gwertheim
Anyone have any experience with the ICAN frames, form what I've read they seem reliable.

https://icancycling.com/collections/cyclocross-frameset

Anyone have any experience with this company and their products? 
Quote 0 0
chadrandom
Thanks for starting this thread.  I'll be very interested to follow along and learn more about ICAN.
Quote 0 0
Wrathbringer27
I'm new here and just need to know this info as well! I'm looking at the X-Gravel frame. I cane over from the Carbonda thread. I wanna know if there is a lot of difference between the model from these 2 companies. As far as I know, ICAN has a local USA rep/warehouse as well.

I'm from Singapore but that doesn't matter as I'm planning to get from Ali. So far, they've been answering all my questions I've asked them via the app. 
Quote 0 0
Alex_C
I purchased the X-Gravel in June of this year. The frame arrived in about a week after I paid, matte black, stock. The build quality is very good. No frayed carbon fibers inside the tubes. The bottom bracket was straight, no drama there. Cable routing was fairly easy. The bike handles sprint power well, no noticeable flex @900w (a few seconds is all I got at that power). I have a little under 500miles on the frame. I'm on my second iteration of the bike, upgraded wheelset, upgraded to hydro and put fatter 43mm tires on. I'm very happy with it and would recommend ICAN. I have 2 ICAN wheelsets, with well over 5000 miles on them. They have been excellent.
Quote 2 0
Alex_C
I'm looking at the X-Gravel frame. I cane over from the Carbonda thread. I wanna know if there is a lot of difference between the model from these 2 companies. As far as I know, ICAN has a local USA rep/warehouse as well.

These frames are 'open mold'. The 696 and the X-Gravel are the same, the differences are the way they are constructed. Carbonda seems to have many happy customers, so I assume they do a good job with their carbon layup. ICAN seems to have very good quality control, I also assume they do a good job on the layup and they weigh a bit less than the Carbonda equivalents. There are other companies that use 'open mold' but I can't say will whether or not the frames are constructed properly. 
Quote 0 0
Wrathbringer27
Alex_C wrote:
I purchased the X-Gravel in June of this year. The frame arrived in about a week after I paid, matte black, stock. The build quality is very good. No frayed carbon fibers inside the tubes. The bottom bracket was straight, no drama there. Cable routing was fairly easy. The bike handles sprint power well, no noticeable flex @900w (a few seconds is all I got at that power). I have a little under 500miles on the frame. I'm on my second iteration of the bike, upgraded wheelset, upgraded to hydro and put fatter 43mm tires on. I'm very happy with it and would recommend ICAN. I have 2 ICAN wheelsets, with well over 5000 miles on them. They have been excellent.

That sounds promising. What do you reckon the largest tire is that's going to be able to fit on a 700c wheel? I'm planning for 2 wheelset instead of 2 bikes ha
Quote 0 0
Alex_C
I'll check the width at the chainstays tomorrow. There is plenty of room around the 43mm tires.
Quote 0 0
Wrathbringer27
Alex_C wrote:
I'll check the width at the chainstays tomorrow. There is plenty of room around the 43mm tires.

Awesome thanks! I was told max is 45c but their video says 50c hmm 
Quote 0 0
gwertheim
Alex_C wrote:

Any specific parts you got which work well with the bike like a certain bottom bracket? 
Quote 0 0
Alex_C
My 43mm GKSK tires measure 45mm inflated on my WTB i23 KOM rims. I'd say this is a realistic maximum width for the chainstays. The chainstay width is ~58mm, although I checked without removing my wheel, so take that measurement with a grain of salt. A larger tire may fit, but there won't be enough clearance for mud, imo.
Quote 0 0
Wrathbringer27
Alex_C wrote:
My 43mm GKSK tires measure 45mm inflated on my WTB i23 KOM rims. I'd say this is a realistic maximum width for the chainstays. The chainstay width is ~58mm, although I checked without removing my wheel, so take that measurement with a grain of salt. A larger tire may fit, but there won't be enough clearance for mud, imo.

That's good enough I guess
Quote 0 0
Alex_C
gwertheim wrote:

Any specific parts you got which work well with the bike like a certain bottom bracket? 

