bcgravel
I have a gravel bike setup 1x11 with a SRAM force 1 46t up front. BB30 interface. This crank is like new, so im not looking to toss it and completely replace it. What is my best option to get a power meter that is easily compatible with zwift and my garmin 520 computer? 

Looks like the stages crank arm for 600+ bucks is my best option. 

I do not know anything about power meters, I am looking for advice.

Thanks
Quote 0 0
jlivingood
Check out ones that use the crank spider, such as SRM (http://www.srm.de/products/srm-powermeter/sram-road/) and Quarq (https://www.quarq.com/product/sram-red-axs-power-meter-spider-107bcd/), as you can then keep your crankset. This guide can also be helpful and educational:  https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/11/power-meter-buyers-2018.html
Quote 0 0
dangle
I think replacing the spider with a power meter is your best bet. I have a Power2max on two cranks and a Quarq on my Sram Force crank. They have all been great.

I wouldn't recommend the Stages because it's notoriously an underperformer, not as accurate as a dual leg, and you will have to spend the extra money on a new spindle as well which makes it not a cost effective solution.

The SRM is how you spend twice the money for something that isn't any better than a Power2max or Quarq.
Quote 0 0
jlivingood
Good point on the Power2max! I should have thought of that, seeing as how I have one of those on my CX/gravel bike (mated to a Specialized S-Works carbon crankset). Doh! ;-)
Quote 0 0
bcgravel
dangle wrote:
I think replacing the spider with a power meter is your best bet. I have a Power2max on two cranks and a Quarq on my Sram Force crank. They have all been great.

I wouldn't recommend the Stages because it's notoriously an underperformer, not as accurate as a dual leg, and you will have to spend the extra money on a new spindle as well which makes it not a cost effective solution.

The SRM is how you spend twice the money for something that isn't any better than a Power2max or Quarq.

I was just looking at the power2max site, they offer a SRAM power meter spider but it say not compatible with sram 1x cranksets......Do you run 1x or 2x with the power 2 max meters?
Quote 0 0
bcgravel
im a dumbass. i see it says its compatible with a cx1 crankset....anyways...does it easily pair with your computer? do you use any virtual trainers synced with the power2max? looks like a nice unit
Quote 0 0
dangle
They will pair/sync with any bike computer or virtual training program.
Quote 0 0
Mark_Landsaat
If you want simplicity, I would go for the stages cranks. I've had Stages cranks on my bikes for several years now and have had really good luck with them. They had a great sale last Christmas for the carbon cranks with the blue logo, I picked one up for my SRAM Force cranks.

Guy that does a little of everything at Noble Bikes

https://www.noble-bikes.com/

Quote 1 0
Richard
Ive owned a stages pm before and had no complaints.  I have read the reports on them and understand that their power is off abit compared to the other brands but to me that isn't a deal breaker.  What truly matters to me is that the power readings are consistent from ride to ride and for the time I owned it (about 1.5 years) I had no issues with thinking my power was inconsistent from ride to ride.

With that said ... do your research and make sure you have the clearance between crank and chainstays because the great tire clearance of gravel bikes means less clearance between crank and chainstay.  My stage pm wouldn't fit on my lynskey gr pro because of this reason.  I have a Pioneer L/R Ultegra 8100 pm on my road bike and the left crank arm also will not fit on my gravel bike.

With all that said x2 ... I really dont see a big use for a pm on my gravel bike during the ride.  I admit, I am fairly new to graveling but my experience thus far has shown that the terrain dictates the effort more so than me being able to really control it.  I do wish I had the data after rides so I could see what the power profile looks like to better mimic my workouts, but I think it really is just a lot of variability.  But again ... I have a lot left to learn so what I don't know yet most likely will change this view point eventually ... I just haven't got there yet.
Quote 0 0
bcgravel
After posting this, I did some research and landed on a Power2Max NG eco model. It is spider based and works with my SRAM force 1x crankset. Great pricepoint at $490 compared to others. I have a 46t x 11-42 11 speed setup. This power meter was easy to install and so far, it communicates well with my 520 garmin computer. The P2M power meter does not take up and room towards the chainstays. Im looking forward to doing monthly FTP tests and getting some data over throughout the year. 

Thanks to everyone for putting their 2 cents in on this. 
Quote 2 0
Richard
Monthly FTP test?  Ugh.  I'd say if you are doing your FTP test correctly you won't want to do 1 per month.  On that note ... doing an FTP test monthly isn't worth the hassle.  I would put a few months of solid work in using the current FTP value and then see if you gained.  Also, by the nature of gravel riding, it isn't a good sterile enough environment to do a good FTP test.  I say these things not to be an internet know-it-all, but rather to pass on experiences that I have had riding with power for 4 years.  I am a firm believer in it as a training tool to make you better as well as in endurance rides where you need to go the fastest you can without bonking or having a lot of energy left over after you finish.  Don't get caught up on the FTP number and realize there are other numbers out there just as important that need to be tended to in order to make you an overall strong cyclist.  FTP is a screenshot of your performance on that one day that is used as your baseline.  Garbage in = Garbage out ... so when you do the FTP make sure you do it in a very sterile environment so you can push for the entire period of the test.  Good luck!!!
Quote 0 0