gravelswede
Anyone tried the Maxxis Rambler 700 x 40 tyres that may have insight in actual width when mounted on 22 mm wheelset (Alex rims ATD470)?
I have seen reviews stating <40 mm I width and that tires settle after a while, but it may vary I suppose. Do you think they will fit the GT Grade Alloy 2015 frame...close call at the chainset perhaps? Any other suggestions from Grade users?
Anyone tried the Panaracer Comet 700x37?

Quote 0 0
Johan Ny Toci
Haven't tried those Maxxis but I am quite happy with my Specialized Trigger Pro's in 33c (actually 35 mm). They are available also in 38 c which according to someone on this side will fit nicely. These wider ones have better puncture protection and are quite naturally heavier than mine in 33c.
Quote 0 0
flynn

Just mounted mine up tubeless on Pacenti SL23 rims (24.5mm external, 20.3mm internal width). They measured out to just shy of 40mm (39.8mm to be exact). Someone on Instagram told me that theirs measured 37.5mm wide on H Plus Son Archetype rims (19mm internal width), but I haven't tried to confirm that myself.

I doubt they would fit in your frame, considering GT specs the Grade Alloy as fitting 35mm tires.

Quote 0 0
Craig
I tried Clement MSO 40 on my Grade and there was not enough clearance in my opinion. There is a GT Grade Facebook page that you could ask other users.
Quote 0 0
jonz
I have the Alex ATD470 on my Jamis and just mounted the Maxxis Rambler today.  The internal width of our rim is 17 mm btw.  The Rambler was just a hair under 38 mm
Quote 0 0
jonz
I was unsuccessful getting the Rambler mounted tubeless on these rims.  I tried using the Notubes universal valve stems and could not get the valve stems to seal.  I got the tires to seat and seal just not the valve stems. I used Gorilla tape 16 mm wide and over lapped the tape over the valve stem hole.  A couple ounces of Stan's sealant was added. First I cut an "X" in the tape for the valve stem, then cut a circular hole in the tape at the hole, then tried smoothing the valve stem hole and even ground down two sides of the rubber seal on the valve stem - nothing would seal.  Same result for both rims.  It seems I'll have to use the Stan's cyclocross rim strip with the integrated valve:

http://www.notubes.com/Cyclocross-Rim-Strip-P108.aspx

Any thoughts?  I've successfully converted 26" and 27.5" mountiain bike rims to tubeless.  I'm bummed
Quote 0 0
JamisRider
^ How did this end up working out for you?
Quote 0 0
jonz
JamisRider wrote:
^ How did this end up working out for you?

The Stan's cyclocross rim strip with integrated valve stem did the trick.
Quote 0 0