cmcalpin
Just wondering this. I had a bag custom made for my all purpose bike that I bike pack on and gravel grind on as well. I don't gravel race. I just ride for fun. I like to leave my frame bag on full time as it is super handy to store my water bottle and other stuff like clothes layers etc. But it seems like I ride into headwinds a lot that hit me at an angle (north into a NE or NW headwind for example). This leads me to think that having my triangle filled with a bag can really affect my wind resistance in these situations. Do any of you guys leave your frame bags on full time or do you only install them when your bikepacking or taking a trip? 31100469_191400791659350_5225941443553525760_n.jpg  roadside.jpg 
SWIGG Official Website

SWIGG Official Facebook Page

Quote 0 0
RoverAl
Like you I ride for fun and use a large Revelate top tube bag for long rides where I need more gear. After awhile of not using most of what I packed for shorter rides I purchased a Smaller Lone Peak bag which holds essentials and a skosh more. When I want to stop and make some tea, bring layers more stuff I will bring the Topeak backloader which is a seat / post mounted bag. And very well made and a good value. So to answer your question yes I take off my bulky stuff for shorter rides and I think it will make some difference with the wind factor. For me it has taken a long time but I have worked out almost exactly what I need for a ride.
Quote 0 0
OTHRider
For two years I rode with a "gas tank" bag on at all times to carry odds and ends.  The only thing I didn't like was that I was unable to find a way to secure it.  Every ride it would flop over.  I gave myself a Rogue Panda Half Framebag for Christmas to replace the gas tank.  It is so secure that I don't even know it's there.  I leave it on all the time.  I find myself keeping one side completely empty to be store trash I find during my relaxing Sunday rides.  So far wind has been a non-issue.
Quote 0 0
cmcalpin
I also run a gas tank bag on top in addition to my frame bag. I like having all kinds of storage area to shed layers or pull out a raincoat if it gets rainy and stuff like that. But I got admit sometimes I look at it and think what a clunky set up LOL. It just makes me wonder if on the longer rides when I’m getting fatigued that having more aerodynamics in these Spring winds wouldn’t be easier on my legs. No matter what I would have a gas tank bag on. And if I don’t have my full frame bag I would have a seat bag hanging under my seat. With the frame bag though I don’t run a rear seat bag.
Quote 0 0
drwelby
What about running a RJF J&J handlebar bag instead of the frame pack?
Quote 0 0
cjdaking
I'd take it off. Dirt and grit get in there, so the less you have it on, the longer the finish on your frame will last.
Quote 0 0
GHC
It's a personal pref thing, the right answer is what you choose.

Yes, it's catching some wind.

If it were me, I'd have it off when I wasn't using it and ride with bottle cages.
Quote 0 0
cmcalpin
cjdaking wrote:
I'd take it off. Dirt and grit get in there, so the less you have it on, the longer the finish on your frame will last.

That’s an excellent point.
Quote 0 0
AlanEsh
You have a rack on there, just put on a trunk bag and take off the frame bag; much less cross section for catching the wind.
Quote 0 0
cmcalpin
AlanEsh wrote:
You have a rack on there, just put on a trunk bag and take off the frame bag; much less cross section for catching the wind.

Here is my setup for a grind tomorrow. I actually had the rear rack removed. But the weather in the morning is supposed to be around 40° and then get up to 60. So I know I’m going to want to shed some layers at least on my upper body. That is where my frame bag came in handy. I was trying to think of where I would put my under armor base layers when I got too hot and I figured if I put my rack back on I could put them inside a stuff sack and strap my shed layers to my rack. My tank bag holds basic items like ibuprofen, antacids, and an energy gel. The bag behind my Jones bars is full of a homemade trail mix and several fruit granola bar’s in the side pocket. It is a bag I got off Amazon for $10 for holding my 32 ounce growler plus some instant coffee packets and battery packs and other stuff. But I figured it would make one hell of a good feed bag LOL. And the seat bag has all my repair tools like multi tool, spare innertube, tire levers and stuff like that.
Quote 0 0
GHC
Lol...ignore my previous post, leave the bag on, it’s perfect (thumbs up)
Quote 0 0
cmcalpin
GHC wrote:
Lol...ignore my previous post, leave the bag on, it’s perfect (thumbs up)

Lol does it look ugly or why did you change your mind
Quote 0 0
GHC
The right answer is what you choose lol, and with that chosen stash of goodies, the bag seems to dove tail well. Ever considered a pull trailer (humor not offense intended)
Quote 0 0
cmcalpin
GHC wrote:
The right answer is what you choose lol, and with that chosen stash of goodies, the bag seems to dove tail well. Ever considered a pull trailer (humor not offense intended)

I got friends that use them. They are awesome. Got a friend who rides a surly big dummy. Awesome rig
Quote 0 0
chunkyhugo
I pack appropriately for whatever I'm riding and try not to take "everything but the kitchen sink". I'm certainly not one of those guys we see with nothing more than a spare tube, levers and mini pump in their back pockets, but ask yourself before every ride "are there non-essential items I could leave at home and pack lighter", therefore avoiding the crosswind hazard of the triangle pack. Explore alternative packing options.
Quote 0 0
cmcalpin
My biggest issue lately has become nutrition. In the past I have been NOTORIOUS for not eating or drinking enough water (and depending on the ride maybe drinking too much beer lol) and then bonking really bad. I have recently started to take charge and I realize that i need to eat some carbs every half hour or so and drink a good electrolite fluid. But I also know from past experiences that energy gels bloat me up, give me gas and diarrhea so I prefer to stay away from that crap. I have always had a super high metabolism so that's probably why. So now part of my storage concern is food like PB&J, trail mix, granola bars etc. The last few times I have tried energy gels either loaned to me or free trials, the results have not been so good.
Quote 0 0
GHC
Nutrition mix is key, and depends somewhat on the individual. If doing long rides, I tell my pals to preload hydro starting at least an hr before ride with mix you will be riding with (I use Skratch lime or Osmo berry)...and most importantly....ride with HR monitor stay OFF your rev limiter/85% of max first half of ride, and consume some calories evenly throughout (very hard to play catch up) on long grueling rides. Better to have energy in reserve to bust it the last 20 of ride, than bonk or finish feeling terrible.

I know you said said some bother you stomach, but try some GU gella or 3x salted cliff chews (I like the margarita’s.)....avoid the caffeine.

Quote 0 0
cmcalpin
GHC wrote:
Nutrition mix is key, and depends somewhat on the individual. If doing long rides, I tell my pals to preload hydro starting at least an hr before ride with mix you will be riding with (I use Skratch lime or Osmo berry)...and most importantly....ride with HR monitor stay OFF your rev limiter/85% of max first half of ride, and consume some calories evenly throughout (very hard to play catch up) on long grueling rides. Better to have energy in reserve to bust it the last 20 of ride, than bonk or finish feeling terrible.

I know you said said some bother you stomach, but try some GU gella or 3x salted cliff chews (I like the margarita’s.)....avoid the caffeine.

I will check into those thanks. Does anybody here just make homemade trail mix out of mixed nuts raisins and granola and then put it in like a feed bag?
Quote 0 0
david_ve

mine is a half frame back, is on most of the time.

[welded-frame-bag-large] 

use it most of the time to ride long rides 200km unsupported (BRM)

this year i'll try to hit 300 maybe 400km.

to limit scratching i did put on helicopter tape.

Quote 0 0