GOTA
Has anyone tried the Raleigh Stuntman?  It's a steel frame with clearance for 50mm tire tires with the SRAM Rival 1x hydraulic groupset and a dropper seatpost.  It almost sounds like Raleigh asked gravel riders for a wishlist and put it all into 1 bike.

Is the Stuntman too much of a good thing?  Does a dropper seatpost help on the gravel?  Are 50mm tires overkill?  I guess my real question is whether this bike is fun or is it really just a frankenbike?
Quote 0 0
hipsteronabike

It looks like a great bike, but in all of my gravel riding I cannot think of a time where a dropper seatpost would help.

If you want to bike pack and may occasionally hit technical trail the dropper post would be significantly more beneficial than it would be to a gravel/road rider, even in mud or loose sand.

Quote 0 0
dropfootdaddy
I considered, but at 28lbs it was just too heavy for what I was liking for.  If I had a MTB, gravel/road bike and wanted to go N+1 this would def. be i be in the running.  For the price it looks like a dam fun bike that you could do a lot of different things with.
Quote 0 0
jessen
And it's been on a crazy sale on their Corp site too. I've been on some steep shitty roads where a short throw dropper would be nice but not necessary. 28 lb is just too much though.
Quote 0 0
hipsteronabike
You guys mean 25, right? I cannot find that number anywhere and all the weights I see are close to 23 for a small or 25 for a large.
Quote 0 0
jessen
Wish there was more good info on this thing. Anyone able to find a long term review?
Quote 0 0
GOTA
jessen wrote:
And it's been on a crazy sale on their Corp site too. I've been on some steep shitty roads where a short throw dropper would be nice but not necessary. 28 lb is just too much though.

How much did they have it for through Corp?
Quote 0 0
dropfootdaddy
I was told 28lbs by Raleigh for a 58cm.
Quote 0 0
Nubster
28 pounds is a bit crazy. That's a deal killer for me. The bike looks great. I'd probably toss the dropper post though. But otherwise it's spec'ed well for me. But not at 28 pounds. Or more since I'd be on a 60cm frame according to their fit chart. But then again I'm currently on a 20 pound gravel bike so an 8 pound increase in weight just seems huge. Might not be as much as it sounds once riding...but not something I'm interested in finding out about. I could handle 22-24 pounds for the complete bike. 28+ pounds is just too much. 
Quote 0 0
Nubster
GOTA wrote:

How much did they have it for through Corp?

Assuming the corporate deal is the same as the LE discount I can get...the I can get the Stuntman for $1500.
Quote 0 0
ljsmith
Nubster wrote:
28 pounds is a bit crazy. That's a deal killer for me. The bike looks great. I'd probably toss the dropper post though. But otherwise it's spec'ed well for me. But not at 28 pounds. Or more since I'd be on a 60cm frame according to their fit chart. But then again I'm currently on a 20 pound gravel bike so an 8 pound increase in weight just seems huge. Might not be as much as it sounds once riding...but not something I'm interested in finding out about. I could handle 22-24 pounds for the complete bike. 28+ pounds is just too much. 

I've got to agree on this.  My 120mm full suspension trail bike, with dropper post, weighs 24 lbs.
A lighter build kit with carbon fork would help, but at MSRP $2499 it probably already should have a lighter build kit.   
Quote 0 0
Nubster
Exactly. $2499 isn't exactly a cheap bike. 28 pounds for a bike that price is IMO unreasonable. 
Quote 0 0
DPCX
28lbs had to have been a mis-quote. I've ridden a 56 and it was around 25 with tubes and a larger tire than spec. Its a whole lotta bike but its really fun. Rode some road, gravel, mtb single track and even some beat up horse trails. Almost ran into the ass end of black bear too. He just turned and looked back at me, and took off through the bushes. That was a first. [smile]
Quote 0 0
jessen
If I remember right the Corporate site has this thing going for $1250 or so which makes the spec a whole lot more palatable. But you'd have to sink a lot into wheels and maybe a new fork to get the weight down. May be lighter tire options available as well. But how much could you realistically trim, 2, maybe 3 pounds? Niner fork might be a good choice but of course you'd have to paint it to match...

