otbjack
Looking for comments from experienced riders with this wheelset.
Considering buying a pair, but have heard there are stiffness issues and not particularly comfortable.
Any experience with this wheelset?
Maybe some other suggestions for a 700c set for mostly gravel roads, some minor single track and at least 50% pavement to get to the gravel section of the rides.
I currently ride 650b X 50 for most of my riding off road.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Quote 0 0
Snowcol
I'm also considering these wheels. A custom builder I was discussing wheels with actually recommended them at the price point I am looking to spend. Said he uses them himself.
Quote 0 0
Lammark
I’ve had good luck with Mavic wheelsets in the past (some Crossmax MTB wheels and Ksyrium Elites, both quite a few years old but still going). But I have to say that at around $800+, I think there are better wheels to be had. I have the new Shimano GRX wheels (~$420) and so far they’re great, but I’ve only got maybe 300 miles on them.

I’d also look at Spinergy GX. They’re running 20% off now.

And Hunt wheels would be on my list but they’re probably hard to get given the economic shutdown.
Quote 0 0
ljsmith
Mavic's are my favorite wheels.  I have been riding Crossmax and Ksyrium wheels for years.  Mavic lost a lot of customer's because they were very slow to widen their rims and to start using carbon, so they are not anywhere near as popular as they were 10 years ago.  Many who have never used them cite their proprietary spokes as a reason not to ride them.  But for me that is precisely why I love them.  The thick aluminum spokes give the wheels stiffness that is unrivaled by any aluminum wheel with traditional steel spokes.  Those thick spokes are also close to indestructible, whereas I have broken quite a few Sapim CX rays over the years despite their claim of being the strongest steel spoke.  I do gravel touring so on multi day rides in the middle of nowhere its nice to know your spokes won't break  But I always carry a couple spares and they are very easy to replace compared to most wheels, the Mavic tire lever has a spoke tool built in so its easy to carry.  For instance I was looking at the Spinergys, but the fact that you need to carry special tools and remove the tire and rim tape to change a spoke is a deal breaker for me.  
Quote 0 0
Snowcol
The allroad spokes are listed in the spec as steel, not aluminium so they would appear to be different to other Mavic wheels?  Where do you get spokes specific to the allroad? I am concerned that there are only 24 spokes per wheel and I will be doing some remote area bike packing so carrying spokes and the tools to fit them might be an option
Quote 0 0
ljsmith
Snowcol wrote:
The allroad spokes are listed in the spec as steel, not aluminium so they would appear to be different to other Mavic wheels?  Where do you get spokes specific to the allroad? I am concerned that there are only 24 spokes per wheel and I will be doing some remote area bike packing so carrying spokes and the tools to fit them might be an option

The spokes on the Pro version of the wheels are "Zicral" which is aluminum.  I have noticed that many shops have them incorrectly as steel.  The Elite or Standard version of the wheels use steel.
 https://shop.mavic.com/en-us/allroad-pro-ust-disc-rr0929.html#1028=3283

There are many places to get Mavic spokes.  You can order them from any Mavic dealer.  I have gotten mine from the Rogue Mechanic.  They do not have any for the Allroad, but I suspect they use the same ones as the Crossmax wheels.  The spokes aren't cheap, but spending $20 on a few spokes in the big picture is not a lot of money and having some on hand is nice.  

https://www.mavicparts.com/
Quote 0 0