bobknh
In an earlier post , I discussed my travails trying to mount an old set of Compass Bon Jon's with ultralight casing tubeless. Here is an interview conducted by Jan Heine of Compass, with gravel bike racer Matt Surch about using Compass tires tubeless: https://janheine.wordpress.com/?utm_source=Retail+Customer+Newsletter&utm_campaign=ec662e1ce6-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_07_18&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f74fbd5ca8-ec662e1ce6-108609665&mc_cid=ec662e1ce6&mc_eid=2e5f71b642 . I was pleased that Matt shared my positive opinions of the 35 mm Bon Jon's, while acknowledging that because of rim design, supple side walls, mounting them tubeless can be challenging. In my case, I think that the combination of an old worn tire with very supple side walls, very thin sealing tape, and a rim perhaps less suited rims (these were slightly narrower Ardennes FR's, not the Ardennes +), all combined to lead to my failure. I'll probably do some more experimenting with heavier tape and a different rim to se if I can get my old Bon Jon's to seat. In the meanwhile, I've just ordered a new pair of Bon Jon's for my new custom bike and wheels that should be finished in a few weeks. As Matt says - the Bon Jon's are a true "Goldilocks" of a tire. Good for almost everything.
Quote 0 0
Jeb
bobknh wrote:
In an earlier post , I discussed my travails trying to mount an old set of Compass Bon Jon's with ultralight casing tubeless. Here is an interview conducted by Jan Heine of Compass, with gravel bike racer Matt Surch about using Compass tires tubeless: https://janheine.wordpress.com/?utm_source=Retail+Customer+Newsletter&utm_campaign=ec662e1ce6-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_07_18&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f74fbd5ca8-ec662e1ce6-108609665&mc_cid=ec662e1ce6&mc_eid=2e5f71b642 . I was pleased that Matt shared my positive opinions of the 35 mm Bon Jon's, while acknowledging that because of rim design, supple side walls, mounting them tubeless can be challenging. In my case, I think that the combination of an old worn tire with very supple side walls, very thin sealing tape, and a rim perhaps less suited rims (these were slightly narrower Ardennes FR's, not the Ardennes +), all combined to lead to my failure. I'll probably do some more experimenting with heavier tape and a different rim to se if I can get my old Bon Jon's to seat. In the meanwhile, I've just ordered a new pair of Bon Jon's for my new custom bike and wheels that should be finished in a few weeks. As Matt says - the Bon Jon's are a true "Goldilocks" of a tire. Good for almost everything.

I thought only the Ardennes Plus was rated for tubeless use.
Quote 0 0
bobknh
Jeb wrote:

I thought only the Ardennes Plus was rated for tubeless use.

I think you may be correct. That would also possibly explain my earlier problems. I do have an Ardennes + wheel set with Panaracer GK tubeless. They mounted easily. OTOH I have a wheel set with HED Tomcat's - not tubeless rated - and I had no difficulty mounting Ramblers and GK's tubeless. I guess the take away, it is always best to use tubeless rated rims.
Quote 0 0
FestiveNoodle
Had a hard time mounting brand new Bon Jons Ultra Light tubeless on Stan's Grail rim. Had to run them with tubes for a while and then few days later they managed to seal. Loved how they ride, but not the longevity or puncture resistance.
Quote 0 0
PoolBoyMatt

I have never owned them, but a few of my coworkers at the bike shop ran them. They often would install with a tube, remove only one bead to remove the tube, and then do the tubeless setup with one bead already locked in place from the tubed setup just moments ago.

Of course, YMMV.

Quote 0 0
bobknh
FestiveNoodle wrote:
Had a hard time mounting brand new Bon Jons Ultra Light tubeless on Stan's Grail rim. Had to run them with tubes for a while and then few days later they managed to seal. Loved how they ride, but not the longevity or puncture resistance.

I share your concern with tubeless installation of Ultralight Bon Jon's. But I've ridden mine over 2000 miles on mixed paved and dirt roads - in various conditions including washed out gravel, mud, potholes, freshly graded 2"-4" dirt and so on. No punctures or pinch flats with light weight Challenge latex tubes at 35-30 PSI. The sidewalls are starting to show some wear from flex fatigue, and the rear tire tread is a bit thin, but otherwise they are still going strong. Based on my experiment of one, I'd have to say that the Bon Jon's have proven very durable. Of course, I could just be lucky. Also I weigh 147 lbs, and I'm very experienced rider. I'm not sure how the Bon Jon's would hold up on DK's infamous flint roads though. For something like the DK, I'd go for something sturdier (but slower) like my Maxxis Ramblers.
Quote 0 0