the cable stop where it first enters the frame near the head tube.  Also need to remove the cable guide below the bottom bracket. That's it.  Costs you hardly anything.

If what you really want is 2x then you may want to consider selling the Roker and buying something else.  A complete Shimano 105 groupset will cost you around $1000 plus labor (if you can't do it yourself).  Sounds like an expensive rabbit hole to me.  

Quote 0 0
rocthrower
Zman,  there are some really good deals on ebay right now for Shimano RS685 Hydraulic shifters and RS785 brakes.  You'll still need to get a crank, cassette and derailleurs, but it might be worth checking out.  I just picked up a new set in box for $260 this weekend.  They are also post mount brakes which should fit your Roker

Here is a set of new take-off shifters and brakes, pre-bled, shift cables included:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Shimano%2D11%2DSPD%2DDouble%2DHydraulic%2DDisc%2DBrake%2DR685%2DSTI%2DLever%2Dand%2DRs785%2DCaliper%2DSet/1968163130?iid=362428342486&opts=opick
Quote 0 0