CC
Currently running 42c Resolutes in front and 45c Riddlers on the back.

I am looking for 45mm tires, as my Vaya can fit those easily.  Not sure I want to get too much wider than that, and have to incur the weight penalty.

On my 2nd full season with the Resolutes and they need to be changed soon.

I would like something with more grip over sandy/loose/rocky stuff here in the Southwest.

I really like the Riddlers on the back, and I'll probably get those if I don't find anything else.  The Ramblers would have been nice to try, but the knows are a little shallow, IMO.

The Resolutes are great, even on asphalt, but for the loose/sandy trails I ride, I would prefer a more aggressive tire pattern.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Quote 0 0
owly
How about going to a 50mm? e.g. Schwalbe G-One Ultrabite (Evolution) front. G-One Bite (Evolution) rear. Both lower in weight (520gm, 500gm) than the 45mm Rambler.
Quote 0 0
CC
owly wrote:
How about going to a 50mm? e.g. Schwalbe G-One Ultrabite (Evolution) front. G-One Bite (Evolution) rear. Both lower in weight (520gm, 500gm) than the 45mm Rambler.

Very nice!

I think I will give these a shot.  Even the 50mm tanwall version weigh just the same as my Riddler.

Thanks!
Quote 0 0
imwjl
I know big Riddlers via one of my MTBs. 

Over and over MSO 50s impress me. I ride my drop bar bike on same sections of trail I ride MTBs or my fatty. I ride them on pavement too. I've considered Riddlers as maybe giving me more fender clearance when I have them on but wow are MSO 50s capable, predictable, durable and they seal well. I'll ride those MSO 50s with people who have faster tires and I keep up. When things turn ugly that slow or stop while I go. They even impress me as a non-studded winter tire.
Quote 0 0
CC
Looks like the Ultrabite (tanwall) are only available in January.

Will wait for those then.  🙂
Quote 0 0
chas
45mm rambler is 380g (Like the 38 and 40)

Oddly the 50mm is about 200g heavier
https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-512-139-rambler 

owly wrote:
Quote 0 0
dwhipple
highly recommend the 45mm Maxxis Rambler  
Quote 1 0
CC
dwhipple wrote:
highly recommend the 45mm Maxxis Rambler  

I've always wanted to try the 45mm Ramblers, but the tread design doesn't look any more aggressive (knobbier) than my current Resolute/Riddlers.

Here's a pic of some of the longer sections I ride.  Loose sandy/gravel/rock.

Screen Shot 2019-11-28 at 5.46.43 PM.png 
Quote 0 0
dwhipple
that road was made for Ramblers.  they have more tread than you'd think.
Quote 0 0