Snake
Hi,
I weigh 200lbs and interested in the following wheel set:
1.) i9 hubs (disc);
2.) Pacenti SL25 rims 28/32
3.) Race spokes with brass nips

Any comments on the proposed build or other recommendations?

Thanks a million
Quote 0 0
dgaddis1
Solid.  I'd go with a lighter spokes (Lasers) up front and rear NDS to cut some weight (unless you plan to shred a lot of singletrack and want maximum stiffness), but your proposed build will work fine.

Also, instead of the SL25 I'd get the new asymmetric Forza rim that's replacing it.
Quote 0 0
RunsWithScissors

Sounds like a good combo to me.  As far as other ideas... There's lots of great stuff out there and what would be best is partly a matter of personal taste and partly a matter of budget. For whatever it's worth it's hard to go wrong with any WTB rim in my experience.  Price to value ratio on their products seems really good to me.  When it comes to hubs pretty much anything from DT, I9, Hope, Chris King, etc. is gonna be good.  Any Wheelsmith, Sapim, or DT spoke will also be a good choice.. When it comes to nipples I'm a little fussy.  I'm a big fan of Sapim Secure Lock nipples.  The company I build for uses that nipple exclusively and I agree with their judgement.  I like using them for multiple  reasons that I don't want to get into here (too long of an explanation).  About the only nipple I really recommend NOT using is DT Pro Lock Squorx.  Again, the "why" is a little involved.  If you really wanna know, hit me up and I'll tell you.

Have a great day!

Support your local wheel builder.  Run REALLY LOW tire pressures!
Quote 0 0
Snake
One amendment.  I can get a discount on a 28 hole rear hub.   Ok to use instead of 32 hole rear? Or pushing my luck
Quote 0 0
RunsWithScissors
After looking at that rim on the manufacturer's website I'd say stick with a 32.  It doesn't look like a bad rim, but looking at the weight vs the width makes me think it might be a little on the light side for your weight and application. 6061 is good, but it's not the lightest, stiffest alloy out there, so if it's both light, AND made from 6061 I'd be careful about loading it up on a low spoke count.  I don't  think it would fail you, but I think you might wind up truing on a regular basis.  If it was a good carbon rim, yeah, you could go 24 or 28 spoke and be just fine, but that's a totally different material.  (Full disclosure, I work for a carbon wheel manufacturer).
Quote 0 0
Snake
Awesome. Thanks for your input.  I can get 32/32 cx-ray spokes for the same price as race spokes.  Just as durable?  Pulling the trigger this weekend
Quote 0 0
RunsWithScissors
CX-Rays have a great reputation for strength.  Handle with care in building, though.  The flat section is really thin and easy to kink if you're not careful.  Personally, I think once you are buying DT/Wheelsmith/Sapim you're getting the best on the market regardless of what you get when it comes to higher end spokes.  Some of this stuff really IS a matter of personal taste.  If you go with CX-Rays definitely use a bladed spoke holder to prevent windup.  If you go with a really light double butted round spoke you might wanna build yourself one of these tools (see pic) out of a welding clamp, some scrap wood, and a bit of rubber gasket or innertube.  Grab the spoke just above the nipplewrench and this will completely eliminate windup.  After I built and started using this tool I quit building any other way.  It's faster in the end because you know exactly how much you're getting out of each nipple adjustment. 

It sounds like you know what you're doing and I'm sure you'll get a great wheel set with the recipe you're looking at. I'm probably preaching to the choir when saying this, but just in case, one last thing....USE A TENSIOMETER!!!!! (and have fun!)

p2pb13255590.jpg 
Quote 0 0
Snake
Thanks   Getting Stans Grails 32/32, WI hubs and CX-Ray/CX-Sprint spokes. Done!
Quote 0 0
RunsWithScissors
Now you're talking.  That'll be a sweet wheel set!  Post a pic when they're done[smile]

Quote 0 0
Mudge
I'm a big fan of the CL25.  Lighter than the SL25 AND it has eyelets.  Or, try the TL28

Quote 0 0
Snake
Thanks. Ultimately went with Easton R 90 SL rims and 32/32 CX Rays all around
Quote 0 0
babylou
RunsWithScissors wrote:
About the only nipple I really recommend NOT using is DT Pro Lock Squorx.  Again, the "why" is a little involved.  If you really wanna know, hit me up and I'll tell you.

Okay I want to know!
Quote 0 0