Zurichman Show full post »
neutered10mm

zimdba wrote:
I have Shimano Tiagra 2x10 speed on the "Roker Sport."  I'll ask my buddy who has the Comp version you have what his RD# is.

So can I buy the one from 925 Engineering as a backup?  I think $10+ shipping is a bargain to have a backup in case I need one.
I'm not sure ... I'll post a follow-up when it arrives to ensure fitment as a replacement for my factory part and see how much adjustment if any I require on the RD for buttery smooth shifts. As for 32-00-542 superseded by 32-00-797 I went straight to the source and got an affirmative just now:

Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 3.47.57 PM.png 

Quote 1 0
zimdba
Thanks for checking that!
Quote 0 0
langdalek
You guys are awesome!!! Thank you for all the suggestions and helpful information. I just ordered two replacement hangers from 925engineering. I think I will bypass a warranty claim and just eat the $30 for two CNC machined derailleur hangers. I have not been able to unbox my Roker yet but will post an update when I find out what it looks like and how the 925engineering hangers function.
Kerry 
Quote 0 0
dangle
langdalek wrote:
I just ordered two replacement hangers from 925engineering. I think I will bypass a warranty claim and just eat the $30 for two CNC machined derailleur hangers. I have not been able to unbox my Roker yet but will post an update when I find out what it looks like and how the 925engineering hangers function.
Kerry 

I had never heard of 925 and assuming they fit, seem like a bargain compared to the $25 or $30 usually paid for a spare. The thing is though, even if it comes from 925 absolutely 100% perfectly CNC'd, it doesn't guarantee that your RD will be perfectly aligned with your cassette. Take your bike to the LBS and they can straighten the hanger to perfection unless it's crazy bent. Maybe you have a friend with the tool already? It's a <5 minute job, cheap and will get you on the road with perfect shifting in a hurry.

Quote 0 0
7rider
neutered10mm wrote:

Needless to say, I'd opt for the 925 Engineering unit any day of the week. It's precision machined (CNC) here in the US. Alex is shipping one my way as a thanks for sending in mine for him to model the replacement on. It should be here in a few days ... I'll snap some pictures of how it fits right out of the box. If anything, I've gotten damn good at setting up my high/low/b-limit and cable tension and this thing now shifts like a dream ... thanks to me ... not to brag, but that really should be Raleigh's job, not mine!

http://www.925engineering.com/Raleigh_c_48.html

Thanks for the legwork! I just ordered two. Raleigh sent me a replacement hanger, but it's nice to have spares.
Quote 0 0
langdalek
I'm not quite sure if this means anything...but I also picked up a Raleigh Amelia 1 for my wife the same time I picked up my Roker Comp from the FedEx office. The box with the Amelia 1 did not have a mark on it and looked in perfect condition. The box with the Roker (as seen from my pictures in a previous post) looked beat up with black marks all over it, holes on both sides, and the derailleur sticking outside the box. The Amelia 1 was packed in a wider box than the Roker and looked to be packed with much more care and thoughtfulness. I am wondering if these bikes came from different shipping facilities??? I have yet to unbox either bike because I have been sitting in a jury trial (jury duty) for the past four days. It's killing me that I have not been able to get these bikes out of the box! I will try and post pictures when I finally unveil both bikes and assess any damage.
Kerry 
Quote 0 0
Zurichman
langdalek wrote:
I'm not quite sure if this means anything...but I also picked up a Raleigh Amelia 1 for my wife the same time I picked up my Roker Comp from the FedEx office. The box with the Amelia 1 did not have a mark on it and looked in perfect condition. The box with the Roker (as seen from my pictures in a previous post) looked beat up with black marks all over it, holes on both sides, and the derailleur sticking outside the box. The Amelia 1 was packed in a wider box than the Roker and looked to be packed with much more care and thoughtfulness. I am wondering if these bikes came from different shipping facilities??? I have yet to unbox either bike because I have been sitting in a jury trial (jury duty) for the past four days. It's killing me that I have not been able to get these bikes out of the box! I will try and post pictures when I finally unveil both bikes and assess any damage.
Kerry 

Kerry from what I know all the Raleigh bikes come from a warehouse in Ohio. My Raleigh dealer confirmed that all his bikes came from the place that mine did. That is what is kind of mind boggling to me as I don't think he would put up with bent rear derailleur hangers like all of us had. The only thing I can think of is he gets 10-15 bikes at a crack and maybe Fedex or UPS handles his bike a little bit better than they do a single bike. My hangar cost somewhere between $22 - $24 from that shop. How hard are they to change out in the field with a 3 mm allen wrench?

BTW I see Leif was on this thread he was some great help at Raleigh.  

Zman
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
Quote 0 0
NoCoGreg
zimdba wrote:
I have Shimano Tiagra 2x10 speed on the "Roker Sport."  I'll ask my buddy who has the Comp version you have what his RD# is.

So can I buy the one from 925 Engineering as a backup?  I think $10+ shipping is a bargain to have a backup in case I need one.

One point of clarification...

The hanger and RD are completely independent. A properly aligned hanger will work with any RD.
Quote 0 0
dangle
NoCoGreg wrote:

One point of clarification...

The hanger and RD are completely independent. A properly aligned hanger will work with any RD.

NoCoGreg, thank you for being our voice of reason.

I'm still waiting for the post where somebody drops $75 on replacement hangers for the same bike but refuses to buy the hanger tool that will last a lifetime and retails for $75.
Quote 1 0
neutered10mm
dangle wrote:

NoCoGreg, thank you for being our voice of reason.

