Howie55
I need some help on the possibility of getting a new gravel bike, I'm currently riding a Salsa Chilli Con Grosso 55, I use it for cross season, then change over some gears and use it for gravel racing,riding.
It's been a great bike but think it's a little too short in the cockpit keeping me upright a little to much,It got me thru the DK 200 last year so it's been good to me. At 5'9 I'm thinking of a Warbird, maybe Vaya, I heard the Vaya will get me stretched out. I'm open to any brand right now or throw the gears back on the Chilli and ride. My racing consist of just trying to finish these races as I'm 54 and if I buy a new bike it will be my last one and want something comfortable and will last.
Quote 0 0
drwelby
Vayas won't stretch you out compared to the Warbird - they're generally about an inch shorter in reach for a given stack height.
Quote 0 0
jamin
Why not get a carbon bike. I'm on a Ridley X trail and it rides very smooth. It smooths out all the vibrations and bumps like it has air shocks! No joke. I am around the same age and felt the same way about buying a bike to age with.
Quote 0 0
Howie55
Really have my eye on the warbird, I'll look more into it, I might have to travel to get a test ride in though.
Quote 0 0
Talabardio
What is your current top tube (effective) length? All other things being equal, just go for a frame with one a bit longer... I have a carbon warbird. It's a very nice bike although I admit I am tempted to eventually switch to a Ridley X Trail because the angles are a touch steeper and they have a snappier handling feel to them in tight corners. Also the Scott Addict CX is very light and sharp although I loathe the bright yellow accents. The main problem with the warbirds are that they are really hard to find and can't be mail ordered - kind of hard to try one out.
Quote 0 0