sooshi
Does anyone have any input on the Lauf Grit for a gravel setup?  I have a Breadwinner B-Road currently setup with an Enve cross fork.  Was thinking of switching it out for the Lauf to take a bit of the bite out of gravel and rough roads, as I'm getting older and my body doesn't enjoy it.  I've ridden a Lauf on a buddies MTB setup and was torn on the ride quality for the much rougher, singletrack trails but wondered how it would work on the other stuff.  Appreciate any advice you can give.   
Quote 0 0
moe53
Gravel Cyclist did a review...http://www.gravelcyclist.com/bicycle-tech/review-lauf-grit-fork-does-it-take-the-edge-off-the-rough-stuff/
Enlightenment begins where the pavement ends. [idea]
Quote 0 0
BrownDog
I have one and I can tell you that there are some things I really like about it and some I do not. I used it out at the DK training camp and can tell you that it was make for an area like the flint hills. It will be on my bike for the DK. In my local area , lots of pavement to connect gravel roads, it has some traits I do not like. One thing I do not like is the side to side movement you can see in the ft wheel. Has not caused a riding problem but it makes me grab the brakes every time I see it. That said I think the benefits out weigh the negatives. After the DK I am going to pull it off of my bike but will keep it for events like the DK or other long gravel races.
Quote 1 0
DerekJ_MI
I was also out in KA for the DK training.  Since we were there for the training the host bike shop, who sells the Lauf forks, was offering them to us for 35% off regular price.  After talking to many of the past riders (and winners) who have that fork and love it and with the cost reduction I couldn't resist the offer.  So I bought one and they put it on my bike Friday before we did the half pint 101 mile Saturday ride.  It does what it's advertised to do and makes a very noticeable difference!  I put this fork on my Lynskey GR250 and the combination rocks. That said, I will likely also put the Lynskey fork back on the bike after DK too because most of my riding is on hard gravel and/or pavement and while the fork is wonderful for the grit of DK it's not needed for the smoother stuff. 
Quote 0 0
BrownDog
I did the Bootlegger 100 yesterday. This event is in the Pisgah Forest in western NC. 10000+ feet of climbing. That also means miles of gravel down hills at 30+ miles an hour. The Grit was unbelievable! It will be on my bike at every gravel event!
Quote 0 0
Marinerecon
Anyone put a Lauf on a Cutthroat? My wife wants to put one on hers. Much maintenance?
Quote 0 0
BrownDog
Jim Cummings and Lelan Dains from DK promotions have a grit on there cutthroat's. Ia m sure they both would be glad to talk to you about the fork.
Quote 0 0
sooshi
Thanks for all of the input.  May pick one up if I come across a good deal.  
Quote 0 0
JGamm
Marinerecon wrote:
Anyone put a Lauf on a Cutthroat? My wife wants to put one on hers. Much maintenance?

If I remember right the Cutthroat has a longer fork so you can run a normal 80-100mm suspension fork on it, think mountain bike. If you were to add a Lauf I would think you would have to run the mountain version 60mm travel rather than the 30mm travel Lauf Grit to keep your geometry right.

Zero maintenance on the Lauf forks.
Quote 0 0
OTHRider
I've had mine since last August and I'm 100% sold on it.  Except for pedaling to trailheads, I seldom ride on smooth roads.  Most of my trails are 99% filled with mountain bikes. I was getting beat up, my old body wasn't recovering very well and the scariest part was having my bars ripped from my hands on rougher descents.  The Grit eliminated almost all the "buzz" and seriously reduced the chatter in the washboards and rougher stuff.  I'm riding way more and my hands/arms/shoulders soreness is a thing of the past.
Quote 0 0
Zurichman
What kind of price are we talking here and how hard is it to install versus take off when you want to swap it back and fork?

Thanks
Zman 
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
Quote 0 0
Jim C
The Lauf "Grit" is the model of fork you will need for a gravel or cross bike.  (ie. Salsa Warbird.)  This is how I have my Warbird setup and LOVE it!!!  As far as any "side-to-side" flex...  if I stand up and mash hard and purposely sway my bike side-to-side, I can visually see some lateral flex.  But I can't actually feel it.  Keep your focus ahead where it should be and you will be happy.  I even ride the Grit on road rides.  Not necessary for such... but not worth the hassle to remove it.

The Salsa Cutthroat is a drop-bar mountain bike.  The frame is designed to accept a mountain suspension fork.  So the Lauf model you would need for this application is the Trail Racer.  At 60mm, it has twice the travel as the Grit.  And it is sprung slightly softer... because it is designed for trail use, not for gravel use.  If I have anything against the TR, it is I wish it was sprung slightly stiffer.  But that's on me.  I'm using it for something it wasn't necessarily designed to do.  That said, the Trail Racer shines on gravel.  In fact, my Warbird hangs in the garage most days, because I usually opt for the Cutthroat / Trail Racer for most gravel rides.  This is what I chose to take with me last weekend to Dirty Reiver in England.  I got passed all day long on the climbs. (Because I'm fat and old.)  But never once got passed on a descent.  The geometry of the Cutthroat and the plushness of the Lauf Trail Racer made for an unbeatable combination on the long rough and choppy downhills.

DK has partnered with Lauf to form the "Lauf Dirty Dozen at Dirty Kanza".  Twelve folks we hand-selected to share about their experiences with the Lauf fork as they prepare for, and participate in Dirty Kanza.  You can read what they have to say here...  http://laufforks.com/

Then click on "Just Ride" and scroll down the page.

Good luck.
Quote 1 0
BrownDog
Dan Hughes won Trans Iowa today with a Lauf Grit on his bike!
Quote 0 0
Zurichman
Wow I just read all 12 dirty dozen reports of the Lauf fork not one negative comment on it.

Zman
If it was easy it wouldn't be a memory. You just hope you don't have all your memories in the same ride. been there dun that Zman
Quote 0 0
DerekJ_MI
These forks are game changes folks.. Just buy one! 
Quote 0 0
Zurichman
DerekJ_MI wrote:
These forks are game changes folks.. Just buy one! 

If I did it would cost more than my Raleigh Tamland 1 cost me $799 + $48 tax. Since I am the newbie here I have to get my get my feet first to see if I really like the sport. If I do who knows maybe I might spring for a Salsa Warbird.  [biggrin]
Quote 0 0