nstelemark Show full post »
markopic
adamkurn wrote:
So the 2019 Rove LTD is on the Kona site ... not sure of the colour ... looks black or dark plum? Has anyone seen it yet?
Also ... how is the mud clearance with 29/700 wheels?

How does the 2019 model compare to 2018? I have seen that it now has Formula hubs instead of Sram 900, and different kind of Wtb rims. Also, it is stated that it has Horizon tires, but the bike is pictured with Byways.

I have 2018 model and I like it very much, I was thinking of adding another one and setting it up as more dirt focused (Byways or some Schwalbe MTB tires), but I think the wheels are not as good as 2018 model, so I am considering buying a frame and building it myself.
Quote 0 0
nstelemark
adamkurn wrote:
So the 2019 Rove LTD is on the Kona site ... not sure of the colour ... looks black or dark plum? Has anyone seen it yet?
Also ... how is the mud clearance with 29/700 wheels?

I threw one of my wife's Mavic ksyrium pro discs on the front of the Rove Ltd.  These tires measure 37 wide on this rim (nominal 33?!). The fork is the same as the Jake's, if that helps.

IMG_0506.jpg 
Quote 0 0
nstelemark
On the ferry in southern Germany

IMG_0479.jpg
Quote 0 0
nstelemark
Update:

I've made a few changes to the build.  The SLK crank is gone and an Easton EC90SL takes its place, primarily to get better off road gearing (46/30 compared to the earlier 46/36).  I've also updated the wheelset to the the DTSwiss XMC1200-30 wheels.  These are a bit lighter, a bit wider and I am running the new TLS Gravel King which is basically a tubeless compatible PariMoto.

IMG_0804.jpg 
Quote 0 0
clarksonxc
nstelemark wrote:
Update:

I've made a few changes to the build.  The SLK crank is gone and an Easton EC90SL takes its place, primarily to get better off road gearing (46/30 compared to the earlier 46/36).  I've also updated the wheelset to the the DTSwiss XMC1200-30 wheels.  These are a bit lighter, a bit wider and I am running the new TLS Gravel King which is basically a tubeless compatible PariMoto.

IMG_0804.jpg 

Nice!  Where did you purchase those wheels?
Quote 0 0
nstelemark
clarksonxc wrote:

Nice!  Where did you purchase those wheels?

EBay!   There have been a few sets that came along. 
Quote 1 0
Rileytillman
Here is another Rove LTD with some fun changes from last year. I have put on a Redshift Stem and a Brooks seat since - but this is the core.IMG_1299.jpg 
Quote 2 0
nstelemark
Nice!  I like the Roval wheels.  I looked at those but were too $$$ for my tastes (ducking after having bought the Easton crank ;-) )
Quote 0 0
biglmbass
Loving the light blue color of this bike.  Found this forum and this thread via searching for Kona Rove & Sutra LTD models.  I'm thinking I want to try a steel gravel bike next.  Found a few of this model still available for sale, but only in the larger frame sizes.'

I notice this one is a size 52.  How tall are you?
Quote 0 0
nstelemark

biglmbass wrote:
Loving the light blue color of this bike.  Found this forum and this thread via searching for Kona Rove & Sutra LTD models.  I'm thinking I want to try a steel gravel bike next.  Found a few of this model still available for sale, but only in the larger frame sizes.'

I notice this one is a size 52.  How tall are you?

The sizing on these runs big. I would usually ride a 54 in a road frame like a specialized Tarmac for example.  I’m 5’9”.

Quote 0 0
biglmbass
I'm the same height with approx 30" inseam.  Sadly I can't find any leftover 52s for sale...    
Quote 0 0
nstelemark
biglmbass wrote:
I'm the same height with approx 30" inseam.  Sadly I can't find any leftover 52s for sale...    

Here ya go - https://rideonlineca.konaworld.com/frames/road-gravel/2019-rove-ltd-frame.html   

the dark burgundy is pretty sweet too. 
Quote 0 0
biglmbass
Your link didn't work for me, but I found my way to the US site.  Oddly the blue 2018 Rove LTD isn't available in the US in any size (from their site).  Can't say the 2019 color of the same bike does anything for me.  I do have a line on a 2019 Sutra LTD in the metal flake blue color (super nice IMO).  Not sure how similar it is to the Rove.
Quote 0 0
nstelemark
https://bikepacking.com/bikes/kona-sutra-ltd-review/

the sutra is more of an mtb and the rove Ltd is an all road bike. I would not want to ride the sutra on a fast club ride but the rove Ltd works great. Horses for courses and all that.

if I could find a 2018 sutra Ltd in 52 I’d be all over it as a complement to the rove Ltd.
Quote 1 0
biglmbass

Quote 0 0
nstelemark
Latest small updates IMG_0476 (1).jpg

New carbon saddle just 'cause I could not pass it up. I also replaced the FSA BB with a Wheels Manufacturing BB which has a much better spacing and it allowed me to run my carbon PM on the non drive side.
Quote 1 0
Peruvian

Here is another Rove LTD with some fun changes from last year. I have put on a Redshift Stem and a Brooks seat since - but this is the core.IMG_1299.jpg 

I dig that brown bar tape.  Is that Kona branded or something else?

It would look great on my orange 2017 Sutra LTD.

Quote 0 0
Diesel60
I have a 2019 Rove LTD.  They call it Deep Red.  What it is, a dark red
'METALLIC FLAKE', burgundy issh. Color. It is very pretty in the sun light!
Quote 0 0