bikermike
I'm looking at a set of Mavic ksyrium (used) all roads with a 19 mm internal rim width. I like to run 40 to 44mm tires but at times i drop down to a 35mm (currently running compass snoqualmie 44s). Will 44mm tires be too wide for a 19mm ID rim? I also always run tubeless. Anyone have any input on this tire rim width subject or good or bad to say for the ksyrium wheels?
Quote 0 0
jonz
My Jamis Renegade came with 19mm internal width rims.  I'm running 40mm Maxxis Ramblers.  I weigh 185 lbs.  I tried going down to to 30 front and 35 rear.  That was too low as the bike kind of wallowed.  I'm currently using 34f/40-42r and that is acceptable.  I've been pricing wider wheelsets (21-23mm ID) and when the right deal comes along, I'll buy.  I also had trouble mounting the tire tubeless with the regular Stan's valve stems.  I had to use the Stan's rim strips with integral valve stems though I don't know if that would be true for all 19mm ID rims.
Quote 0 0
tacobellbiker
Per ETRTO standards a 19mm internal rim can be used with 28mm to 62mm (2.4") tires safely.

Practically speaking, it's probably just ever so slightly narrower than ideal for 44m, but should work just fine. With a wider rim you'll be able to run slightly lower tire pressures without tire squirm, but it's not going to be a big difference.
Quote 0 0
Rainysunny
Anyone run 18mm internal rims with wide 40mm tires tubeless or tubed?
Quote 0 0
OffB10Path
I agree with tacobellbiker...a slightly wider rim might yield a more optimal tire volume with 44mm, but I wouldn't consider them "too wide" for 19mm by any stretch.

FWIW, I'm running 2.25 29er tires on 19mm internal Mavic Crossmax wheels (which I bet are virtually the same wheel as the Ksyrium Allroads) set up tubeless.  This narrows the tire width to 2" at the knobs but provides a nice rounded profile, which I like.  I'm 145 lbs and run them at ~20psi with no issues.

Quote 0 0
OffB10Path
Doh, just realized this thread is 9 months old.  [smile]
Quote 0 0