I'm still waiting for the post where somebody drops $75 on replacement hangers for the same bike but refuses to buy the hanger tool that will last a lifetime and retails for $75.
If you know how to properly adjust the hi/low/b-limit and tension and understand exactly how an RD actually works, you don't need a measuring device and it can be eyeballed with great results. That's not the point people are getting at though. Yes, proper alignment isn't a guarantee with a new hanger, but due to work hardening of using the tool over and over on a same bent hanger, it's only a matter of time before you will need a new one. It's an expendable part for a reason, but that doesn't mean it should arrive with off-axis screw holes and terrible machining quality. Sure, such a craptastic part can be bent to work, but spending $10+S&H for a little peace of mind when on a long unsupported overnighter is money well spent in the event of a crash that renders your factory part trashed.
Quote 1 0
NoCoGreg
neutered10mm wrote:
If you know how to properly adjust the hi/low/b-limit and tension and understand exactly how an RD actually works, you don't need a measuring device and it can be eyeballed with great results. That's not the point people are getting at though. Yes, proper alignment isn't a guarantee with a new hanger, but due to work hardening of using the tool over and over on a same bent hanger, it's only a matter of time before you will need a new one. It's an expendable part for a reason, but that doesn't mean it should arrive with off-axis screw holes and terrible machining quality. Sure, such a craptastic part can be bent to work, but spending $10+S&H for a little peace of mind when on a long unsupported overnighter is money well spent in the event of a crash that renders your factory part trashed.

Yes bending metal will work harden it but the typical hanger alignment process involves very minor bending and a good mechanic will assess the entire situation before making any adjustments.  So unless one is regularly bending the hanger I wouldn't be concerned with work hardening.  Aluminum hangers don't like to be bent, but sometimes one gets lucky and a bent hanger can be re-aligned without breaking.  I would expect this hanger to be much weaker than the original, but in normal operation the hanger is under little stress.

Many bikes with slightly bent hangers will shift ok, but often there will be a gear or two which are difficult to hit.  It has been my experience that when a bike in the shop is has a derailleur which is difficult or impossible to dial in, one of the first places to look is the derailleur hanger.  It's a quick and easy measurement.

Quote 0 0
Zurichman
No CoolGreg you guys have me worried for sure. Especially since I have only done 3 gravel rides/races. On the 3rd one I either hit a rock with a pedal(right) or there was more damage done to the bike when I did the small speed crash falling over to my right side. My bike shop that I took my bike to said for sure I hit something. The outside high front ring was bent like a pretzel at 2 spots. My question and maybe I didn't word it right was how hard is the hangar to install out in the field. I have no idea at my end which I should be taking with me on my long rides. The hangar tool or a new hangar.

Thanks
Zman
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
Quote 0 0
NoCoGreg
Zurichman wrote:
No CoolGreg you guys have me worried for sure. Especially since I have only done 3 gravel rides/races. On the 3rd one I either hit a rock with a pedal(right) or there was more damage done to the bike when I did the small speed crash falling over to my right side. My bike shop that I took my bike to said for sure I hit something. The outside high front ring was bent like a pretzel at 2 spots. My question and maybe I didn't word it right was how hard is the hangar to install out in the field. I have no idea at my end which I should be taking with me on my long rides. The hangar tool or a new hangar.

Thanks
Zman

For risk of a crash repair during a race/Fondo or long adventure tour, I would pack an extra hanger in a bag.  I am not familiar with how the Roker's hanger is attached but usually it is with 2 or 3 allen bolts.  Replacing on the side of the road would be easy: Remove wheel, remove RD, remove DH, install new DH, install RD, install wheel, ride on.  If the RD isn't shifting well I'd make adjustments to get it working as best as possible.  Worst case, with a new DH the shifting might require some tweaking to hit all the gears but the bike will be rideable. 

The hanger alignment tool is not portable - this would be a check for after the race or tour.

Quote 0 0
squak
My Roker Comp arrived with a bent hanger just like others have described (hole in the box where rear derailleur rubbed through and plastic "protector" mangled at the bottom of the box).  Disappointing, but easy enough to sort out.  I straightened the bent hanger and Raleigh sent a replacement so now I've got a spare.  If direct to consumer is going to be Raleigh's thing they need to improve shipping/packaging.

Lots of people already have a hanger alignment tool in their garage and don't know it.  A rear wheel with a threaded axle will do the job.  Diameter/thread pitch on a rear axle is the same as a derailleur bolt.  Just remove the QR and thread the spare rear wheel onto your hanger.  Then use the wheel for leverage to carefully bend/align the hanger.  Confirm the hanger is straight by using a ruler to make sure the rim on your "alignment tool" is equal distance from the rim on the bike all the way around.  Easy peasy!
Quote 0 0
Yakswak
Zurichman wrote:

Kerry from what I know all the Raleigh bikes come from a warehouse in Ohio. My Raleigh dealer confirmed that all his bikes came from the place that mine did. That is what is kind of mind boggling to me as I don't think he would put up with bent rear derailleur hangers like all of us had. The only thing I can think of is he gets 10-15 bikes at a crack and maybe Fedex or UPS handles his bike a little bit better than they do a single bike. My hangar cost somewhere between $22 - $24 from that shop. How hard are they to change out in the field with a 3 mm allen wrench?

BTW I see Leif was on this thread he was some great help at Raleigh.  

Zman

I live on the west coast and my bike came from a warehouse in California.
Quote 0 0
Zurichman
Guessing they have at least 2 warehouses then Yakswak. Then guessing everybody on the East Coast gets theirs shipped from Ohio.

Zman
Quote 0 0