Indytrailbuilder
20190302_170151.jpg If anyone is going to NAHBS.  You can stop by the Shamrock Cycles booth and see my soon to be bike.  This photo was from a few weeks ago.  My understanding is that the Zipp Logos now match the frame color.  The fenders don't fit over true gravel tires.  I will eventually get a 2nd wheel set with slick tires, which the fenders will work with, but the bike will primarily be used fender-less with gravel tires.
Quote 2 0
Indytrailbuilder
Thanks for posting a video of my bike.

It took a week to make it home as it hitched a ride in the SILCA van, but the bike is now in my garage.  I had a few things to do to get it ready for the road/gravel.  Brakes reach adjusted, shimano xt pedals added, added my saddle, Seat post cut and saddle height dialed in, Maxis Revenger (front), and Rambler (rear) installed tubeless. 

Of course it rained and snowed here yesterday.  Still pretty nasty out.  Likely will not get to ride it till later in the week.

So, here is some info prior to riding.

My old gravel bike.

20190331_094727.jpg 
Early 2000's Trek Cyclocross bike.  In that era, I race on the road in the spring and mountain bike in the summer/fall.  Cyclocross wasn't quite as serious back then.  It was something road and mountain bike racers did for fun, typically with bikes cobbled together with parts from the previous race season.  This frame has been built up in a number of different configurations ranging from drop bars with road components to mtb bars and components.  It has served me well, but my wife got a Trek Checkpoint last year and we have been doing longer gravel rides.  I plan on doing some longer distance gravel racers.  62 mile Barry Roubaix in a few weeks.

The Spinergy wheels aren't tubeless and the elastomers in Rockshox suspension post have long since lost their bounce.  I was also looking forward to disc brakes.

20190331_094804.jpg  Since gearing is a hot topic, this bike ran a 48/36 up front and an 11-32 cassette.

20190331_095048.jpg New Bike is a custom Steel Shamrock Cycles (Tim O'Donnell) frame with a sweet paint job by Rocky Thomas.  Build was done by Fred Iversen.  The frame has fender mounts and was only built for 1x drive train. The Bottom Bracket is a White Industries T47.  I wanted a threaded bottom bracket and Tim likes the T47. 

The fork is a custom painted Enve G-Series.  Only issue is that we could only fit a 140cm rotor up front with SRAM brakes.  See photo below. 

The Zipp factory is here in Indianapolis, so there is a local connection to SRAM and I ride SRAM components on my mountain bikes. 

Zipp Firecrest 303's:  These wheels have wider tubeless rims (internal and external).   Light enough for climbing and aero enough for the flats.

Crank Quark Power meter: This will be my first bike with a power meter.

Gearing: 1x - Absolute Black Oval 44.  10-42 sram 1199.  This provides a bigger gear range than the 48/36 x 11-32 (2x = 114.66 to 36 inches and 1x = 123.34 to 29.43).  Gearing is certainly a personal choice, I am not picky about tight gearing steps and really like riding 1x with an oval ring on my mountain bike.

The tires are 40c Maxis.  Rambler on the rear and Ravenger on the front.  I typically ride different front and rear tires on my mountain bike.  The idea is that the rear tire impacts rolling resistance more than the front, and the front is needed more for cornering.  This set up is dialed in for a local race, The Gravel Grovel, which is mostly gravel, but includes single and double track and often has large loose gravel. 

The large volume tires, steel frame, Bontrager Arvada Elite Saddle, and Zipp SL seatpost should provide a smooth ride on rough roads. 

Not shown in the photo is a sweet Silca frame pump, custom painted.

More photos and ride report to come.
20190331_095100.jpg  44 Absolute Black Oval Ring on a Sram Quarq crankset.

20190331_095314.jpg  The Enve G-Series Fork has plenty of tire clearance. 
20190331_112458.jpg 
I would have run a 160mm rotor up front, but the hydro cable routing with the Sram/Enve combo was too tight.  I will see if the 140mm provides enough stopping power. 
Quote 1 0
Indytrailbuilder

This past weekend I was able to put the Shamrock Gravel bike to the test.

Saturday was a 59 mile ride with 5600' of climbing in Southern Indiana.  The course was almost all up and down. There were many steep +20% sections.  The route was 80% paved but also included gravel and even a dirt road/double track.

20190406_144433.jpg

Sunday's ride was in Central Indiana, in the flat lands.  The route was 80% gravel and we had 15-20 mph winds though out the ride.  The gravel ranged from hard packed to large loose stones. 

20190407_124717.jpg   

As with any custom bike, the whole point is to get a bike that fits you perfectly.  And that was the case with this bike.  This bike instantly was very comfortable.

Next comes handling. Again it performed well.  It is stable on the flats but still carves the turns and confident on the descents.standing and sitting. 

Going down the custom steel route means that I was focused more on ride / comfort vs weight.  The bike weighs in at 21.25 lbs.  The bike is very comfortable on long rides over rough roads (pot holes, wash boarded gravel roads, and big loose gravel)

Saturday's ride was a great test for the gearing selection.  With the 44 x 10-42 I was never under geared and still had a low enough gear to get up the +20% grades. 

Next test is Barry-Roubaix
Quote 1 0