My current build:
ICAN X-Gravel frameset @ 54cm
Shimano RS-505 brifters & calipers.
160mm CL rotors
Shimano Ultegra SM-BBR60 bottom bracket
Shimano 6800 Ultegra crankset @165mm
Shimano 5800 105 derailleurs, long cage rear
4iii Precision powermeter
WTM i23 KOM wheelset
GKSK 43mm tires
FSA Gossamer 42cm drop bars

Former build changes:
Shimano 5800 105 brifters
Tektro Lyra front caliper
Tektro MD-C550 rear caliper
Aeorus AL24 wheelset
GKSK 35mm tires
Aeorus 44cm drop bars
Quote 2 0
NorthboundRick
Alex_C wrote:

My current build:
ICAN X-Gravel frameset @ 54cm
Shimano RS-505 brifters & calipers.
160mm CL rotors
Shimano Ultegra SM-BBR60 bottom bracket
Shimano 6800 Ultegra crankset @165mm
Shimano 5800 105 derailleurs, long cage rear
4iii Precision powermeter
WTM i23 KOM wheelset
GKSK 43mm tires
FSA Gossamer 42cm drop bars

Former build changes:
Shimano 5800 105 brifters
Tektro Lyra front caliper
Tektro MD-C550 rear caliper
Aeorus AL24 wheelset
GKSK 35mm tires
Aeorus 44cm drop bars

Nice build, what is the weight and have you taken it out on gravel yet?

-Cheers,
Rick
Quote 0 0
Alex_C

Nice build, what is the weight and have you taken it out on gravel yet?

-Cheers,
Rick

Haven't weighed it, much lighter than my wife's Giant Revolt Advanced 2. I have ~500miles on the bike. 100miles on the latest components. The bike is great, much better than I am. 
Quote 0 0
Alex_C
Alex_C wrote:

Haven't weighed it, much lighter than my wife's Giant Revolt Advanced 2. I have ~500 gravel miles on the bike. 100miles on the latest components. The bike is great, much better than I am. 
Quote 0 0
Alex_C
Mid ride pic, course was fairly wet. Had a blast!
IMG_20200801_104016844.jpg 
Quote 0 0
Wrathbringer27
Alex_C wrote:
Mid ride pic, course was fairly wet. Had a blast!
IMG_20200801_104016844.jpg 

Damn, looks good. Do you think it's below 8kg? 
Quote 0 0
Alex_C
I wish I could give you an accurate number on weight. I'd guess 20lbs? I'll drag out a scale, weigh myself, then weigh myself holding the bike. This'll give me a more accurate number. I'll post tomorrow, if my fat @ss doesn't break the scale.
Quote 0 0
Wrathbringer27
Awesome, thanks! 
Quote 0 0
NorthboundRick
Really like the UD Matt look (assuming this is what you have Alex_C). Is this straight Carbon or do they put a clear coat on it? Also, since it looks like you have Shinmano Ultegra and 105 on your rig, which BB did you use? Shimano Ultegra BBR60?
Thanks!
Quote 0 0
Alex_C
The UD Matte is paint, if that was the question. No clear coat. Dirt washes off pretty easily, that was my main concern. I did use the Ultegra BBR60. I had posted the build components earlier (5 or 6 replies earlier), if you want to take a look.
Quote 0 0
Alex_C
I weighed myself with the bike then subtracted my weight. Came out to 23.6lbs. Once I emptied the bags of gels, CO2 cartridges, extra tube and tools, the bike came in at 20.4lbs. This includes the empty bags and bottle cages. 
Quote 0 0
NorthboundRick
Thanks Alex_C, 20.4 lbs = 9.25kg, which is heavier than expected, but it sounds like you still have empty bags/power meter and maybe others stuff on there. Anyways, interesting that your configuration is close to what I currently look at, mechanical only, no electric/hyd gear.
-Rick

Alex_C wrote:
I weighed myself with the bike then subtracted my weight. Came out to 23.6lbs. Once I emptied the bags of gels, CO2 cartridges, extra tube and tools, the bike came in at 20.4lbs. This includes the empty bags and bottle cages. 
Quote 0 0
Wrathbringer27
Thanks Alex_C, 20.4 lbs = 9.25kg, which is heavier than expected, but it sounds like you still have empty bags/power meter and maybe others stuff on there. Anyways, interesting that your configuration is close to what I currently look at, mechanical only, no electric/hyd gear.
-Rick

Hyd? Why no hydraulics? I'm looking at a full carbon built. Mostly sourced on Ali. Only groupset is will not be a sensah. Planning for GRX800 groupset. 

However I do plan to build up a really lightweight climbing bike with fully Chinese parts. 
Quote 0 0
Wrathbringer27
Alex_C wrote:

Thank you for the numbers. I am trying to hit the 8kg mark and not above 8.3kg. Let's see what I can do. 
Quote 1 0