The dropper is probably mostly on there for a gee whiz factor but I can think of a few super gnarly roads where a short throw dropper would have been welcome to help in getting your butt way back. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one on a new bike, but I wouldn't throw it away either. Maybe a good place to drop some weight but an expensive one as well.
Quote 0 0
Nubster
If I was in the market...I'd give the bike a second look at that price. But not for much more than that. Like I said...I can get it for $1500 and that's about the upper limit I think I'd spend on it. Now if they came out with a higher end steel version or carbon...that would be a winner depending on price...but at the same time...it seems that now everyone is coming out with bikes that allow for the 700c/29er/27.5 wheel and tire options so the Stuntman really isn't so special so they need to price it competitively or it will get lost in the shuffle. At the $2500-3000 price range...there's a lot of nice bikes to choose from.
Quote 0 0
S_K_I_
I just ordered one...Should be here in a week or so. I was looking for a do it all bike, hilly paved roads, dirt roads, lots of seasonal roads and the occasional rolling mtb trail. Possible bike packing in the future.
Quote 0 0
RoverAl
Weight be damned. It will be interesting to see if Raleigh keeps it in the lineup, I remember reading about it being a boutique one off model, only time will tell. 
The Stuntman is about the same weight as a touring rig which I am seriously considering for my next bike. Sutra,Marakesh or fuji and this if it had fork mounts I would consider it too.
nice looking solid bike imo.
Quote 0 0
GOTA
Nubster wrote:

Assuming the corporate deal is the same as the LE discount I can get...the I can get the Stuntman for $1500.

I just looked it up.  The corporate rate is $2,300 instead of the $2,500 msrp.  That's just way too much.  
Quote 0 0
S_K_I_
GOTA wrote:

I just looked it up.  The corporate rate is $2,300 instead of the $2,500 msrp.  That's just way too much.  

Depends who you are or who you know or what site you're using. $1499 paid.
Quote 0 0
GOTA
S_K_I_ wrote:
Depends who you are or who you know or what site you're using. $1499 paid.

That's always the case.  Good for you.  That's a great deal.  Make sure you post your thoughts when you get some miles.  I'd love to hear about it.
Quote 0 0
S_K_I_
GOTA wrote:

That's always the case.  Good for you.  That's a great deal.  Make sure you post your thoughts when you get some miles.  I'd love to hear about it.

Coming from a mnt bike is it heavy? A bit. I'll eventually change the seat/post and wheels...And then stem, crank and handle bars all will shed lots of weight. You know all the raleigh stock/branded parts.
Quote 0 0
Indykwak
Has anyone put narrower road oriented tires on the stuntman? Wondering how it works on the road with 32 - 36 tire. I'm an uber Clyde of sorts and condsidering the stuntman and tamland as potential road/gravel bikes. Since I'm 260, not sure the extra weight of the stuntman over the tamland will matter much and the ability to run almost any tire is appealing.
Quote 0 0
Nubster
Also as a heavy weight clyde, 250-255 pounds...bike weight does matter more than you think. I was on a heavy steel frame mountain bike a few years ago and while the ride was nice and plush...it was a noticeably heavy bike coming from a much lighter bike. I sold the steel frame and got a new aluminum frame and build a bike that was at least 4 pounds lighter and the difference was pretty big, for me at least. YMMV.

So for a lot of folks grams and ounces don't make a huge difference but pounds certainly can. At least to me it does. I'll take a 21 or 22 pound bike that gives me the almost same options over a 28 pound bike any day of the week. I'd take the Roker or Willard all day long over the Stuntman unless you really really want steel and/or have the desire to run 27.5 wheels and tires. But for gravel grinding, the Roker/Willard are great options. But that's just me.

Quote 0 0
NoCoGreg
Nubster - I agree completely with your assessment on pounds add up and 4 or 6 pounds is noticeable...   But I also have my heavyweight 26'er Frankenbikes for days when it's about having fun and I know it'll be a slower ride.  Nothing like the plush ride of a 2.3" tire, unless of course you're on something wider! :-)
Quote 0 0