Shaun McNally
So what kind of apps are out for smart phones to download routes and get turn by turn directions and not have to rely on cue cards. I've got Strava but that just keeps my rides. I've heard of map my ride. Can any of these let you download routes to follow? I suppose you would need to buy a subscription. I figure if I have a gps enabled smart phone it should be able to do the same thing as a garmin.
Quote 0 0
SpeedyChix
RidewithGPS has the phone app / companion to their web site. I've been using RWGPS for many years and love it. They keep adding features. Worth paying for the full annual service.
Quote 0 0
Jeb
+1 on RidewithGPS.
Quote 0 0
Gravel Junkie
+1 http://www.ridewithgps.com
Quote 0 0
moi101
I'm using Komoot for a while. You can have turn by turn audio and / or screen support. It's a pretty nice app 😉

Quote 0 0
NoCoGreg
moi101 wrote:
I'm using Komoot for a while. You can have turn by turn audio and / or screen support. It's a pretty nice app 😉

Did you notice much of an increase in power use?  I've played around a bit with Komoot and felt like it drained the battery really fast. 

Greg

Quote 0 0
Shaun McNally
Thanks for the recommendation for ride with gps. I tried it out this last weekend at a 66 mile race. I created the course on the website, downloaded it to my phone and it worked perfectly. What I did was put in headphones and just put the phone in my jersey pocket and just followed the voice cues and turned when it told me to. very slick and accurate.
Quote 0 0
moi101
NoCoGreg wrote:

Did you notice much of an increase in power use?  I've played around a bit with Komoot and felt like it drained the battery really fast. 

Greg

I used to ride MTB for 3H. If you do not use the screen, only audio Turn by turn guidance, it should take around 30-40% of your battery. With the screen On for each indication, it can take 50-70% for 3 to 4h ride.
But it's true, I've seen an increase in power use from last year, when an update of the app forbid the use of “energy economy mode” of my Samsung S7.

Damien

Quote 0 0
Frank
I use ride with GPS too and like it----once you have downloaded the route to your phone---can use airplane mode to track your course and uses almost no battery--this is similar to Trailforks for MTB  ----  of course no turn by turn if on airplane mode tho but often not needed
Frank
Quote 0 0