csacwp
I've narrowed my choice down to either the True Grit Weekend Warrior or a Fairlight Sevan (maybe a Rival 1x build with 650b's). I don't race... I ride long distance on and off road and commute. Nothing too extreme. I'm looking for a bike that will last me a lifetime and that's a joy to ride. I tried out a True Grit and it was awesome, though maybe a little competitive in posture. Can't try out a Secan but have heard great things.
Quote 0 0
Involuntarysoul
i would get true grit just for the FD bottle opener 
Quote 0 0
garciawork
I would go Fairlight, no question, being a steel fan. Add in something like the Chumba Terlingua... and the decision becomes harder. 
Quote 0 0
csacwp
I hadmth looked at the Chumba... Looks like a sweet bike.  How do you think it compares to the Fairlight?
Quote 0 0
bnystrom
This is truly an "apples to oranges" comparison (or should I say "chalk to cheese" on this forum?). On one hand, you have a cutting-edge carbon bike with a suspension fork and on the other, a rigid, old-school steel bike. They're also at very different price points.

If you're really looking for a "lifetime" bike and you're willing to spend the money for the Lauf, buy a titanium bike. It will never rust, fatigue, crack or wear out and it provides a great ride feel. There are numerous companies making them, so you should have no trouble finding one to suit your needs and budget.

There's someone selling a Lynsky Pro GR frameset on this forum in the following thread:
http://ridinggravel.com/forum/?p=post%2Flynskey-pro-gr-m-frame-10105273
If it fits you, it looks like a great deal.
Quote 0 0
Involuntarysoul
bnystrom wrote:
This is truly an "apples to oranges" comparison (or should I say "chalk to cheese" on this forum?). On one hand, you have a cutting-edge carbon bike with a suspension fork and on the other, a rigid, old-school steel bike. They're also at very different price points.

If you're really looking for a "lifetime" bike and you're willing to spend the money for the Lauf, buy a titanium bike. It will never rust, fatigue, crack or wear out and it provides a great ride feel. There are numerous companies making them, so you should have no trouble finding one to suit your needs and budget.

There's someone selling a Lynsky Pro GR frameset on this forum in the following thread:
http://ridinggravel.com/forum/?p=post%2Flynskey-pro-gr-m-frame-10105273
If it fits you, it looks like a great deal.

For titanium frame I would go with Moots, those Lynskey are boat anchors, pretty much the same weight as a steel frame
Quote 0 0
csacwp
I looked into the Chumba and it would cost $1500 more for a comparable build to the Secan even though it uses Columbus Zona steel while the Secan uses Reynolds 853.
Quote 0 0
csacwp
Just paid my deposit for a flint grey 58T Secan. Got the last one slated for August delivery. Thanks for the help!
Quote 0 0
owly
csacwp wrote:
Just paid my deposit for a flint grey 58T Secan. Got the last one slated for August delivery. Thanks for the help!

A no-brainer in my mind vs the Chumba price.  

Long wait but well worth it I think. 

Don't forget the build pics.
Quote 0 0
csacwp
owly wrote:

A no-brainer in my mind vs the Chumba price.  

Long wait but well worth it I think. 

Don't forget the build pics.

Especially a no-brainer since I don't have to pay the 20% VAT. 

I'm still working out the details... I want a bike that's equally at home on the road and off. I want to preserve some climbing ability but like the simplicity of a 1x system, so I am thinking Sram Rival 1 with a 10-42 cassette. I dontd need Force... My understanding is that it works the same as Rival but is a bit lighter. I don't race and the weight is inconsequential. That said, a small part of me wants to go with Shimano Ultegra for the versatility and break maintainence ImI thinking 650b for the wheels (undecided on which ones). Definitely going with Hope headset and seat clamp in matching purple for the look.
Quote 0 0
Zurichman
I have a heavy Tamland with the Shimano 2x(love it). I also have a lighter Roker with the Rival 1x. I am not a fan of it. In the lower gears if you are by yourself no problems. If you are riding in a group or at least for me I am shifting a lot of gears to ride with the group. It has too big of jumps between the lower gears.

Zman
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
Quote 0 0
owly
csacwp wrote:

I'm thinking 650b for the wheels (undecided on which ones).

Have you been on a 650b (48-2.0) to get a feel for whether the rolling diameter is ok at your height?
Quote 0 0