otbjack
What is the preferred choice for pedals?
platform vs spd?
Gravel riding with some single track thrown in.
non racing environments. Griders / Touring, etc.
Quote 0 0
67DGS
otbjack

I personally prefer spd over flats. Years ago when I rode mountain bikes I used flats for quick bailing off the bike. Now I found that I like the connection to the bike that clipless peddles give me. When I am on really rough gravel there is no worry of my feet slipping off the peddles. Spd’s take some getting used to, but for me, I don’t ride without them.
Quote 0 0
bcgravel
SPD mtb pedals on everything 
Quote 0 0
Fishman
SPD

I can mix up terrain easily but typical ride is: 50% dirt / 40% pavement / 10% 4th class and/or single track 
Quote 0 0
drwelby
It's really up to you. Do you like to be able to move your feet around? Do you prefer more of a sneaker-like shoe? Do you like to spin or mash? Do you often stop and walk around or break up your rides with food? Do you like not being tied to a specific shoe?

The bike industry has always been driven by racing and people see what the racers use and assume that's "more right". But your actual needs are probably different. While it may seem like platforms are "less serious", what makes someone serious is the pedaling, not the pedals.
Quote 1 0
otbjack
Thanks for the input to all who have commented.
I ride spd now on all my bikes and have for quite a while.
It seemed from the outside looking in, that it might provide more flexibility, safety and less critical cleat adjustments going platform. I agree the "go fast" folks are taking advantage of all the technology and technique. But as someone who just pedals for the fun of it I thought I would ask around to see what others thought. Appreciate the comments.
Quote 0 0
Cmtgravel
I agree with dr welby.  Also, on a personal note, i've never liked mtb spd's. I come from a road background, have been using clipless pedals for 30 years (mostly Look, then shimano ultegra), and i never felt really connected to bike with mtb spd's (except when falling over, when i felt VERY connected!).  I switched to crank bros pedals on gravel bike, which work better for me. But its a personal choice. I have a friend who uses flats on mtb and recently started using them on gravel, and he loves it ( and they don't stop him from riding away from me on every hill!). 
Quote 1 0
Frank
I ride adventure and touring  and non race gravel and  use flats with good shoes like 5/10's and never loose a pedal  and feel very comfortable.  Another thought,  if you every have to do a hike a bike,   you would appreciate nice shoes to climb up that rocky stretch or hill or have to walk back home if something breaks. 
Quote 1 0
TimmyR
I've ridden both and decided to switch to flats for a Summer after listening to an interview with  James Wilson.  I switched out my fat bike to Catalyst Pedals and liked it so much I then switched out my gravel bike.  I like riding in a wide toe box shoe on them.  I currently ride them with FiveTen contacts or Freeriders. I think Catalyst offers a 30-day money back guarantee still and I'd trust them to make good on it if you did not like them.
Tim

------------------
Ride on! [cool]
Quote 0 0
bikepunksondope
One thing I do that I’m surprised I don’t see more often is flat pedals with a foot retention strap such as those made by holdfast or fyxation. They’re very easy to get in and out of and can be quickly resized to accommodate any shoes and many boots. I like to wear skate shoes or five-tens but like the connected to the pedal feeling, especially climbing. It’s also a lot cheaper than SPDs and cleats and you can wear any shoes you like. 
Quote 0 0
Mark_Landsaat
Clipless pedals on everything for me as well, I can't even imagine running normal pedals other than going to the coffee shop or the bar. definitely normal pedals for going to the bar though😁

Guy that does a little of everything at Noble Bikes

https://www.noble-bikes.com/

Quote 0 0