mtnbike
Building up a 650b wheelset. Tire decision is down to the Gravelking SK or the Venture.
Anyone have experience with both tires and which do you prefer? Will be riding road, gravel, dirt or whatever presents itself. Let me know your thoughts Thanks!
Quote 0 0
epzamora
Sorry, I do not have experience with either, but my buddy has GK SKs, and though i've read plenty of praise for them, they just don't "seem" to be anything special to me. Simply good tires, so you can't really go wrong. Now I'm a fan of WTB tires... and personally my interest is piqued by the Ventures.

If you go with the Ventures, please post your thoughts after riding them for awhile.

My LBS owner rides the same bike i do, a steel Norco Search XR, and he just moved to 650b Schwalbe Thunder Burts (2.1) and LOVES them for riding fast on dirt and gravel. 

eric/fresno, ca.
Quote 0 0
chas
What size?  My only experience with the 48x650b was when a friend was riding on them and I was on Rambler 700x40.  He is a lot stronger than me and this was a road ride (~27-30mph), but he just couldn't hang on the GK-SK.  I was surprised they were so slow (although the weight wasn't helping).  

I'll say with the Thunder Burts - they make my bike handle and feel like a mountain bike.  Its odd, but it feels like a monster truck tire - slow to respond, noisy cornering on pavement.  But they are fast and great on dirt - where the slower handling adds to stability.    That is probably going to be my choice for 650b - as I'm using that size for rougher rides.  But WTB has some interresting tires.   This site has some great reviews for WTB resolutes (but they are only 42mm in 650b?)
Quote 0 0
Bobby901
I have been riding the WTB Resolutes (42)- good all around tire, nothing special but no problems. 
Quote 0 0
fourfa
I've been using the Ventures as my main 650B tire (also have a set of 700C with race rubber for roadie days).  I haven't used the SKs.  Do the Ventures roll as well as my GP5000TLs at 90psi - no they do not.  I've only used them at 40psi on the road as that's the max for my rim, and I usually deflate some when I get to the trail (need to get a pressure gauge for this as I'm never sure how far I drop).  My pair weighed in at 537.1g and 540.3g.  I find they roll well enough on pavement that I don't feel stuck in molasses (but definitely 2-4mph slower than the GPs), they roll quietly, they have great traction on fire roads, pea gravel, and dry ruts.  I find them OK/good enough on loose-over-hard - at 200+ lbs I sometimes have traction issues getting started on steep hills or braking hard on steep loose downhills, but I probably need to spend more time on rides stopping to adjust pressure.  They're not suitable for thick gooey mud.
Quote 1 0
valve_timing
i just ordered a pair of gk sk 650bx48 really interested to so how they perform i ride pavement gravel and occasionally singletrack.
Quote 0 0
chas
Cool, let us know!   I think they'll be fine if your not trying to keep up with roadies (maybe 2-4mph slower than GP5000 like fourfa said.
Quote 0 0
mtnbike
Ended up ordering the SK based on the reviews I've read and price. Will give these tires a go and see where they take me.
Quote 0 0
valve_timing
yeah for sure  i think ill be able to manage 19-21 with them i did it on clement mso 36mm  so yeah we will see. i'm the wtb horizon right now 650x47 and they roll perfect 
Quote 0 0
cperdue
I have experience with both tires.  The GK SKs and the Venture 47s on Stans Crest 650 rims.  The Ventures measured out at 48mm, while the GK hits about 52.  The Gravel King is the most supple tire I've had on my gravel bike, and they are what I have on now.  The Ventures are bombproof-  they've become a popular tire in the mid-south among rocky gravel.  I will say that I had 2 punctures with the GK that required a roadside plug (once with glass, the other I don't know).  I don't know if I got a bad tire or what, but I haven't had issue since.  Both feel about the same to me in terms of rolling resistance, but I really did notice the GK feeling more comfortable.  I'm sure the larger volume has something to do with that.  
Quote 0 0
valve_timing
I got mine today had to
mount them with tubes my shitty floor pump is t strong enough to get them to pop on tubeless tried the tube trick but no luck . So until I get access to a charge pump or air compressor. Side note do not try to mount tubeless tires while drinking you will end up drunk angry and still have unmounted tires.
Quote 0 0
NoCoGreg
Last year I switched from Donnoly/Clement MSO's to the GK-SK and really like the supple ride. BUT the downside is they're not the most sturdy tire and I punctured the rear 38mm SK. I'm 190# and was going hard on a downhill over some very sharp rough gravel (visualize railroad bed type crushed rock).  Had to plug the tire as the hole was too large for the sealant to work.  DNF'd the ride as I had lost much (most?) of my sealant between the puncture and the aid station.  I'd highly recommend the SK and still have the 43mm SK up front but have gone back to the 40mm MSO in the rear.  When the MSO wears out I'm thinking of going to a 43mm SK in the rear with the hope that the larger size will do better in rough terrain.  To make a supple light tire the maker has to sacrifice toughness & endurance.
Quote 0 0