Lars
Is the frame geometry for this bike too short a wheelbase (991.9mm and chain stay 415mm) for gravel grinding? http://www.marinbikes.com/us/bikes/description/2016-gestalt-3
Quote 0 0
jrp8234
The chainstay length and wheelbase should be fine. I would be much more concerned about tire clearance. The bike is pictured with 30c tires on it and there doesn't appear to be much room for anything larger. If you live somewhere with dirt roads that are really smooth you'll be fine. If you live anywhere like I do(central Pa) you're gonna want larger tires. In the end it comes down to you though. I've ridden road bikes, uncomfortably, on the fire roads around me and I didn't die.

Quote 0 0
Lars
Thanks for the reply. I looked at the Specialized Crux, which won the DK200 several times, is 1012 WB and 425mm chainstay. So the geometrys seem to be all over the place. I'm used to a longer WB, but that doesn't mean I can't get used to a shorter one too.
Quote 0 0
jrp8234
I have a Crux(my third one actually) and I enjoy it. I got my road bike shortly after getting my first crux and I really enjoyed the shorter wheelbase. I'm a huge fan of short wheelbases, especially short chainstays, because they feel more agile. That being said, I've only felt out of control on my Crux when I was on really blown out roads. I think longer wheelbases and bigger tires only allow you to feel more confident when riding more aggressively(only really noticeable on descents). I'm noticeably slower on my Crux than my hardtail mountain bike, but the roads I want have braking bumps in every single corner and the doubletrack is really washed out. In the end, whatever you bike you choose will most likely be good for you if you've put any bit of thought into it.

Quote 0 0
Lars
What gears are you running on your Crux, OEM? Bicycling's review of the Gestalt 3 said it can take up to 38mm  knobbies. 
Quote 0 0