jdo
Hello. I’m new to this forum and am hoping to get some advice.  I want to get a Jamis renegade as an all purpose bike - gravel, bike packing, commuting.  There’s a 2017 renegade exploit, 631 steel, and 105 components for 1100.  The frame has some scratches but no damage and the chain rings and cassette still look in good condition.  New it was $2100.  I’m wondering if this is a good deal, or if I should spend the $1200 for a new Jamis expat with tiagra or Sora components and 520 steel, or maybe even $1500 for the Jamis renegade with the lower end grx components and 520 steel. Thanks I’m advance for answering my questions.
Quote 0 0
zen_
Unless you can haggle the price down to around $800, maybe $900, and feel comfortable with DIY upgrades, get the new Renegade S3 with the GRX groupset. Don't consider 631 vs 520 steel as a factor. I have 631 steel bike and it's awesome, but I also loved the Jamis 520 bike I took on a long test ride. The newer bike has a much, much better drivetrain though for the type of riding you want to do.
Quote 0 0
jdo
Thanks thanks for your response, Zen.  So is the used renegade at $1100 a bad deal? Even if I felt fine leaving the 105 drive train on and not having immediate upgrades?
Quote 0 0
zen_
Without seeing it, I would say it's a fair deal, not a great deal depending on condition.

Also worth pointing out that the used Exploit uses the weird non-series hydraulic shifters (not universally loved) that Shimano had until the hydraulic 105 levers came out.
Quote 0 0
emidyl
if you can swing it, get the GRX version, I think its the escapade
Quote 0 0