HollyBoni Show full post »
Zurichman
HollyBoni wrote:

Is that serious or just making fun of my first world problems? Ã°Å¸ËœÂ

HollyBoni I though he was bs'ing too. I might not be too techy on mechanical parts on the bike but that doesn't mean I can;t Google stuff. This is at Wally World probably online ordering.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/JEGS-Performance-Products-81609-Automotive-Stethoscope-Detect-Mechanical-Sounds/984919080?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=18397&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42423897272&wl4=pla-51320962143&wl5=1025281&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=125215519&wl11=online&wl12=984919080&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKEAjwlujnBRDl2teOp_veulQSJAC5bHgtGcj5eJvShwpmufZ6EKzuxPjtnI0mpE8PFzAUGlsRRBoCSq7w_wcB

Zman
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
Quote 0 0
J.O/GravelAcademy
I’m running Sram Rival 1x with a 40T with 11x42... I also run Sram Force 1x 44T with 11x42 on road bike never had any problems, probably the smoothest set up and cleanest. Do you have proper rear derailleur length? I’m sure you do.  I’m a recreational rider but found this works for me since I’m 190lbs and climbing a lot . Not sure if this helps👍🏼👍🏼3BF2E559-C556-4716-A561-4B8B6B8738C7.jpeg  5AEC982C-35EA-4EAF-9648-F3F3F1CD6F85.jpeg 
Quote 0 0
imwjl
Hmm.... is what comes to mind.

The mostly OEM Rival 1 stuff on my 2018 Sutra Ltd. is quiet and performs like the 3 other SRAM 11 speed bikes we have, not unlike the Shimano 11 speeds we have or the 10 speed Apex/X9 bike we have.

All of the several 1x 11 and 10 speed bikes we have are a bit prone to more noise when the chain is due for replacement or when dirty and a more extreme chain line. That is with SRAM, Race Face & Wolf Tooth front rings.

Do you have a 1x compatible chain? Not all the 11 speed SRAM chains say 1x.
Quote 0 0
HollyBoni
The stethoscope thing is interesting for sure. But as far as I know, you have to touch the end to something for it to work, right? That might be a "bit" tricky with all the moving parts like the cassette and the pulleys, or am I not seeing something? 
Quote 0 0
drwelby
You can touch the probe rod to the derailleur cage adjacent to each pulley to check if one might be the source of the problem. If they sound the same but touching the dropout is noisy then maybe the interaction between the cassette and chain is suspect.

In the same spirit, rolling up a tight cone out of paper and putting the small end in your ear might help pinpoint the source of the noise.
Quote 1 0
clarksonxc
At this point it may help to get "another set of ears" on it.  If not the LBS than someone else who has a SRAM 1x or at least is familiar with bikes and drivetrains.  Maybe there is something small that's being overlooked that someone else will pick up on immediately.  It's tough to diagnose noise over the internet, even with a video there's nothing like seeing (or in this case hearing!) first hand.
Quote 0 0
HollyBoni
clarksonxc wrote:
At this point it may help to get "another set of ears" on it.  If not the LBS than someone else who has a SRAM 1x or at least is familiar with bikes and drivetrains.  Maybe there is something small that's being overlooked that someone else will pick up on immediately.  It's tough to diagnose noise over the internet, even with a video there's nothing like seeing (or in this case hearing!) first hand.

Yeah, i'd love to hop on a bike with another SRAM 1x11, but sadly I don't know anyone in the area that has one. Gravel bikes are not exactly booming here and in the area I mainly see guys on XC hardtails with 2x drivetrains. I live in a small town, at my LBS they (it's one guy, actually) mostly work on very low end bikes, and while the mechanic guy is nice, he also just started learning to work on bikes when they opened like 2 years ago. When a while ago I walked in with my bike to buy something, that was the first time he's seen a 1x11. ÃƒÆ’°Å¸â„¢â€š

At the house right now I have two other bikes. One has a Shimano 1x10, and the other one has a completely worn out SRAM X9 3x9. Both of them are quieter than my Rival 1. I worked as a mechanic for a year, i've heard a few drivetrains, but at the shop we mainly specialized in vintage bikes, so no SRAM 1x11 stuff... (A good amount of 1x5, 1x6, and 1x7s tho ÃƒÆ’°Å¸Ëœâ€ž
I know it's pretty hard to diagnose something like this over the internet, and we are talking about sound after all... To be honest i'm not sure what kind of answer I was expecting, but yeah I posted here to see if maybe I missed something dumb. So far it seems I haven't. ÃƒÆ’°Å¸Ëœâ€¢
Quote 0 0
drwelby
What about removing the rear wheel, and in its place put an old jockey wheel on a piece of rod or dowel. That would take the cassette out of the equation and since the jockey wheel is floating it should align itself.

I'd also do the "string test" to make see if maybe there's some sort of frame alignment going on.
Quote 0 0
imwjl
I keep wondering if this is about wear or poor chain line. A friend did not want to believe me and he got everything happy when he took a new Wolf Tooth direct mount chainring I happened to have that was also correct for his chain line. 

Noise just cropped up for me when I was a little slow to replace an 11 speed chain and now have noise from the AL chainring's wear, and only on the AL cassette cog where you can see the wear. That's noise that gets louder when you pedal hard.

I'm sorry to digress but it all has me a fan of the all steel cassettes and newer options for steel chainrings.
Quote 0 0
HollyBoni
drwelby wrote:
What about removing the rear wheel, and in its place put an old jockey wheel on a piece of rod or dowel. That would take the cassette out of the equation and since the jockey wheel is floating it should align itself.

I'd also do the "string test" to make see if maybe there's some sort of frame alignment going on.

Good ideas. I'll try that and i'll also try to pop my ZEE RD on there. 

imwjl wrote:
I keep wondering if this is about wear or poor chain line.

The drivetrain has been noisy since day one, and it's noisy in every gear, even when the chain is dead straight.
Have you found steel chainrings in the 38-42T range? I thought they only existed in stuff like 32T, but i'm not a 100% familiar with all the aftermarket chainring options. 🙂
Quote 0 0
JBarney
I have a 1X Force on my bike that has a noisy drive train also.  It comes and goes. My LBS made some adjustments to my bottom bracket which didn't do anything. It seems to be more way more sensitive to a chain cleaning and lube than any bike I've had ( many).
Quote 0 0