Zurichman
Ok Gang:

I only  have experience with 2 sets of tires so far

Clement MSO xplorer 40 mm set up tubeless and with tubes

Kenda Flintridge PRO which I rode in the Pony Express ride because of the sharp flit.

I am trying to get my bike set up for the Bootlegger 100. I see they have some nasty descents on this ride.

Which of these 2 tires have more grip to them. Weight of the tire and how it rolls has no bearing here. I still don't have a lot of experience rolling on the downhills and the weather for sure isn't cooperating yet here in Pa. I am hoping to get some decent training on the Roker before the ride.

Both will be in 40 mm. I have the Clement MSO 40 mm stock on my Roker Comp right now.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Zman
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
Quote 0 0
thepointchris
Z I can vouch for the control the Gravel King SK has to offer, just get the pressure right. Experiment a little before the time to dial it in. Also, if you frame allows, consider using the GK in the 43mm, at least on the front. My fave set-up right now is GK35 on the back (they are being phased out, for the 38's) with a 43 in the front (these are replacing the older 40's). If you get the pressure a little lower in the front (easy to do since you have a smaller rear), then you get plenty of warning and control with the rear breaking away before you lose the front. 
I am a big GK fan.

Cheers and enjoy your ride!
Quote 0 0
Zurichman
thepointchris wrote:
Z I can vouch for the control the Gravel King SK has to offer, just get the pressure right. Experiment a little before the time to dial it in. Also, if you frame allows, consider using the GK in the 43mm, at least on the front. My fave set-up right now is GK35 on the back (they are being phased out, for the 38's) with a 43 in the front (these are replacing the older 40's). If you get the pressure a little lower in the front (easy to do since you have a smaller rear), then you get plenty of warning and control with the rear breaking away before you lose the front. 
I am a big GK fan.

Cheers and enjoy your ride!

Hey thepointchris Thanks for your reply and the vote of confidence in the Gravel King SK. My only question would be how do I know the sizing in the tires when I order them?

old 35(actually 38)
old 40(actually 43)

I understand that if I buy the new ratings I get what they are but if I buy old or the seller is selling the old I am guessing I am getting the wider tire than it is marked.

Thanks
Zman
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
Quote 0 0
Zurichman
bump

Was hoping somebody has ridden both tires and could give me a review.

Thanks
Zman
Quote 0 0
Zurichman
bump
Quote 0 0
fortnern
These were the first two gravel tires I used (assuming your MSO is the non-tubeless version). I would say the MSO has more grip in dirt and mud (though neither are mud tires). On gravel I don't think there's a difference (but I'm of the opinion that tread pattern makes little difference on gravel in general).

Regarding running the non-tubeless MSO tubeless, I would caution you to inspect the tire after every ride, especially if you start to hear a clicking/slapping/popping sound once a revolution: both of mine had the tread start to separate (as a "bubble", not peeling) from the casing after a couple years. I was using Stan's sealant, it's possible the tires may not do this with other sealants.
Quote 0 0
thepointchris
Z - the sizing gets funky: the 35 and 40 were consistantly running bigger , so they renamed them 38 and 43. Simple enough, you'd think.
But the 35 weighs less than the 38, and folded flat, side by side, measures smaller. So i just picked up a 35, from QBP, and now run 35 rear and 38 front.
Quote 0 0
GHC
The MSO’s will grip better on everything except pavement
Quote 0 0
Zurichman
Thanks for all the replies. I feel more confident now running the MSO's for this ride.

Zman
Quote 0 0