CC
Just got a $100 gift card for Jenson, and was looking at hydraulic brakes for my Raleigh Tamland.  The mechanical TRPs on it now are 'so-so' compared to the XT brakes I have on my Vaya.  I would much rather have something perform close to those XTs.

I'm using a Jones H-Bar on my Tamland, with a set of Shimano BL-R550 Flat Bar levers.

I was thinking either the TRP HY/RD or the Shimano RS685.

Not too concerned about price.  Just want the best possible set.  I'll be keeping this bike for a long while. [smile]

Either one should work on my setup, right?

And which do you guys suggest/prefer.

Thanks!
Quote 0 0
BluesDawg
How are you planning to mount road bike brake levers on your Jones bars? Seems to me you would do better to put MTB brakes on it. Why not put XT brakes on it if you like them? The new SRAM Guide brakes would be another good option.
Quote 0 0
CC
I already have these mounted on.  Shimano BL-R550 Flat Bar.

I'm just looking for hydraulic brake calipers now.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Xez6GuyoL._SY355_.jpg
Quote 0 0
BluesDawg
Then you are wanting cable actuated hydraulic disc brakes. The TRP HY/RDs would work, not the Shimano RS685 which have to be paired with hydraulic levers.
Quote 0 0
CC
BluesDawg wrote:
Then you are wanting cable actuated hydraulic disc brakes. The TRP HY/RDs would work, not the Shimano RS685 which have to be paired with hydraulic levers.

I see....

hhhmmm...I suppose I cold get a pair of Shimano XT BL-M785 hydraulic brake levers then.

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-BL-M785-Right-Brake-Lever/dp/B008OHDLU2/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1440494954&sr=1-5&keywords=xt+brake+levers

Really wanting to replicate the performance and feel of the XTs I have.

Thanks!
Quote 0 0
BluesDawg
I don't think you can mix the road brakes with the MTB levers. But why make it so complicated anyway? Is there some reason you don't want to use the full matching set of XT brakes and XT levers?
Quote 0 0
DrSpoke
I agree with BluesDawg re the XTs.  That is, if you are using flat bars just go with full hydraulic - levers and calipers.  The Shimano brakes seem to be the standard whether XTR, XT or SLX.  Just pick your price point - all work great.
Quote 0 0
CC
XT it is then.

I was initially just thinking of changing the brake calipers as I already had the flatbar brake levers, but overlooked the fact that hydraulic calipers would require the corresponding calipers.

Thanks!

Quote 0 0