Coach
Title pretty much sums it up.

I am in riding the Almanzo for the first time with  a couple other guys. Gravel newbies.

How to handle food and hydration. I am pretty comfortable with the food part, but the hydration part I have questions about. Can I plan on getting water along the way? I see the info email says water at mile 40 and 63. Can I rely on that?

I was thinking a camelback and a couple large bottles. That would be about 4 hours worth of water.

Any advice from some experienced guys?
Quote 0 0
.Cricket
http://ridinggravel.forumchitchat.com/post/long-races-and-water-6747177?pid=1281465752#post1281465752

This thread has some good advice, particularly kennyd posted a chart for some starting points.  

Otherwise, good luck!  Maybe I'll see ya there! 
Quote 0 0
Coach
Thanks for the reply. I am pretty solid on what I need to drink. Just curious if I can rely on those stations to have water for 1600 people.

Quote 0 0
Clodhopper
I'm doing my first Almanzo as well, but here is what I know.

The 40-mile water is the town of Preston. You should be able to find something liquid in or around that town (including a beer tent apparently). This is also the one place where you can get outside support.

If the course is the same as the 2013 version, mile 63 is in the middle of nowhere, so it must be some sort of aid station. 

If you find yourself in a dehydration situation, STOP AT A FARM. If nothing else, they'll point you to a hydrant so you can refill. I know you're supposed to be totally self-supported on this ride, but if you're in trouble, get help.

Seeya in a month
Quote 0 0
Coach
Thanks man!!
Quote 0 0