acezard
Hello everyone

First of all, the budget is not of concern.

My needs: able to walk and carry the bike, able to clip out easy (clip in easy is a bonus but not necessary), pedals/cleats must handle a moderate amount of mud, weight is a semi-concern. The shoes must also be able to be used as normal shoes, like walking in a city or going into a bar something like that, so I don't need to carry a second pair of city shoes on my bike. I think that's about it for the needs, again don't think of the price, just think of the best gear for the mentioned needs. Thanks a lot.

In a nutshell: what's the best combo for adventures rides on non-paved roads (gravel or easy trail) for hundreds of km, with also being able to use the shoes as casual shoes.
Quote 0 0
droitaubut
acezard wrote:
Hello everyone

First of all, the budget is not of concern.

My needs: able to walk and carry the bike, able to clip out easy (clip in easy is a bonus but not necessary), pedals/cleats must handle a moderate amount of mud, weight is a semi-concern. The shoes must also be able to be used as normal shoes, like walking in a city or going into a bar something like that, so I don't need to carry a second pair of city shoes on my bike. I think that's about it for the needs, again don't think of the price, just think of the best gear for the mentioned needs. Thanks a lot.

In a nutshell: what's the best combo for adventures rides on non-paved roads (gravel or easy trail) for hundreds of km, with also being able to use the shoes as casual shoes.

Just to give a simple answer. Look for comfort. So that means in shoes, they fit your feet, and don't discount the option of a bike-fitter fitting insoles in your shoe. Then also let the bikefitter set up your cleats, this will most likely make the biggest difference. In terms of shoes, the fit has to be good (Lake shoes has 4/5 different fits in each size,so that may be an option to try out various of their models). And of course don't choose the stiffest soles if you want comfort, also on those moments you are off the bike and still wearing those shoes. So carbon soles yes, stiffest carbon soles no. In terms of pedals your knees and ankles likely don't enjoy being tightly locked over such long time, and would want to move a bit freely at least. So look for pedals with at least 6D of float. I think Look x-track race is a good options, or even the en-rage option if you use flat shoes. They have a slightly bigger platform compared to most systems which would support your feet. 
Quote 1 0
Slim
Luckily for you, there are now many skate style clipless shoes available, that look and feel much more like casual shoes for walking around streets. Shimano also has some leather, almost hiking boot style. There have been others that are more like running shoes too.
even clipless sandals!

Many mtb magazines have run reviews, have a look there, just be awaremodels frequently change, so last years review might not cover this years.

Personally I would stay away from stiff carbon shoes. If you need support on the bike, you can always use a pedal with a larger platform to provide that.
Quote 0 0
hipsteronabike
Great bike shoes are very stiff, and great walking shoes are very soft.

I like my exceptionally stiff Specialized Recon shoes and I carry crocs on the outside of my bag when bikepacking and they work great. Could you find a casual and packable shoe that works for you?
Quote 0 0
chas
Shimano and Perl Izumi have a lot 

I use the Shimano MT5 for commuting and city riding.  Here is REI's seletion:
https://www.rei.com/b/shimano/c/mountain-bike-shoes?pagesize=90&ir=brand%3Ashimano%3Bcategory%3Acycling-shoes&r=category%3Acycling-shoes%7Cmountain-bike-shoes%3Bb&sort=sc_revenue

That said, BOA dials are very very nice to dial in strap tension.  Here is a Fizik:
https://www.fizik.com/us_en/terra-x5.html
Quote 0 0
Eurobiker
IMO, you should look into flat pedals. Lots of great shoes available. Once you get used to not pulling up, you'll pedal almost as efficiently as clipless . I'm currently recovering from a bad injury and have been using flat pedals and 510 shoes. I'll never clip in again on gravel or mountain. Road? I'll still use clipless. 
Quote 1 0
Lefty52
I  agree with going with flat pedals, I've been using Xspedo flats for a year now and love them, but there are many choices out there. As for shoes, I love the 5Ten approach shoes. They're made for rock climbing, so they have more flexibility than a typical MTB shoe, with same grippy bottoms as an MTB shoe. An added benefit, they're light and wash easy. Here's a link to a review on bikepacking.com:  https://bikepacking.com/gear/bike-touring-shoes-pedals-7500-km-review/.  The bad news is they don't make that particular model anymore, but there are other options.

Quote 0 0